“great location and room size”

The Hotel at Times Square
Ranked #285 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

this is one of the nicest rooms for a budget hotel in Manhattan. very clean quiet room, and friendly staff. I will definitely stay here again. We had a two room one bath suite that was perfect for the family.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank rjb1122
There are newer reviews for The Hotel at Times Square

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked our room a couple of months in advance and received a confirmation email from the hotel a few days before leaving for NYC. We did call to confirm from our end and to let them know we would not be arriving till midnight....no problem their end. Actually our Air Canada flight was late (thats another story) we did not arrive in La Guardia till midnight...thinking we could walk out and get a taxi....joke....we lined up for over an hour for a taxi. Finally it was our turn, even the taxi driver was amazed at the lineup...he had never seen it this bad in all of his years as cab driver....and by the time we left it was double the length of line we had waited in. We finally arrived at the hotel at close to 2.00am, we had a friendly greeting, speedy registration and were on our way to the room in minutes. Contrary to some of the reviews on here, the hotel corridors were light, bright and clean except for a bit of dust around the edge of the carpet where the vacuum cleaner doesn't reach.Our room was quite spacious, clean, well lit with a large window for natural light. The bed was most comfortable. There was a good size closet with suitcase stand and a safe. The large bathroom was clean, with wall dispenser's of hand soap and shampoo. A small but adequate hairdryer. Showering did steam up the mirror a bit but with the door open for a few mins the a/c cleared it quickly. Each of the staff we met was, pleasant and helpful, from the breakfast room staff to the front desk and the man who took care of our luggage during our last day and before our trip to the airport. The breakfast...though not what I would eat on a regular basis was adequate for a few days...cereal, donuts,bagels, croissants,eggs, yogurt,fruit, cream cheese,jellies, jams, juices and coffee. The breakfast room was constantly cleaned and empty food trays refilled...it was busy but we never had to wait more than a minute or two for a table. It has been mentioned in some reviews that the elevators are slow...we never had to wait more than 3-4 minutes and that was at breakfast time, the rest of the time, a min or two at most. The hotel is in an excellent location, close to shops, restaurants and a pharmacy just around the corner that sells food, soft drinks, toiletries etc. It is easy to hail taxi's from either end of the road on 5th or 6th Ave. The one suggestion I do have for the hotel is that they have an extra public bathroom in the lobby area for checked out clients waiting for their airport runs, there were at least ten people waiting in line. We had a lovely long weekend and wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iamtullahlula
Reviewed July 3, 2013

•Hi I was there from June 26 to July 1. The hotel is in a perfect location. 3 blocks from time square. One block from five Avenue. It is not a fancy hotel but very clean. The room (307) was big and the bed very comfortable. The breakfast is perfect for start the day. Around there are a lot of restaurants with different foods, Brazilian, Italian, Thai, Japanese, etc. We really enjoy our stay. We recommended this hotel 100%.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ximenahappytraveller
Reviewed June 29, 2013

When I first booked this hotel back in February, it was getting 5-star reviews and the I can see the rating has gone down somewhat. First off- I booked through Booking.com, which I've used before for international travel. May hesitate in using a "middle-source" again, because of what happened on our first day this trip.

The hotel wasn't hard to find, thanks to my smart-phone. The lobby was smaller than I'd imagined but attractive, and obviously a great place to meet with friends/family and plan for a vacation day. We arrived around 4:15pm, so we weren't overly late for check-in. As mentioned before, I'd had reservations since February of this year.

The man behind the desk welcomed us casually and then assigned us our room. We were two ladies traveling together and needed a double. We were told to use the "back elevator", clear down a hallway to the rear of the hotel lobby, past the concierge desk. Everyone else appeared to be using the elevator closest to the front desk. I think that was my first red-flag. Getting off the elevator, I found the hallway to be very smoky. We went through double fire doors and when entering the room, were greeted by a dense, smokiness that was truly horrible. It was obvious we'd been assigned a smoking room.

Immediately, I phoned downstairs. The front desk clerk was not impolite, but stated that they were booked solid, that we had booked a smoking room, and he wouldn't be able to change it until the next day. I told him I had NOT booked a smoking room, and again he reassured me we'd be switched the next day, that they'd take care of it, etc. It left us with little choice. So.... I guess this is what can happen if you book through an agency instead of straight through the hotel. I have a feeling my "non-smoking" request fell through the cracks.

Back to the room: the only redeeming part of it was the beds. They were immaculate and VERY comfy. The bathroom smelled of mold... very strongly and was so small we could barely turn about inside. There was absolutely no space around the sink to place items while traveling. In front of the beds was a large damp area. We couldn't figure out why the carpet was wet right there, but we sure didn't want to go barefoot! There were no suitcase stands, nowhere to set a suitcase... I wound up using the back of the closet, while my friend used the desk.

Due to my call of complaint, a kind man came up and sprayed our room with air-freshener which lasted all of two minutes in the smoke. He opened our window, and we left it open to help air out the room, which did help some. We think that the whole "back side" of the hotel is the smoking wing. There was zero view from our room. Looking out the window was a dismal view between buildings over which appeared to be an archaeological dig! (Only there weren't any shovels, trowels, or archaeologists present!)

While we enjoyed the Met. Museum of Art that day, we'd packed our bags, and the hotel had them moved to a new room. This time, we returned to LOVELY accommodations! We took the FRONT elevator up to the new room. The air was clean, pleasant, and the room fantastic! It was larger to start with, especially the bathroom. There still wasn't much space around the sink to set items, but it was MUCH nicer and didn't smell moldy. AND... there were not one, but TWO luggage racks folded neatly in the closet. And we even had a view over the front entrance which was nice. So for the next three nights, we had VERY NICE accommodations.

Breakfast was included and lovely each morning. NYC is VERY expensive when it comes to dining, so having breakfast included really is a plus. It is "continental", meaning hot beverages, but no hot food. Don't expect the little self-made waffles or anything. But the pastries are probably from a local bakery... EXCELLENT! Especially the BAGELS! They're fresh daily. Also, the orange juice was especially fresh and tasty. I do agree with another reviewer. The hotel was experiencing its busy-season, and though we managed seating each morning, there weren't many choices. However, I must compliment the breakfast staff. They diligently cleaned up tables, replenished the baked-goods, and kept a logical order of things in all the breakfast chaos with so many people. Kudos to them!!!

On our last night, we dressed up to go out, as we were going to see CHICAGO. One of the two elevators was out of order, and we wound up going up/down five flights of stairs. This was a Sunday night, so I imagine there was no available service for elevators on Sundays. We were just thankful it didn't occur with BOTH elevators! The hotel's in an older building, so I assume this can happen frequently, especially with the hotel maxed at its full capacity.

Staff was friendly enough, and they certainly did give us a lovely room at no extra cost, once they were able to move us. I will never quite understand why we were given a smoking room to begin with. I know the mistake wasn't on my end. However, I appreciate them fixing the problem once they could. :)

One other disappointment was the concierge service. Really, all this girl did was hand out pamphlets of restaurants, shows, and discounts. I asked her about assisting with acquisition of musical tickets. She referred me correctly to TKTS, but didn't know anything about their hours or times of operation. She also informed me (incorrectly) that I'd be able to purchase tickets there for a next day, which is NOT the case! I spent nearly a full hour in line before the TKTS opened and an employee informed me I needed to return for next day tickets!

NOTE TO HOTEL: If you wish to operate concierge service in your lobby, at the VERY least, see that the person running it KNOWS what hours common things open/close/operate. TKTS is a NYC ticket source that even the newest of tourists learns about! The concierge should certainly know more about it than she did! I actually received better advice about restaurants from front-desk staff than the Concierge!

Was I pleased overall? For $145 pp, I felt safe and the beds were great. That's an unbelievable savings in NYC! The staff was kind and did move us to a much better NON-SMOKING room. That was good! The breakfast saved us oodles of cash and was definitely a hit. Every guest went!

Would I stay there again? Not sure. I wouldn't want a repeat of that first night. Also, I have noted that reviews for the property have really gone down since February. Not certain what's going on there. I will eventually return to NYC. When I do, I'll certainly check this hotel in all fairness. The location is fabulous. However, reviews will definitely need to improve before I return. :)

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a NON SMOKING room! Also, when they assign your room, be sure you use the elevat...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank hyker1
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Just celebrated 25th wedding anniversary in NYC and spent 4 days. Room was nice, but there was a terrible smell in the hallways like the carpet was wet and wasn't drying out. As the week went on, the smell got better, but seemed to be because it was covered up by a freshener rather than actually fixing the problem. Breakfast was included, but nothing great. Some staff friendly, some not. Concierage was the least friendly, nor was she very helpful. It seemed to be an inconvenience that we were asking questions about tours. She only handed us flyers which we could have picked up ourselves.
Within walking distance to many attractions, so it is conveniently located.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank jcyr0625
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel between the 12th and 16th of June 2013. The hotel is clean, comfortable and within easy walking distance of both the subway and all the attractions of Manhattan. (About 5 minutes walk to Times Square). The buffet style breakfast was excellent with a wide selection of cereals, bread, fruit and drinks available. I would highly recommend this hotel as most hotels in the same area charge about double the price but would be hard pushed to meet the standard of service we received here. The free WI-fi is available throughout the hotel and works perfectly, this was appreciated by us as it let us upload our photos of a wonderful city each night so our family back home could share in our experiance.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michael W
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We had a two-room suite with a king-sized bed and a queen-sized bed. This worked out wonderfully for the four of us. The only negatives I had during this stay is that the bath tub stopper wouldn't stay in so we could only take showers, and there was no ventilation in the bathroom so it would get unbearably hot and steamy after showering. Also, the bathroom door is made of frosted glass which is still see-through. I knew this because of my previous stay, so I taped wrapping paper to the outside of the door to ensure everyone's privacy. All in all, for a decent price (for New York), you get a clean, comfortable place to crash that is in a fantastic location, being only a block and a half from the center of Times Square, three blocks from Rockefeller Center, a half block from Fifth Avenue, and just a few blocks in either direction from the Empire State Building or Central Park. There is even a tiny bar on the second floor of the hotel for unwinding in the evenings, if you wanted to do so. All of this plus you get discounted parking, which can save you around $20 a day.

Room Tip: If you have four adults sharing a room, the two-room suite is definitely the way to go as this gives...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family