“"Curry lover endorses Masalawala as best Indian restaurant in town!"”
Review of The MasalaWala

The MasalaWala
Reserve with OpenTable
The MasalaWala is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #747 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: East Houston Street
Transit: MTA Subway: 2 Ave. (F) Delancey St. (F) Essex St. (J, M, Z)
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Are you in the mood for mouth watering food from the exotic subcontinent of India? If you are then head to Masalawala! Everything from the food to the paintings on the wall are delectable!

It's hard to find such personal and friendly service these days in this bustling metropolis of NYC but at Masalawala you feel like you get the same greeting from the staff as you do from your family after a long time away from home! The baigan berta and chaat left me wanting more and more, which I could afford because of the extremely reasonable prices. If you haven't had a good meal that hits the spot, head to this restaurant, or even if you're tired from a night on the town, BYOB to Masalawala for a relaxing, fun way to end your evening.

I personally have been to a multitude of Indian restaurants, I have curry coming out of my ears! But none can compete with Masalawala's prices, food & ambience. Loved it!

1  Thank Urvashi B

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Great food and great service. The staff is very friendly and polite. We've been here three times and love the samosas chicken tikka masala and spinach panzer. They have rose lassis which are a rarity for me and a delicious treat. Today we enjoyed the Indian ice teas with honey mint and spice. Food is always fresh. A cute small place. Give it a try before going to the mercury lounge it is right near it. Check out the menu if you like Indian food you won't be disappointed. Moderately priced as well!

1  Thank Jordan1971
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have a low salt diet. i love Indian food. the Owner and Chefs made me a great tasting Indian dish with low salt. It was delis. GREAT owner. Photo below.

1  Thank Cole d
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We arrived at the Masalawala on a Saturday evening... a party of 4 with no reservation. The restaurant is small, with seating for about 30 and at 6:30 it was pretty full. The owner was really accommodating, though, and moved some tables around for us. But that was only the beginning of an amazing evening.

Be sure to order appetizers. They are served on small paper plates as the owner, the self proclaimed Masalawala td us, is how apps are served by street vendors in India. He is also ready to make recommendations, which are worth taking. They set the stage for a flavorful and enjoyable beginning to a great meal. And the entrees were as delicious as the apps.

The food makes it hard to save room for dessert, but missing dessert woul be a real shame. We ordered the rabri ras mali, a house speciality, and Galub Jamun (both amazing), and we're presented with a complimentary Falooda Kulfi (South Asian ice cream, which was surprisingly special.

All in all, this was a special evening and I know we'll be back soon. Large parties are difficult because the restaurant is small, but the delicious and perfectly prepared food, the warm atmosphere and impeccable and gracious service make this place a must.

1  Thank Jymfour
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is my favorite place to go for delicious Indian food that makes you feel really good. The menu is not only Indian, but a tribute to the street foods of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. Great spices that will tantalize your taste buds. I'm constantly discovering new dishes here that I never had before. It's a great lunch, dinner and late-night destination. The owners are warm and friendly and the menu goes well beyond the usual. There's a great vibe here and a real effort to make customers happy. It's always great when chefs enjoy what they do. I always walk out of The Masalawala happier than when I went in. It's in a fairly busy location on the Lower East Side so don't expect a view or anything, but it's really all about the food. Trust me, you'll crave it and want to come back again soon.

Went on a hot day recently and had the Mango Lassi, a mango smoothie with yogurt and mint. Delicious...perfect with a spicy dish.

1  Thank tom o