“Not flashy but does the job”
Review of Morningside Inn

Morningside Inn
Ranked #444 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed here from 18/11/13-25/11/13. I had a comfortable bed. Had a tv and it was what it said on the website. When I asked for my room to be cleaned it was. I had a room with shared bathroom I was lucky as the other people who used the bathroom were clean. I did get woken up a couple of times from people banging their doors and I spoke with them and it stopped. When I wanted something from front desk I got it. I could have guessed back as I had friends staying at another hotel who came to visit me and had no hassle getting them into the hotel. For a hotel on a budget it is well worth a stay.

Their is a KFC & Macdonalds near the hotel and other local delis. There is a Starbucks right by the tube stop which was very useful !

I used 110th cathedral parkway on line 1 to get into town took 15mins. Brought a weekly subway ticket which cost $32 I think.

I really enjoyed my time in NYC and staying at the Morningside Inn but next time I'll get a room with an en-suite just personnel preference.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for an en-suite room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Gareth J

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Went 12/15 to NYC with Hubby no kids. Location is absolutely great across from Central Park. Easy train/bus ride from La Guardia. M60 bus to Astoria stop , then get on the Train. N,Q, R train get u near , then Walk to 107street. Or taxi($8.00). We did it with our rollaway luggage no big deal. Building has small entry way, front desk, elevator and stairway. Decorated nice real big Xmas tree. Room was standard full bed, 1 small window with small in room sink, little fridge and a closet. See pics. Bathroom is a shared bathroom in hallway. Old nasty tub/shower with old toilet. (Or pay ridiculous fee for private bathroom) Make sure you have ur own TP, I observed several times when there was no TP in the bathroom at night time . Some what quiet (no complains except we could hear the couple next door bed romping) during the midnight hours pretty quiet range up until 5-6Am you hear metal doors slamming. We were gone all day till 11pm or so, we were off to time square or Rockefeller plaza(just beautiful) bottom line; no place for children. Room was clean, small space, excellent location in Manhattan. Rest- Dinners and great food near by, bring rubber flip flops to shower with so you don't step into nasty tub. $100 bucks a night; can't beat that in high season. Great to just crash. Courteous staff. Excellent location in Manhattan(good safe area)

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura S
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We arrived for a 2 might stay on 12/6/13. As we walked in, we observed an angry guest throwing his keys at the desk clerk and yelling at him because there was no hot water. We asked about that. The man at the desk identified himself as Patrick, the manager, and told us that the hot water was being fixed "as we speak". So, we decided to check in anyway after looking at the room, which was small but clean and adequate for our needs. Patrick told us he was going to give us a discount because "we seemed like nice ladies" So, he took 10% or $30 off the rate and we checked in.
We went out for the day, came back in the evening and there was still no hot water. We asked the desk clerk about it and she said they had called someone and they were gonna come and fix it. Hmmm... Patrick had said they were already there. What was THAT all about?
In the morning, there was STILL no hot water! We were getting concerned because we had a black-tie event to attend that evening and really wanted to shower first!!
We went downstairs and Patrick was at the desk. We told him that we were concerned because there was still no hot water. He abruptly said it was fixed. My friend, who used to own a hotel, told him that she felt that an additional adustment should be made on the rate for last night due to the lack of hot water. He started screaming at us and saying that he had already given us a discount and what did we want him to lose his job? He was very insistent that the water was fixed. But, we had just left the room and the water was cold when we left, so I decided to go back upstairs and check the water again and if it was hot then, we would have just let the whole thing go. Well, it was still stone cold. I went back downstairs only to discover that Patrick had kicked my friend out of the building, called the police and told me to leave as well. He said he felt threatened and in danger of bodily harm by us and we needed to get out. I was flabbergasted. Here is this big burly guy threatened by 2 middle-aged women???
So we waited outside to see if the police were really coming. And they did! They went inside and he told them that there had been a disturbance but the problem people had left. We found this out when the police came out and we asked them. We then told them we were "the problem". They looked at each other and chuckled. We told them the whole story. I was afraid that he would throw our belongings out in the street but the police assured us that it was safe to leave our things in the room, that the hotel staff would not touch them and we had a right to stay in the room because we had paid for it. They further went on to say that we had a right to have hot water and if our belongings were disturbed, we were to call 911 and they would help us.
If we did not already have a full day planned, we had not already paid $300 non-refundable for the room and if there had been a vacancy in the City at Christmas-time, we would have gone elsewhere. But the police were very reassuring, so we took the chance and left for the day.
We returned around 5pm. Our belongings were still in the room and untouched and, lo and behold, there was hot water!!! However, it was scalding hot water, very difficult to regulate but after about 15 minutes of playing with it, I got it to the point that I could shower and not get second degree burns in the process!
The rest of the stay was fine and I would have stayed there again in the future had Patrick not gone off like a rocket on us!! His anger was misplaced. If indeed, he did have plumbers working on the problem for all that time, he should have been yelling at them, not us!! At least we didn't throw our keys at him like the other guest did!! We calmly approached him and he flew off the handle!! Perhaps anger management class or a different line of work is in order for Patrick.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Judie N
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Upon the arrival of this guest I was kind enough to give them a discount, they complained about the room being cold and I adjusted the heat for them to their liking. They was not satisfied with anything they we was trying to do for them finally they came back down complaining that we did not have any hot water we tested the faucet and yes we did have hot water. They became very angry and called me an incompetent fool, I did not understand why they became so aggressive and disrespectful, she was becoming loud so I had no choice but to call the police they have them remove from the property, even offered a full refund and my assistance to help find them a hotel to their liking. After the police came by we talked and we came to a solution I gave them an additional discount plus let them stay here for the night and even after all that I done they still wrote an un true statement about me and my establishment, that I is what some people like these ladies do they get their way and this is so sad

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Our stay was quite OK here, no mouses in the room, and we got clean towels to the room everyday. We used the room to sleep, and agree with others that its nice that the subway is close. We got what we paid for and generally are happy about it.

However I have to be disappointed to the fact that I never got my keys back that I left to the room. A man told me over the phone that they were found, but didn't know how to arrange the delivery. I contacted the hotel manager as he suggested, and he seemed like he's going to take care of it, just asked me to email my address to him. They probably aren't anymore in the lost and found but in trash, and despite my call and two emails, I never got any response to them. Even a fact that it for some reason would not be possible to post them would've been fine, but nothing.

Although its kinda my own fault to leave personal belongings behind, some kind of gesture towards the issue would've been helpful. So don't leave anything to the room, won't get it back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jad128
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My previous review was removed because it was too accurate on the disgusting place Morningside Inn is!

The website is completely wrong as to wait they offer. I stayed in a "Budget Single" room. There was NO 32" Flat-Screen TV, NO Desk, NO Chair, No AM/FM Radio.

.And NO HEAT for 2-3 days! I stayed at the end of October 2013 and I needed heat!

They provided me 2 towels a day, DAMP towels, not dry towels. When I asked them to bring me some dry towels, the towels they brought were also DAMP. The woman just said, 'sorry' and something about the machines that they have to use downstairs.

Disgusting shared bathrooms. On my floor was 19 rooms, there were 2 shared bathrooms. One bathroom had a toilet that was clogged with "you-no-what" and the shower would not work. When I complained, they just LOCKED the door. The other bathroom was okay, but when I went to use it, there was water on the floor from the previous person using the bathroom. There was no floor mat or anything on the floor. Thus, I had to put one of my towels down to keep my feet wet. There was no place to hang my clothes and towels. The only 'hook' was on the back of the door which was broken off. Thus, the only place for me to place my clothes and towels was on the toilet seat.

...I could go on and on about this place.

The ONLY GOOD thing about this place? It is about 3 blocks from the Subway.

However, I will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER stay in this hotel again.

J.

Room Tip: Don't book a room at this hotel....that's my tip! What you 'see' on the website...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jay T
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

sorry to hear that your stay was not to your expectations we was in the middle of renovating some of our shared bathrooms. And we was fully booked at the time of your stay.so the traffic use of the bathrooms that was in order was a little overwhelming. we did try to upgrade you but you was not in acceptable to our request so again we do apologize

Reviewed November 7, 2013

My stay was a welcomed one, staff very friendly, my room was very clean and you could smell the clean linen scent...nice!! Location right where i needed it! Every morning at 7:30 i would step out side the front door and straight out and breath the morning air...wow...so clear, then i began my walk after visiting the grocery store right around the corner, so handy!! About half way down the street broadway ave there are banks, star bucks, mcDonalds, Rita Aide Pharmacy, Just one block is the Subway Station and Bus stops, I was just loving it!! I was here from 11/1-07/2013

Room Tip: Bathroom could use a little extra cleaning..twice a day!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TroyH65
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Look... this place is not the Plaza! But if what you want is to see New York and not have to carry your suitcases with you every day then the Morningside Inn is absolutely perfect.
Did someone open the front door for me... no
Did someone press the lift buttons for me... no
But, did my room contain a bed, sink, toilet and a shower... yes! On top of that, as simple as it is, we had a TV and a mini-fridge. That may sound like an obvious inclusion but realistically, based on the previous reviews, we weren't expecting much!

The hotel is a couple of blocks across from Central Park on the Upper West Side. We walked everywhere. If you don't mind walking this place is perfect for you! Regardless, there are subway stations on 110th and 103rd.

One thing to be aware of is that this is much closer to Harlem than the 'Upper-West Side' location would have you believe but:

1) It is a safe enough area
2) Harlem is a really cool place to go now!

Overall... The Morningside Inn VASTLY exceeded our expectations!

Room Tip: I wouldn't have even considered a shared bathroom!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple