“Excellent stay”
Review of Colonial House Inn

Colonial House Inn
Ranked #6 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had a fabulous stay for 16 nights at the Inn. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Wyn, who does the overnight/breakfast shift is a real treasure - welcoming; knowledgeable and warm. We had a room with bathroom which I'd recommend .. it gave us a bit more room and privacy ..
The breakfasts were good; and the location is perfect: You're less than 1 min from the subway; supermarket (just around the corner on W21st), eating places and launderette (just around the corner 302W 8th Av is fantastic service)
The street is very quiet we got excellent sleep .. when we found the time to :)

Room Tip: If you are traveling with large suitcases ask for something on the lower floors - the staircase is q...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gwnznz

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night. It is located comfortably close to great restaurants, the Highline Park and night spots in Chelsea.
The room was small, I had to climb over the bed to get to the window and aircon, however, for the area and the price, its what I expected. The buildings in the area are older, but its a charming hotel with very friendly staff.
The metro station is located within walking distance. If you are up for a comfortable walk, Penn station is also within reach.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a shared bathroom, so if this does not work for you, be sure to book a room with a p...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SATraveller25
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My daughter and I had a great stay at this lovely hotel. We have stayed in New York three times and this was by far the best place. The hotel is an old Brownstone in a lovely quiet leafy street and was the perfect retreat after a hot and tiring day of sightseeing. We didn't hear any noise from the street which is amazing considering how busy the city is day and night.The location was excellent,Chelsea is a vibrant colourful district and you certainly get the authentic New York experience just by wandering around the nearby streets, yet it feels friendly and safe at all times. There are two excellent delis (one on the corner with eigth avenue) where you can get fantastic cheesecake and picnic fare plus numerous restaurants and food stores .The hotel has tea ,coffee (and cakes) on tap all day and the owner is very relaxed about people bringing in their own food. We often had a nightcap on the roof garden and admired the NY skyline by night (beware mozzies if you do this in summer).The highline garden is a couple of blocks away as is the Empire diner which featured in the film men in black, both are well worth a visit.There are three main metro lines very close by which made getting around very easy-pay for the weekly ticket which comes with a map and is very reasonable.
The hotel itself was very comfortable,we had reservations about sharing a bathroom but it wasn't a problem, I had a shower every afternoon and night due to the heat and there was never a clash.The rooms ,bathrooms and bedding were kept immaculately clean by the friendly maids and the matresses were really soft and comfortable. Getting all our belongings and clothes to fit was a packing challenge and the room was quite small but it's par for the course in NY and for the price .If you like a lot of space book one of their suites.The aircon was a bit noisy but did a good job (essential as it hit ninety degrees the week we went). There was a DIY continental breakfast which was basic but nice, we especially liked the bagels, cream cheese and fresh coffee. The overall atmoshere of the place was really relaxed and it felt like a home from home. I agree with some of the other reviewers that some staff were much more helpful than others. Tony the owner was particularly nice and nothing was too much trouble, he had our bags carried down the stairs for us and made lots of helpful suggestions about restaurants etc. I would check where your room is as the stairs are very steep and there isn't a lift , this would definitely be an issue if you had any sort of walking difficulty. My daughter and I struggled to get our suitcases up two flights of stairs on arrival and unfortunately Tony was not there to help,so check when you book if this is likely to be a problem. Chelsea is a gay district and this hotel is gay friendly but we straights (I think that's the right term) were made to feel very welcome .
I would definitely go to this hotel again it is a clean friendly quiet relaxed comfortable base in a fantastic location .

Room Tip: Room 20 was a nice quiet room at back but it was up two flights of stairs so only for the fit. Ask w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank redforpluck
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This Hotel has a wonderful staff ( especially Lillian), is very clean and nicely located. Subway station just a block away with plenty of restaurants and services close by as well. The breakfast offerings were pretty plain and our bed was hard. We will check before returning to see if the mattresses have improved. I love NYC!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Very Glad we stayed here for 11 nights in May. Well priced (- well the best value I could find in NYC), the rooms and shared bathrooms were always clean and the staff were very friendly - of course the place isnt perfect ( and we couldnt expect it to be) - but It didnt bother us as we were out and about most days and the price was right.

After reading how small the rooms were, we were pleasantly surprised with our standard room - as although it was small by world standards, this was NYC! we had more than enough room for two people and we were there for 11 nights. Bed very comfy, Linen good, with a good air conditioning unit.

Location - it was situated in a very safe and lively area close to transportation, restaurants and the tree lined streets of Chelsea was a welcome respite after tourist meccas like time square etc.

Would stay again for sure, but wished next time they had free wifi or costed it in to the price of the room.

Room Tip: If you can, spend the extra for the larger rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Great location, friendly staff, but details were lacking!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Having been to NYC numerous times and having an aunt that lived a few blocks from the B&B, i was aware that this was a good location. The entrance to the Brownstone of the inn was lovely! The interior is nicely decorated and immaculate!! Very easy to get around, near the subway, the high line, fashion district, etc. Many great restaurants in the area too! The staff was very nice. I had a room with a private bath for 3 nights and had to switch to an economy room on the last night. The superior room with bath was great. Beautiful bathroom, all new! Had a (nonworking) fireplace in the room. Bed was comfy and direct TV was provided. Minimal fee of $3.00 per 24 hours if you want wifi (that is a lot less than the hotels charge). The economy room is tiny, but more than sufficient as the shared bathroom was just a few steps away. Felt very safe here. Word to the wise. On the phone I was told I would move just once due to limited room availability. When I arrived I was told I'd move twice (the 3rd night to another private bath room on another floor). Not sure why. When I pressed the issue, it wasn't really answered. So I packed my things on day 3 of my stay for moving before I went down for breakfast and was told that I didn't have to move until the next day as planned. When I asked why, I got a response to the effect of, "well if you had called me" to which I replied "why would I call you when this was confirmed at check in". Those things were frustrating, but not enough to make me not stay there again. Oh and the breakfast was great!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo