“Amazing indian food”
Review of The MasalaWala

The MasalaWala
Reserve with OpenTable
The MasalaWala is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #747 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: East Houston Street
Transit: MTA Subway: 2 Ave. (F) Delancey St. (F) Essex St. (J, M, Z)
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went last week to the MasalaWala and stumbled in a great restaurant.
My girlfriend and I are both fond of the Indian cuisine.
We started with the Kolkata Gobi Manchurian (slightly spice cauliflower) and Papri Chaat (a sort of cold salad) which we shared. The owner recommended us the cauliflower.
As a main course I took the Navratan Korma and my girlfriend took the Chicken Shahi Korma, which
again we shared.
As drinks I asked for a mango lassi and my girlfriend tried the rose lassi. Both were good, but not amazing.
In both dishes the korma sauce was very good, but we both preferred the Navratan Korma. The variety of fresh vegetables and pineapple suited the korma much better.
The main dishes are served with basmati rice and we asked for some butter naan bread as well. The naan bread was truly delicious!
We finished our dinner with Gulab Jamun and ChaiWala. The chai was better than average and the Gulab Jamun was amazing (if you like very sweet).

Throughout the evening the waiters were very friendly. The owner was extremely helpful. We promised him to recommend the restaurant to friends in the city...

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went out there for dinner. What amazing food! They certainly know their curries, great tastes. I had lamb which is easily ruined but it was excellent. My wife had chicken that was cooked to perfection. Not dry, and very tasty. The owner told me had only opened recently (around 9 months ago), yet this place is a sure winner we think. In fact we seldomly had dinner this good! Service is typically Indian; always ready and polite but never pushy.

Eventhough our stay in NYC was short, we actually went back a second time!

1  Thank elizabetht649
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I discovered the MasalaWala thanks to tripadvisor and I'm glad that I did it. I was craving some Indian food for my NYC trip and altough I had a cold I can say that this is the best Indian place that I have ever eaten.

I made a reservation online, it was unnecesary though, Thursday night (11pm) and we were the only ones at this comfy restaurant.

Me and my SO ordered some chicken appetizers, a tandoor grilled lamb (delicious) and a spinach curry (delicious too) and garlic naan, the food had the right spiceness and it tasted fresh, the quantity was excellent.

Best thing was the service, we met the owner, the MasalaWala himself, a great and friendly guy that offered us Kulfi, Indian pistachio ice cream, one of the most delicious ice creams that I have ever tried, creamy, spicy.

Overall I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that is in NYC, one of the best dining experiences ever. Thank you MasalaWala and tripadvisor, the only bad thing is that I don't have a MasalaWala or anything similar in my town.

1  Thank luisbs7
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Motivated by all the good reviews on this site, I made a reservation online, which was easy (though admittedly unnecessary because there weren't many people there at 7:30 on a Friday night). In any event, the food here was decent; not bad, but not spectacular. I tend to judge my Indian restaurants based on how well they do two staple dishes: chicken tikka masala and saag (aka palak). In this case, both of these dishes at MasalaWala were a little too subtle for my taste - too much cream and not enough flavor. That said, the Kolkata Gobi Manchurian cauliflower appetizer was quite tasty, reminding me of a Chinese restaurant's sesame chicken (with the cauliflower passing very convincingly as chicken). Seating is a little tight, but the decor is interesting (Indian pottery and crafts on a bookshelf in the back of the place). Service was attentive, perhaps too attentive due in large part to magnificently tiny drinking glasses that needed constant refilling (get some bigger ones MasalaWala!). We did meet the owner - the MasalaWala himself - whose face is emblazoned on the restaurant's logo. He was friendly, but was constantly goading me to review the restaurant online. Well, here ya go.

1  Thank pizzatooth
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I found the MasalaWala through tripadvisor while researching our trip to New York City. I'm glad I did my homework. The MasalaWala was great. Service was excellent. We were even greeted by the owner. The food was delicious. We were five eating that night and we all ordered different things and tried each other's dishes. Everything tasted fresh and very flavourful. My daughters don't like spicy food but my husband does. They made the dishes exactly to our liking. The prices were resonable and well worth a visit. My next trip to New York will definately include a visit to the MasalaWala.