“best fish in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Pesce

Il Pesce
Ranked #2,792 of 13,551 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood, Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Copake, New York
“best fish in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

everything fresh and deliciously prepared. crudo, razor clams extra good, lobster superb, and so on and so on. Get there early for lunch or dinner so that you can get a table.

Visited January 2014

• Korean first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“YUM!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is lunchtime on steroids. Wow. I highly recommend the razor clams (these were a special that day), but really, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. It was packed, so we sat at the kitchen window stools, which was a treat. We could see all the food we never had the stomach room or the time to eat. The fritti misti appetizier was delicious -- last time I had it prepared that fantastically, I was on the Amalfi Coast. The whole fish is swoon-worthy, and the oysters are reasonable priced and beautiful. A respectable wine list and great service. I'll be back.

• Visited November 2013
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Fresh and Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

After an early morning flight, my husband and I dropped our bags at the nearby Flatiron Hotel and headed to Eataly to beat the crowds and grab a seat for lunch at Il Pesce. There are several restaurant / dining options around Eataly. As seafood fans we chose this one. We laughed when before we were seated the waiter made sure we understood that this was NOT a "pizza or pasta" restaurant. Apparently others have assumed that it it's located within Eataly, those standards will be offered. We assured him that we were interested in the monkfish cheeks, oysters, and Spanish mackerel, among other things, not spaghetti and meatballs or pepperoni. The meal was truly outstanding and as the lunchtime crowd arrived not long behind us, we considered ourselves fortunately situated at our table. Service was both gracious and efficient. Food and beverages came promptly, but we did not feel rushed to finish our wine and clear out. A standout dish was the "bacon and egg" appetizer made with smoked sturgeon and a poached egg - magic. Fish in restaurants is so often disappointing, at Il Pesce it was fresh, interesting and cooked just right, not to a dry death. I only wish Il Pesce was closer to home.

• Visited January 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Quite divine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Perfectly executed meal, from the phenomenal Montauk oysters we started with, to a herbed fritto misto, grilled scallops, octopus salad, and even the roasted potatoes and spicy broccoli rabe contorni, this was an incredible offering in an informal setting. Solid service, nice wine list, and the noisy and bustling atmosphere just added to the enjoyability of the experience.

Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A wow moment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

My wife and I went to Eataly for the first time to see what kind of a place it was. We enjoyed looking at all the different food on display. When we got hungry around lunchtime, we looked around at the available restaurants and decided to try Il Pesce. We were ahead of the lunch crowd and so got seated right away by an unsmiling hostess who grunted an insincere, "Enjoy your meal." Good thing her cold attitude was not indicative of the rest of our experience. The other staff couldn't have been friendlier. They took our order promptly and got everything right the first time. They checked in on us every so often to make sure we had everything we needed. They took away our empty plates and used napkins. One person, who I think was a manager, even brought us extra bread when he saw that we had run out.

The highlight of the lunch, though, was the food. We ordered razor clams off the specials menu. A plate of about 10 large clams came out, dressed in olive oil, butter, chili pepper and lemon. We had never eaten razor clams before. My eyes literally rolled back inside my head when I had my first bite of the succulent, sweet shellfish, cooked to perfection--neither too raw nor overcooked. My wife agreed that it was the best seafood we had ever eaten. The sauce, I must say, was absolutely heavenly. We rarely eat more than a slice of bread with any meal, but we couldn't resist soaking up the sauce with the extra bread we were so generously give. The dandelion salad we ordered as an accompaniment was simple enough not to detract from the tasty clams. In contrast to the razor clams, I thought the skate filet we ordered as a second dish was too plain; however, my wife liked it and was planning on how she could replicate the item at home.

We ended our Eataly excursion with the purchase of a loaf of the rustic bread that we had with lunch, it was that good!

We definitely will be back for more razor clams!

• Visited May 2012