Once - A New Musical - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Once in Dallas

With no expectations except a single tremendous song, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this... read more

Reviewed August 19, 2015
MichaelKoch66
Dallas, Texas
via mobile
Wonderful!

Reviewed July 8, 2015
fidget013
New Jersey

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 19, 2015

With no expectations except a single tremendous song, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this show.

The cast and especially the leads were exceptionally powerful voices, I was captivated the entire show.

The story was good and the beginning is a great idea. .... ending. ... well you'll have to watch.

Take it for what it is. .... a good night out and fun.
Really? Vacuum repairman with that voice? :)

Reviewed August 11, 2015

The first 15 minutes or so were entertaining. The rest was monotonous, tedious, boring. There is not one memorable melody. I'm a musical lover; this doesn't come close to what I expected from an award winning Broadway show. This might be better in a small community theater, and shorten the running time.

2  Thank Dancer123567
Reviewed July 15, 2015

As a Broadway lover, we were really disappointed by this musical. My least favorite musical of all time. Not at all representative of the "big" shows--Phantom, Les Mis, Chicago, Newsies, etc. If you are coming to NYC for a short time, skip it......

1  Thank Elizabeth F
Reviewed July 8, 2015

I am so sad that this show closed in Broadway. It was wonderful! If you got there early, you could go on stage while the members of the show played on stage. It was such a unique experience that I have never had anywhere else on Broadway. The music was just perfect.

Reviewed June 14, 2015

Go early and share a brew on stage. The cast filters in and begins the music while you're there. Then you take your zippy cup drink to the audience seating, and the play goes full swing.

Reviewed June 4, 2015

Excellent show. Really enjoyed the chance for audience to walk on stage before it started, have a drink from its bar if one chose, and be close to the cast. Only disappointment - when one thinks of Irish music, one thinks of not only ballads, but lively motivating music. It would have been great to have included more upbeat music. After a standing ovation, there was no Encore, and that would have been a perfect time to play an ending lively piece of music, leaving their audience on a 'high' at the end of the show. Having said that, "Once" is a must see - incredible talent and great story.

1  Thank Jan_S163
Reviewed May 19, 2015 via mobile

I can not wait to see the show again. Yes story is nothing special but the live music and singing is 2nd to none. Bravo.

Reviewed May 10, 2015

I found this show and its reviews to be rather hyped up. The cast were wonderful and the main actor "Ian Lake" has a commanding and beautiful voice but the story lane was juvenile and the jokes lame. I was expecting more of the vibrant celtic music but the songs were slow and boring. We went for the late evening show and I found it hard to, not fall asleep

4  Thank vinsha
Reviewed May 6, 2015

We are avid theatre goers, and have seen every major show to come through Toronto for the last 20 years. This was a major disappointment. While the cast were all wonderful musicians and great singers, the story was lame, insipid, and so slow at times we thought the cast had forgotten their lines. Anything we would have paid for the tickets would have been too much.

5  Thank YaleHJ
Reviewed April 21, 2015 via mobile

I saw it twice and loved it! The music was original and beautiful. The voices are outstanding and the characters are strong and well played.
It's tugs at your heartstrings!