“Wonderful Location but the cab service is not so good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Morningside Inn

Morningside Inn
Ranked #431 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Wonderful Location but the cab service is not so good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

I've Stayed here on December of 2012 for 4 days with my mother and my sisters. We chosen a private room with private bathroom. The location is excelent! Near a Absolute Bagels, where you can eat a Bagel with butter and a hot chocolate for less than 3 dollars, which helped us a lot for our breakfast. The subway station, central park, St. Patrick the Divine and lots of nice restaurants are near, so it's a very good place to be and not very expensive, if compared with other locations in Manhattan. But on the check-out the staff had arranged us a cab to La Guardia, and the cab was terrible! Totally dirty and the driver VERY antipathic. But, I would recommend this place to anyone that want's to visit New York with a low budget!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Felipe357

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I've been coming to Morningside for many years. The value is absolutely incredible for the location. The hotel is located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, which is a very quite, family-friendly area of the city. The hotel is just blocks for the 1 train, so you basically have New York at your finger tips within a matter of minutes.The hotel itself is very clean and the hotel staff is EXCELLENT. One of the best parts about Morningside is that each floor is equipped with a full kitchen, so if you are on a budget, this is a great way to cut the cost of your trip. As I mentioned before, the staff at Morningside is the best - from the front desk to the housekeepers. I've found the staff here to be extremely polite and helpful, which makes the stay even better! I would definitely recommend staying here and am looking forward to my next visit and many more to come!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RK1986
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here, from sept 8th to sept 19th 2013.
Room was wery clean, with towels changed every day. Water was ok. Showerhead was attached to wall, and not removable. (But thats unfortunately normal in all of the US).
TV and refrigerator was OK. Though we barely tried the TV, as we were there to see the city!

Surroundings and nieghbourhood, was good. Pharmacies, shops, restaurants and bus stops, just around the corner. And just a few blocks to the subway.

WIFI was just OK. Really a week signal. But several networks can be browsed, to choose the one which is best at the moment.
There, was no chair or any table at the room. (But then, we did not ask for it either!)
Wery good and large bed, with a good matress, to sleep in. Our room was also surprisingly quiet, with little or no noise from the outside!

As we experienced, the staff was really pleasant, friendly and helpful when approached.

Yes. There were rats outside the hotel. But thats not the hotels fault, as the whole neighbourhood just places their garbage bags on the outside, a long time before the collectors come to pick it up!

If we go to New York again, we would absolutely consider another stay here!

Room Tip: Doublecheck that you have chosen a room with private bath, if you want such!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ohegge
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

3rd time for me in Nyc and stayed here for the holiday period.

I was really concerned regarding some of the reviews but honestly, taking everything into account It was excellent value.

I've rated it 4 based on the value for money. The hotel is clean and I got clean towels bed linen and anything I wanted whenever I asked. All staff at the hotel are friendly, the neighbourhood seems safe, there are lots of bars, places to grab food and other shops nearby and it is a 2-3 minute walk to red tube line and 5-10 to the orange and blue, both go straight into middle of manhattan in no more than 15 minutes.

I highly recommend 'the Ellington' for food and drinks nearby next to the Amsterdam tavern which is also good

Tv in room, en suite we paid for which was good and a fridge in room.

We are both easy going but if u r fussy then the thin walls and loud heating (in our room) may annoy u.

Staff happy to let us store bags after check out

I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I travel for my work, am on the road a quarter of the year, and have been doing that for the past fifteen+ years. One of my favorite hotels is the Morningside Inn. What makes it so great is 1) the location – in Manhattan, convenient to everything, yet tucked away on the quiet Upper West Side, 2) the prices – you just can’t beat their very modest rates compared with other places, 3) the accommodations – quiet, clean, comfortable, and well kept, and 4) the management & staff – especially the manager, and the meticulous housekeepers. The place is just the best. I’m there 3-4 times a year, and never ceased to be both amazed and satisfied with the quality and moderate cost of the place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed here from 18/11/13-25/11/13. I had a comfortable bed. Had a tv and it was what it said on the website. When I asked for my room to be cleaned it was. I had a room with shared bathroom I was lucky as the other people who used the bathroom were clean. I did get woken up a couple of times from people banging their doors and I spoke with them and it stopped. When I wanted something from front desk I got it. I could have guessed back as I had friends staying at another hotel who came to visit me and had no hassle getting them into the hotel. For a hotel on a budget it is well worth a stay.

Their is a KFC & Macdonalds near the hotel and other local delis. There is a Starbucks right by the tube stop which was very useful !

I used 110th cathedral parkway on line 1 to get into town took 15mins. Brought a weekly subway ticket which cost $32 I think.

I really enjoyed my time in NYC and staying at the Morningside Inn but next time I'll get a room with an en-suite just personnel preference.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for an en-suite room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Gareth J
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Went 12/15 to NYC with Hubby no kids. Location is absolutely great across from Central Park. Easy train/bus ride from La Guardia. M60 bus to Astoria stop , then get on the Train. N,Q, R train get u near , then Walk to 107street. Or taxi($8.00). We did it with our rollaway luggage no big deal. Building has small entry way, front desk, elevator and stairway. Decorated nice real big Xmas tree. Room was standard full bed, 1 small window with small in room sink, little fridge and a closet. See pics. Bathroom is a shared bathroom in hallway. Old nasty tub/shower with old toilet. (Or pay ridiculous fee for private bathroom) Make sure you have ur own TP, I observed several times when there was no TP in the bathroom at night time . Some what quiet (no complains except we could hear the couple next door bed romping) during the midnight hours pretty quiet range up until 5-6Am you hear metal doors slamming. We were gone all day till 11pm or so, we were off to time square or Rockefeller plaza(just beautiful) bottom line; no place for children. Room was clean, small space, excellent location in Manhattan. Rest- Dinners and great food near by, bring rubber flip flops to shower with so you don't step into nasty tub. $100 bucks a night; can't beat that in high season. Great to just crash. Courteous staff. Excellent location in Manhattan(good safe area)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple