“Centrally located; quiet room.”

The Hotel at Times Square
Ranked #290 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 8, 2013

No complaints about the room. I liked the fact that they had a 2nd curtain I could have closed to block out the city noises. Ice machine was way down in the lobby. Elevators were sometimes crowded. Huge line for the one-seater bathroom in the basement (there wasn't one in the lobby). Lots of businesses nearby (cluster of Irish pubs down the street; McDonald's around the corner). The street nearby was full of smushed food and vegetables after the Saturday flea market. Stored luggage with the bellman on checkout day. Watch out for expensive taxis: walk down the street to get the cheaper yellow ones. No real negatives, so it all went pretty well.This was one of 4 hotels I stayed in during my visit to NYC. It was my 2nd favorite, and the most expensive. My 20-year-old daughter stayed with me, and we had relatives in a couple other rooms who had stayed there before and recommended it. They had trouble at check-in due to air conditioning being down throughout the hotel (in the middle of a heat wave). They were sent to another hotel (not nearby) upon arrival after midnight. Good otherwise.

Room Tip: I had requested a quiet room when I reserved it. It might be best to be away from the elevators and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,664)

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed her 4 days, wed thru sunday. The price and location are great. The bed was comfortable and gthe room expectadly small. The breakfast was typical continental with watered down juices and, stale pastries and cereal. They did include boiled eggs and yogurt which were nice. The apples were great for a mid morning snack.

The service at bellhop and concierge were terrible. The bellhop was poor enough I'd not tip him and the concierge was seldom there and not helpful. Tried scheduling a cab to the airport and she required a pre-pay for their contract services. We decided to leave 90 minutes earlier and she said they can't because the contract driver was at church. Would not reschedule with another driver or just refund the pre-pay and call a cab.

I would only stay here again if other options are not available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded August 8, 2013

Dear Keith J,
Thank you for your review. We continually train our employees to be as friendly and helpful as possible, and will continue to work with the bellmen on this. Like many hotels in New York City, concierge services are operated by a third party, but we are still sorry you had issues with them. We have asked them about this and they said they called the driver, but he was unable to make it any earlier than you had originally requested. It is extremely hard to find drivers last minute on a Sunday night. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.
We hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel was clean and well maintained. Breakfast was good with fresh bagels. Only negative was bathroom did not have exhaust fan or window. Good deal close to times square. Will stay there again. The hotel is a short walking distance to times square. Check in was efficient and fast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to NYC for the Champions Cup soccer tournament and didn't want to spend the majority of our budget on rooms. The Hotel @ Times Square offered excellent value (we shared a "family suite" with another couple) and great location. Transportation can be a bit weird in the city so we consulted the "concierge" about bus schedules and transportation to the Meadowlands...long story short, she gave us a lot of wrong information that could have really screwed us up if we hasn't decided to get a second opinion. Rooms felt super clean although there was a few mold spots above the shower. Good place for a quick weekend.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank kamonte
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Interesting experience with the young woman stationed at the concierge desk who was devoid of customer service skills and left an unpleasant impression about the hotel and the staff they recruit to represent them..... so much so that I wouldn't consider booking a room at this hotel. I had arrived at The Hotel with my family waiting for a walking tour to start. NYC was experiencing a heavy rain fall and I had approached the concierge desk with the intent of asking for directions to the nearest store that sold umbrellas.... I should have realized the warning signs as the young woman was servicing a couple in front of me and as they started walking away I noticed she had "rolled her eyes" as though their questions were taxing her precious time. When I asked my question, she offered to sell me the hotel umbrellas. Happy not to have to exit the hotel in the pouring rain, I bought two. As we waited for the walking tour to start, I ran an errand with my son that lasted no more than 20 minutes. Within this time, the clasps on the two umbrellas I had purchased had broken..... Needless to say the umbrellas were useless and I felt I was sold a defective product. I returned to the hotel, politely explained what had happened and requested my money back, certain that the umbrellas were defective (especially since both umbrellas broke in the same place). The same lady who sold me the umbrellas thought my request was unreasonable even though she acknowledged selling me the umbrella 20 minutes prior.... After many minutes trying to have her reconsider, she firmly refused. The fact that the umbrellas broke was "my problem".... the fact that both broke in the same place didn't seem to bother her either... Throughout the exchange, this young woman was rather abrasive and unconcerned about selling crappy products to the public... OK... she may have won the day, but what she lost was far greater.... I walked away with the conviction that I'd never consider booking a room at The Hotel at Times Square.... I would not want to support any establishment that was so obviously concerned screwing the public to make money than to serve them and make their experience a memorable (in good way) one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank CanTraveller2396
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear CanTraveller2396,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had an unpleasant experience with the concierge. Like many hotels in New York City, concierge services are operated by a third party. Nevertheless, we work closely with them and will speak with them about their behavior. Unfortunately, none of the concierge agents remember a broken umbrella being brought to their attention. But again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you faced at our hotel.
We hope you will give us another chance in the future. The majority of our guests enjoy their stay very much because of the excellent location and value they receive. Not all hotels in New York provide free breakfast, WIFI, and domestic phone calls.
Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel is only a block and a half from Times Square. I did a lot of research and concluded that this hotel had a reasonable rate and a great location. We were not disappointed. It was clean (a biggie for my wife) and had an adequate breakfast. It is within walking distance of everything midtown, including Central Park. And it's only three blocks from Budget car rental so we didn't even take a taxi to get our car. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who appreciates location, cleanliness, and economy in a hotel, especially in Midtown Manhattan.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor and heard no street noise.
3  Thank Jay S
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We booked this hotel in January for our July trip primarily because it had queen-sized beds (uncommon in New York) was reasonably priced, and was close to Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Although it isn't particularly fancy, it was just fine for our needs since we were there only to sleep. The hallway to our room wasn't the traditional straight corridor but rather very twisty. Our view was terrible: outside we saw the outsides of three buildings with two of them having windows with the same view of ours and the final wall being nearly totally black. My daughter was intrigued with the fire escape right outside our bathroom window and luckily didn't venture out there! The bed skirt on one of the beds had holes and was discolored and should have been replaced. Otherwise, the room was clean when we returned each night so we weren't disappointed. The breakfast is ample; it can get crowded but we were able to get a table each time without much of a wait. They have hard-boiled eggs, donuts, yogurt, cereal, toast, and bagels along with fruit choices...pretty good for a continental breakfast. The only thing that made us upset was that we had left our bags at the hotel after we checked out, and we came back to find that while they were being stored, someone had placed something on a print my daughter had bought and had left unpacked for carry-on purposes, tearing and folding it. All in all, I would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Lynne0725
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Lynne0725,
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the view from your room. In Manhattan, many hotel rooms have similar views. We always try to honor requests for certain rooms, so you can always try to request a room with a better view for a future stay. We apologize for the worn bed skirt and will definitely replace it. We also sincerely apologize for the accidental damage done to the print you left with your luggage.
We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to New York City!