“Will never return. Corporate refuses to return my phone calls.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel at Times Square

The Hotel at Times Square
Ranked #287 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Iowa
“Will never return. Corporate refuses to return my phone calls.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

I recently stayed in this hotel while in New York City with a group. The room was a nice size but we immediately found small black bugs in the bathroom. When notifying the front desk two gentlemen came up to inspect and said they were flies. When I told them they were not flies he tried to pass them off as fruit flies. These two men did nothing at all to solve the situation. The next day I reported the same problem to the desk clerk and the property manager and they said they would check it out. They too saw the bugs and said they would have housekeeping spray the bathroom. The smell of the bug spray lingered in the room all week as there are no exhaust fans in the bathroom plus the spray didn't do anything to the bugs. We continued to complain and were told they would adjust our room rate. When I went to check out I was told that the 5% rate reduction for AARP would not apply to me as I was not over 65. When I asked about the discount upon making the reservations, I was never told I had to be over 65. The woman checking me out was also there when the manager said she would reduce the rate but since the manager was off she would do nothing. I had to call the hotel on Monday despite leaving a message for the manager to call me only to find out we were to be given $30.00 off one night but a bug problem that we had to put up with all week. I explained that I took pictures of the bugs on the last night and would send the pictures to her. I also told her that not only were there bugs, when I moved the trash can there was dirt and hairs all over the floor as well. I said I didn't think the $30.00 was enough and told her about the 5% AARP rate. The manager said she would talk to her supervisor and call me back. Each time I had to call the manager but I was always the next person she was going to call. Bottom line is they gave the 5% and only $30.00. I have been trying to call the corporate office since last week and no one will call me back. I even left a message for Liz in Customer Service and she has not returned my call. I can't believe a corporation such as Apple Core would rather have the poor publicity than do what was promised to me. The manager said she also talked to housekeeping about the dirty bathroom as well. I was told that if I ever came back they would upgrade my room IF there was something available. No thanks to the upgrade ... more customer service would be much better.

Room Tip: My tip to getting the best room is to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank fisch48
applecorehotelsstaff, Operations Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear fisch48,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for your experience. Our policy for AARP discounts is a 5% discount for those over 65 with an AARP membership. Unfortunately we cannot give a bigger discount than this. We would also like to apologize for the bugs in your room. Our housekeepers work very hard to keep all rooms clean and bug free. In fact, most guests find our hotel in general to be extremely clean and well kept.
If you have anything else you would like to discuss please call the General Manager of the property at 212.719.2300.
Most guests find our hotel very clean, convenient, and comfortable. We hope you will give us another chance to serve you more satisfactorily.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southern VT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Our room was booked through a third party site and this lead to some confusion. Though our booking said two queen beds, there were no rooms w/ two beds available so we shared a king bed (2 friends). Because we did not read the fine print, we did not notice that it stated that tax was not included. I believe both of these were not the hotel's fault though. Best advice: always call the hotel and try to book directly with them for the same rate you can find in a third party site.

The location is great, the lobby is fine with two computers for guests' usage. Tiny bar on second floor is cute. The room was small, as was the bathroom but it was clean and comfortable. Breakfast (included) was minimal, but had all the basics I want (fresh fruit, yogurt, decent coffee, cereal).

When I go to NYC I expect a tiny room, and am mostly focused on cleanliness and location. This hotel came through with flying colors on both conditions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

This hotel provides a good value for midtown manhattan. It's just a few blocks from Rockefeller Center and Times Square, close to a Metro station, a few blocks from Bryant Square Park and the Theatre District.

The check in was quick and easy, the hotel staff was helpful and kind. We had a room on the 11th floor, while the lift was a bit slow, the lack of street noise was a plus.

Free breakfast consisted of apples, bananas, yogurt, oatmeal packets, bagels, toast, donuts and 3 kinds of cereal. Nothing special, but it was healthy and it was one less meal to buy!

My only complaint was with the free wifi. It worked about 30% of the time. There are two computers in the lobby, but mostly they were occupied by teenagers playing online games. I'd like to see the hotel add a few more wireless hubs to keep users connected.

However, we'll be back on our next trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenslish
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and will continue to do so.The feont desk was warm and friendly. Nary at front desk le nt me her own personnal phone charger. Its doesnt seem like a big deal but to me it was. And I apprwciated it very much. This hotel is worth checking out.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Mark c
Bettendorf, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one week in June 2011. I took a group of students to NYC so we booked a total of 8 rooms. I really liked the location of the hotel, it was close to Times Square and the Theatre District. I think the rooms were decent sized and the room I stayed in was clean. The stay here was not without problems. When we checked in, three of our rooms had refrigerators in them (at our request). I asked about paying for the refrigerators and was told that we would pay at the end of the week (we checked in on Sunday evening). On Tuesday, we returned to our rooms to find we had been locked out of all three rooms with refrigerators. No one attempted to contact us, they just locked us out of the rooms. We all had to go to the lobby and wait in line for a front desk employee, who was not pleasant (it was a male employee, not sure of his name). As a result of having to wait to clear this up, part of the group was late to a Mets baseball game and the others were late to a Broadway show. This was frustrating since not only did I inquire about the refrigerator payment at check in, the other advisor asked about them on Monday since hers was not working properly. I did file a complaint with the manager and she responded very quickly and offered us an upgrade during our next stay. We continued to have issues throughout the week with members of our group being locked out of their rooms because of the key cards not working. In addition, one member of the group on the 8th floor had an issue with bugs in the bathtub. The night staff was once again rude and not helpful. She called again in the morning and reached the manager who dealt with the problem right away. They did send a company in to spray the room for bugs, however, this left an unpleasant smell in the room for the remainder of her stay. Most of the problems were with the adult chaperone rooms, so at least our students had an enjoyable stay. My only other complaint is that there is a lot of construction in the area and a movie crew down the street which caused a lot of noise at night while trying to sleep (we were on the 2nd floor).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank sms4080
applecorehotelsstaff, Operations Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear sms4080,
Thank you for your review. We hope you and your students enjoyed their time in New York City. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the problems you faced while staying with us. Sometimes if key cards are tampered with or get scratched, they may not work. We are also very surprised to hear about insects in the bath area but are glad they were taken care of promptly. Our staff works very hard to ensure that all guests have a comfortable, clean stay. We would also like to apologize for the noise caused by construction and movie filming. As you know, this is not our construction or movie, and we have no control over when they decide to do work.
The overwhelming majority of our guests are very happy with their stay and many return multiple times for our convenience, cleanliness, and great value. We do wish you would reconsider us for your next trip to New York City.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Hotel@ Times Square was very convenient to every thing i planned to do and see while in New York. The help were friendly and helpful. The rooms were kept clean. I will be staying here on future visits to New York City.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank RMS4366
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

We loved the convenient location to start with, and were able to walk to Times Square , 6th Ave,.5th, 7th Ave etc everyday. The room too was beautifully appointed and looked newly done and was very clean, quite spacious too, excellent bathroom. The breakfast was an added convenience, and made a quick start to the day. Free internet. Friendly staff at check in.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank globe2312
applecorehotelsstaff, Operations Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Dear globe2312,
Thank you for your kind review. Our location is one of the many reasons people choose to stay with us. We are within walking distance of the Theater District, Times Square, and 5th Avenue shopping. We are delighted that you found our rooms to be both visually appealing and spacious. We are glad you could enjoy some of our free amenities like our continental breakfast and Wi-Fi.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on your next visit.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels