“Different Cultural Experiene”
Review of Once - A New Musical - CLOSED

Once - A New Musical
More attraction details
Owner description: Once is the celebrated new musical based on the Academy Award-winning film. It tells the story of an Irish musician and a Czech immigrant drawn together by their shared love of music. Over the course of one fateful week, their unexpected friendship and collaboration evolves into a powerful but complicated romance, heightened by the raw emotion of the songs they create together. Brought to the stage by an award-winning team of visionary artists and featuring an ensemble cast of gifted actor/musicians, once is a musical celebration of life and love: thrilling in its originality, daring in its honesty... and unforgettable in every way.
delaware
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Different Cultural Experiene”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My son formerly introduced us to the movie. The story-telling and music transferred to the stage play. It was good to share the Irish-Czech flavors.

Calgary, Canada
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Vastly different from other musicals!”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I personally found this musical a little slow paced for my taste. I would not recommend this musical if you are looking for something lighthearted and comedic. Even though, it was a touching and intimate musical you really do have to be in the mood to appreciate it. It is vastly different from the other musicals I have watched. Unlike other musicals, there is a band on stage playing traditional Irish music and a bar serving audience drinks. It was a little confusing as it was past the opening time but the band was still on stage playing music. After another 5-10 minutes no curtains went up or down, the play just began. Every cast member on the show played an musical instrument. You will notice a lot of the times, if the cast member is not playing a scene he/she is sitting on the side of the stage (visible to the audience) with an instrument in his/her hand. I personally do not think children would enjoy this musical.

1 Thank Charlene H
Buffalo, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Happens in Ireland but not Irish music”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Strange curtain opening. We arrived 20 minutes before curtain and there was a party on stage. Music and audience having a great time. Traditional Irish pub music. We thought this was a stage band and that the actors would be out after the curtain rises
Think again. While the audience is still chatting and checking emails and texts, the paly begins. No curtain
An excellent story with lots of humor. The music is not traditional Irish. Much more like folk popular.
Intermission invites the audience on stage for beers and drinks (too expensive but how can you resist the opportunity to be on a Broadway stage :-)
How the producers were able to find actors and actresses with such musical instrumental talent in addition to the ability to act and dance? Amazing.
There is now a touring company. See this if it comes to your local community

Lynbrook, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Worth seeing”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This past Sunday my sister and I took my 18 year old daughter to see Once. I enjoyed it more than I expected to, and I say this only because I didn't love the movie. If you are there a bit early performers are on the stage playing music. It went from them performing beforehand to the show beginning. The performers are on stage throughout the show and these are talented people. Singing, playing instruments and acting. The music was very enjoyable as was the entire show. I thought it was a unique performance and I'm so glad I saw I. May see it again as I think my husband would really enjoy it.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“So beautifully intimate.”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This musical is unlike any other I've ever been to. With such an intimate atmosphere, it was like experiencing the events first hand. Musicians were on stage as every one was being seated before the show and the audience was invited on stage during intermission. The music was beautiful.

It is a musical that was based on the movie of the same title. If you are someone who enjoyed the movie, then you will definitely love it. It was a Tony award recipient for a reason.

Visited May 2013