Colonial House Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The GEM Hotel Chelsea(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
Chelsea Savoy Hotel(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Dream Downtown(New York City)
  • Pool
The High Line Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Maritime Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Chelsea Pines Inn(New York City)
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bshared bathroomeconomy roombagelsno elevatorprivate bathchelsea districtguest houserooftop areanew yorkboiled eggsmetro stopbed and breakfastthe high lineeach morningquiet streetnice breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2011

My girlfriend and I travelled to New York City for the New Year's Eve celebration and stayed 4 nights at the Colonial House Inn. I don't think i will ever stay anywhere else if I travel to NYC again! The subway station is right around the corner as well as plenty of restaurants, bars, shops and entertainment.

The staff here is very friendly and helpful. We ahd a few questions about the area and the information we received was excellent. The location is also very secure as you have to be buzzed in 24 hours a day.

The room was very clean. I was somewhat worried about the cleanliness of the shared bathrooms but they are VERY clean. The bathroom was only occupied when I needed it once and I just went upstairs.

The rooms are very small but you really shouldn't be spending much time in the room anyway. We stayed in room 15 which Is the smallest of all the rooms. It had a bed, end table, closet, tv, sink and a chair. Pretty much the bare essentials.

The breakfast was certainly suffcient: juice, milk, coffee, tea, cereal, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs and more.

My biggest reccomendation of entertainment in the area is Gotham Comedy Club. It is one block over and we had an amazing time. there are also plenty of other places to visit so walk around Chelsea and drop into somewhere new.

I cannot think of one negative aspect of my stay. I would certainly reccomend this location to anyone I know and will certainly return some day. You will not regret staying at the Colonial House Inn.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AaronM313
Reviewed January 11, 2011

My friends and I ALWAYS wanted to 'do' Times Square for New Year's Eve. Last year we found this hotel and it had great reviews. With high hopes, a whole year in advance, twelve of us altogether made reservations for the nights surrounding New Year's. While only six were actually able to make the trip, we were not disappointed! The people working at Colonial House were friendly and helpful in answering our questions AND making suggestions for things to do and see.

The rooms, while small and unusually shaped, were clean and comfortable and well equipped. They included a safe, a flat screen tv and a refrigerator. The hotel has wi fi which they charge a small fee to use. We all got the rooms with private baths which were very nice.

A continental breakfast in included in the cost of the room. There were many choices of muffins, bagels and breads, plus fruits and oatmeal, juices and teas and coffees. The small dining room was very active throughout the morning and people chatted throughout the meal.

The subway stop was right around the corner and there were many great restaurants within two blocks of our place. The neighborhood is Chelsea and next time I'd spend time wandering around nearby the hotel more than we did this trip.

They have a couple of larger rooms but I didn't see either of them.

We didn't have a car so I didn't have to worry about parking in NYC anywhere!

If you stay away from the big chain hotels and would choose a 'local, old-fashioned' hotel in Europe, Colonial House is for you!

We already have our reservations for next year!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank traylee8
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Damn! As so often happens, a nice place run by gays for gays has been discovered and completely overrun by straights. I've been coming here for years and it is a true find - cheap, cheerful and with a great location, not to mention nude sun bathing on the roof! On this most recent trip it was 90% straight! Soon there will be complaints about same-sex hand holding. That is my only complaint about this charming guest house in the heart of Chelsea.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank dublin7guy
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Our was-unfortunately-not a pleasure trip. Rather, it was a family emergency. Tony and his staff did everything to accommodate our needs. Our schedules changed multiple times, and they found us space. We hope that our next trip will be for pleasure. Regardless, we are certain of one thing. Our accommodations will be at the Colonial House Inn.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank mfsPortland
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Without a doubt Colonial House has all the others beat in terms of location, rooms, cleanliness, friendliness and bang for the buck. We have been going there for years and are pleased that they stay on top of the competition in this fiercely competitive city. Special kudos to the manager, Tony, and his staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business