If you want to be close to major tourist attractions and do it within a reasonable budget, then The Hotel is the place for you. We stayed 12 nights and found it a little quirky in some ways, but it seems to work.
We thoroughly enjoyed our time in NYC. I find that often the hotel you stay at can have a huge impact on how well a trip goes, so The Hotel definitely did its job to a good standard.
This hotel will be my first choice when returning to NYC next time.
Breakfast included - great timesaver - don't expect a Hilton style hot breakfast, but there is enough variety and quality to get you going for the day. Very good value given the room rate.
Location - 2 blocks from Times Square, 1 block from 5th Avenue shopping, numerous Metro stations within a 2 block radius, perfect walking distance to a lot of attractions, $5-7 cab fare from most places, loads of great restaurants close by.
Cleanliness - rooms quite clean. Some wear & tear (e.g. bathroom tile grout), and some details overlooked (e.g. dusty lampshades) but overall quite clean, especially compared to the last NYC hotel I stayed at (avoid the Wellington at all costs!).
Comfort - bed was really comfortable, slept great every night. Room & bathroom were on the small side, however not unworkable. I'm pretty sure the problem was more to do with my excessive shopping! There is a large chest of drawers, tiny wardrobe and a desk.
Lobby - had a cute lounge area that was comfy and warm. Free coffee/tea/hot chocolate machine in lobby area which was awesome when coming in from the cold weather!
Construction - I was at the back section of the hotel, and there is very, very noisy construction work going on next door. Our charming view was of the construction site! This isn't an issue if you are doing what you should be doing - getting up early and seeing the sights - but I was sick for a couple days and it was impossible to try and get some rest in the morning/during the day.
Cleaning - the cleaning lady was lovely, however there was a couple of times that the 'do not disturb' sign was on the door and she tried coming in anyway...lock the door. Also, I was really irritated by her tidying up & throwing out a couple of shoe boxes - I had wanted to keep them so my boots stayed in shape nicely on the trip back.
Billing - there was some confusion in paying our bill. We had very specifically asked about paying separately on 2 x different credit cards and were told it wasn't an issue. When it came time to do this, it became a major issue, that wasted about 3 hours for me trying to sort out (long story). The guy was very apologetic in the end though, so I got over it.
Ventilation - You aren't allowed to open the windows, which is an issue if you are in a smoking room (still airing my suitcase!). The heater was really hot or too cool...a little annoying.
All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel for it's value, location and friendly staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly renovated The Hotel at Times Square, a boutique hotel, offers clean and elegant accomodations with free wireless Internet access, flat screen TVs, a fitness center, a 24-hour business center, complimentary continental breakfast, free calls within the US and a lot more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HRS so you can book your The Hotel at Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel At Times Square
- At Times Square Hotel
- Super 8 New York City
- Super 8 Times Square
- Super 8 Hotel Times Square
- Super Eight New York City
- Super 8 Hotel New York