“Great location in the centre of it all”
Review of Colonial House Inn

Colonial House Inn
Ranked #6 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our initial experience at check in wasn't very comforting..... but the rest of our stay made up for it!!

The room was comfortable & tidy.... a bit dilapidated though for the price we thought but that's NY I guess.

Bagels, cupcakes (YUM), fruit & coffee for breakfast every morning was great!

The Colonial House Inn was in the best area of Chelsea & most things.... if it wasn't then it was easy to get to! There is a fantastic coffee house - Grumpy which is on 20th (between 8 & 7)...also try Forage on the corner for lunch/dinner

Thanks to Tony & his crew for making our first visit a wonderful time & we'll be staying there again next time

Room Tip: If you don't like sharing bathrooms then make sure you get a room that has it's own. Ask fo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheekyaussie

Reviewed September 19, 2012

It is rare to find accommodations in the city that are clean, safe, and affordable. Colonial House Inn was exactly that.
My room was one floor up from the lobby. It overlooked West 22nd Street. I had a comfortable bed, satellite TV, and a sink with hot and cold water. The shared bathroom was nearby and I did not have any trouble getting access to it when needed (it was also immaculately clean).
Each morning I got coffee and a banana – I preferred to poke around in the City for breakfast but there were definitely breakfast options available from 7-10 a.m.
There was someone on duty at the desk 24 hours a day to buzz me in.
Subway access was within a block or two, as well as plenty of dining options of all kinds. The staff at the “Forager’s Table” at 22nd and 8th were especially friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable about food.
I did venture up to the rooftop area to check it out right before leaving today; it is a nice plus to an already pleasant place!
I would also mention the artwork throughout the Colonial House. It added a neat aesthetic to the place, and I enjoyed the way it carried through all of the floors and (I assume) all of the rooms.

Room Tip: The shared bathroom was immaculate but if you hate sharing bathrooms with other guests, make sure an...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank tenwaymom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The location is ideal and the staff is very friendly. It was a very clean house and the room and bathroom were tidy. My friend and I traveled together and shared the queen bed which was enough room. Also, I have seen smaller rooms in NYC so it wasn't bad, especially since we had a beautiful view of the street and our own mirror and sink. Sharing a bathroom with the floor is no big deal. I wish we could've gotten eggs and/or other protein options at breakfast but there are plenty of cafes nearby to pop in for an omelet or egg sandwich.

My only complaint is that our bed was pretty hard. Fortunately, I sleep on my stomach so it wasn't a horrible experience but my friend sleeps on her back and every morning she expressed how sore her back was...We were relieved to come back home to our soft comfy beds. I think it was the hardest bed I have ever slept on at a B&B/hotel. We sent an email to the owner hoping he'd have a resolution for us, but he didn't respond, soo... we just dealt with it. Anyway, it would have been the perfect, five-star stay had that been different.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank devrose11
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Cute place, nice location, clean rooms, friendly staff. The shared bathroom with the room i got wasnt a problem and the ac was nice and cold. Close to the chelsea market and cute restaurants. Cupcakes with breakfast!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Omgpbj
Reviewed August 13, 2012

It was our first trip to NYC and we made the right decision in staying at the Colonial House Inn! We stayed in a room that included a full bath/shower, large closet and queen size bed. The location was great! We were in walking distance to many restaurants, transportation, Highline Park and the Chelsea Market. Breakfast was good with plenty of options. The staff were friendly and helpful.

If you are a light sleeper like me, pack earplugs. The air conditioner is very loud and we had to keep it on during the night because the weather was very humid.

Overall, the atmosphere is very welcoming and the Inn has a lot of character and details that I kept discovering throughout our visit.

Room Tip: If you like to have an early start to your day, book a room with a full bath and shower.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Joanne M
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Great inn, especially the location: bang in the centre of Chelsea near the underground taking you to all the tourist hotspots, which is very helpful when you, like us, only have a few days to explore New York. Plus, the highline ( a New York City linear park built on a 1.45-mile section of the former elevated New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line), which was one of the highlights of our trip, is only a short walk away, as are the Chelsea Markets. Feels safe and lots of restaurants in the neighbourhood too.
We came during the July heatwave and had a bit of trouble sleeping given that the AC is not that strong (and too noisy to leave on all night - bring earplugs) but otherwise liked our room. Sure, it's tiny, but hey it's New York! Seemed clean, and while we had a shared bathroom, we had a sink and mirror in the room.
Breakfast was passable, could be better, for sure. We ended up buying nice muffins/pastries at the shop down the road, and just drinking the inn's coffee.
The free tea during the day is a nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sarahmarsh85
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We had a spacious room for NYC, with a full bath/shower, large closet, and queen bed. The location is great - 2 blocks to the subway and Highline Park. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included, with breads and cereals, coffee, tea, and CUPCAKES. They charge $3/day for internet access which only gives access to one device/room. The air conditioner was noisy, typical of a NYC hotel. The bed and pillows were not comfortable. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: No elevator, so don't choose this place if you can't walk up stairs. The staff will transpor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple