“Great value place to stay in NYC”
Review of Colonial House Inn

and 1 more site!
Colonial House Inn
Ranked #6 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed here for five days and found it a great base to visit the city for the first time. There is no lift and although the room wassmall it was clean (no bedbugs!) and it was more than adequate for what we needed. Breakfast was provided each morning which was great and made life a lot easier. The guy on the desk always greeted us with a smile and was very knowledgable and helpful. There was a roof deck but due to the time of year we didn't go up there. Location wise it was brilliant, close to the subway and the flat iron building. Overall it was a great value place to stay in Manhatten, something we originally thought was not possible and would highly recommend to other sightseers.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KateUK30

Reviewed February 13, 2011

My mom & I were spending a day in NYC and with an early morning ice storm predicted, we decided to take the train from Philly the night before to ensure our save arrival. Armed with my Frommer's guide book, I started dialing hotels in the Penn Station area with the hopes of finding a room for our 12:30 am arrival. Since I wanted to visit a Chelsea gallery, we were happy to discover that Colonial House Inn not only had a room with two beds & private bath available, they gave us a 10% off-season discount AND allowed us to book for just one night. (In high season, they have strict multi-night requirements.)

WHAT A FIND!!! It's easily accessible from the 23rd Street C/E train (one stop south of Penn Station). The three staff members with whom we spoke were all wonderful. Our room on the ground floor of this lovely townhouse was spacious (by NYC standards) and the bathroom was renovated. There's a computer work station (pay internet access), ironing board and phone books on the garden level, too. On the parlor floor is check-in and a lovely breakfast area - the breakfast was wonderful, especially with the awful weather. . .nice variety of foods/beverages. The manager let us peek into the parlor floor suite on the back of the building - BEAUTIFULLY renovated, tons of space, what a gorgeous space! Mom and & wandered upstairs to see the rest of the building - shared baths were all renovated, the owner's artwork hung throughout. The roof deck was closed, but the photos on the web site look lovely.

The only cons are that the shower water pressure was quite light and the radiator heat can be a bit loud (to be expected in all old buildings).

As usual, "Uncle Arthur" didn't steer us wrong. I wrote to Frommer's to thank them for including Colonial House Inn in their midtown recommendations. Our stay was one of the highlights of our brief, action-packed stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Martrese
Reviewed January 28, 2011

The Colonial Inn is a lovely B & B in the heart of Chelsea, surrounded by private galleries and excellent restaurants and easy walking or subway to many attractions, including the fantastic Chelsea Market. Our room was a good size, compared with what you would expect from a New York hotel. We chose a room with a private bath, but the shared bathroom was always clean. The friendly staff were very knowledgeable about the area, and had many good restaurant suggestions. They also give you the option of ordering take away delivered to the hotel, which you can have either in the breakfast/dining room or in your own room. And provided a folder full of local options, with a large variety options.
The breakfast was continental style with sweet muffins, English muffins, bagels and sliced bread to toast and a wide range of condiments including cream cheese, porridge, cereals and fruit. As well as teas, coffee and juices. Everything was fresh and replenished often. I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Noodlefish
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Perfect place to sleep, slap in the middle of Chelsea, we walked to most places from here, and it had a nice feeling of being in the hood. the rooms are small but NY delivers that for the price. But it is extremely clean and neat, the breakfast is filling and healthy, fresg eggs, fruit breads. the staff are friendly and helpful. great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SLEEPYHENS
Reviewed January 15, 2011

My girlfriend and I travelled to New York City for the New Year's Eve celebration and stayed 4 nights at the Colonial House Inn. I don't think i will ever stay anywhere else if I travel to NYC again! The subway station is right around the corner as well as plenty of restaurants, bars, shops and entertainment.

The staff here is very friendly and helpful. We ahd a few questions about the area and the information we received was excellent. The location is also very secure as you have to be buzzed in 24 hours a day.

The room was very clean. I was somewhat worried about the cleanliness of the shared bathrooms but they are VERY clean. The bathroom was only occupied when I needed it once and I just went upstairs.

The rooms are very small but you really shouldn't be spending much time in the room anyway. We stayed in room 15 which Is the smallest of all the rooms. It had a bed, end table, closet, tv, sink and a chair. Pretty much the bare essentials.

The breakfast was certainly suffcient: juice, milk, coffee, tea, cereal, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs and more.

My biggest reccomendation of entertainment in the area is Gotham Comedy Club. It is one block over and we had an amazing time. there are also plenty of other places to visit so walk around Chelsea and drop into somewhere new.

I cannot think of one negative aspect of my stay. I would certainly reccomend this location to anyone I know and will certainly return some day. You will not regret staying at the Colonial House Inn.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AaronM313
Reviewed January 11, 2011

My friends and I ALWAYS wanted to 'do' Times Square for New Year's Eve. Last year we found this hotel and it had great reviews. With high hopes, a whole year in advance, twelve of us altogether made reservations for the nights surrounding New Year's. While only six were actually able to make the trip, we were not disappointed! The people working at Colonial House were friendly and helpful in answering our questions AND making suggestions for things to do and see.

The rooms, while small and unusually shaped, were clean and comfortable and well equipped. They included a safe, a flat screen tv and a refrigerator. The hotel has wi fi which they charge a small fee to use. We all got the rooms with private baths which were very nice.

A continental breakfast in included in the cost of the room. There were many choices of muffins, bagels and breads, plus fruits and oatmeal, juices and teas and coffees. The small dining room was very active throughout the morning and people chatted throughout the meal.

The subway stop was right around the corner and there were many great restaurants within two blocks of our place. The neighborhood is Chelsea and next time I'd spend time wandering around nearby the hotel more than we did this trip.

They have a couple of larger rooms but I didn't see either of them.

We didn't have a car so I didn't have to worry about parking in NYC anywhere!

If you stay away from the big chain hotels and would choose a 'local, old-fashioned' hotel in Europe, Colonial House is for you!

We already have our reservations for next year!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank traylee8
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Damn! As so often happens, a nice place run by gays for gays has been discovered and completely overrun by straights. I've been coming here for years and it is a true find - cheap, cheerful and with a great location, not to mention nude sun bathing on the roof! On this most recent trip it was 90% straight! Soon there will be complaints about same-sex hand holding. That is my only complaint about this charming guest house in the heart of Chelsea.

• Stayed: December 2010