We were pleasantly surprised with The Hotel at Times Square. I had researched our choice of hotel thoroughly, so I was quietly confident that it would be fine, but it is a little scary booking something from the other side of the world when you read some quite scathing reviews! My advice to you?....don't stress over the negative reviews! Just realise that there are some people in life who are probably never happy and who obviously set unrealistic expectations for staying in a budget-friendly hotel!
My family (2 parents, 2 teenagers - 16 and 17) stayed in a family suite on the 9th floor which included 2 bedrooms, giving us each our own space. Each room had a flat screen TV and the beds were extremely comfortable. We were a little worried that the outside noise would make it hard to sleep, but we didn't hear a thing, it was so quiet! Considering we are only a block and a half away from Times Square, this was amazing!
I felt the elevators were totally fine, not really slow as several people have mentioned on here previously.
Yes, the bathroom mirror did get foggy, as there are no exhaust fans, but I think this is typical of an older, multiple-storey building. A slight inconvenience, easily fixed by using one of the mirrors in either of the bedrooms.
The front desk staff were efficient. Some more chatty than others (Sonny was our favourite!), but all totally fine. On the first night, we noticed that our wi-Fi was working in the lobby but not in our room. We spoke to the reception staff about it and they got someone out to look at it and it was fixed by the morning, problem solved! Also, a few days into our stay, we mentioned that the hair dryer wasn't working - this hadn't bothered us as we had brought our own, but we wanted to let them know for the next guests - and that the toilet flusher sometimes got a little stuck, making a bit of a noise. Both these concerns were fixed by the time we got back from our shopping! If you have a problem, please just talk to the staff. Give them a chance to fix it before you have a whinge about it!
The breakfast was totally adequate and all you need to get you started before you hit the busy streets of New York. My only tip here: get there early, as it gets pretty hard to find a table if you get there towards the end. Maybe a suggestion for the hotel could be, in the busiest times of full capacity, open the breakfast room for half an hour longer?? This would give more people a chance to get a seat, and would also be helpful for travellers like us who took advantage of shops being open post-midnight, so needed that bit of extra sleep in the morning!
Overall, we could not be happier with our stay at The Hotel at Times Square. We have stayed at a more expensive hotel previously and could not ever justify going back there, now that we know how good value for money this hotel is.
At the end of the day, you are in one of the most amazing cities in the world - this is New York! Have realistic expectations and enjoy your stay here; you will not be disappointed :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly renovated The Hotel at Times Square, a boutique hotel, offers clean and elegant accomodations with free wireless Internet access, flat screen TVs, a fitness center, a 24-hour business center, complimentary continental breakfast, free calls within the US and a lot more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Agoda, HotelsforEveryone and HotelsClick so you can book your The Hotel at Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel At Times Square
- At Times Square Hotel
- Super 8 New York City
- Super 8 Times Square
- Super 8 Hotel Times Square
- Super Eight New York City
- Super 8 Hotel New York