“good and cheap Hostel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #435 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Paris, France
“good and cheap Hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was here for a week, and was quie nice place. Quite cheap to new York and really clean. You have a metro station just few meters away and bar and restaurant close by.
Few meters ago is the Smoke jazz cafe, one of the best place to enjoy a great jazz concert

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We started to enquire about this hotel in January - we needed three nights towards the end of April and found very reasonable prices on booking sites. We checked with the hotel direct and were given a low price. We had noted the high regard in which Patrick was held and that influenced our decision to book. We received and returned a credit card confirmation that clearly gave the price and the correct dates. However, when we arrived the desk staff denied having a reservation for us but found a room for one night saying that Patrick would be there the following morning. When we spoke to him Patrick denied that we had been given the price for three nights and said we had to leave. He flatly refused to look at the document he had sent us or at our email correspondence. His ground for requiring us to leave (apart from being full) was that the price was far too low for three nights and we should have realised that. He became very aggressive (verbally but not physically) and I was getting so stressed by the way in which he was addressing me that I had to walk away. A quick check has just shown that for February next year the prices quoted are roughly what we were given for April this year. We have checked again since we arrived home and at no time was the rate referred to as a nightly rate. On every occasion we gave the same three days and these dates never changed. The amount we ended up having to pay for the one night was slightly more than half what we had been quoted for three nights. The hotel to which we moved was considerably more expensive but considerably better. I found Patrick to be difficult, unreasonable and unpleasant to deal with and this has been by far my worst experience in four visits to New York City.

Room Tip: Make absolutely sure that the price given is for the whole stay, but we found that even a confirmati...
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GrahamA14
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
The Guest above was the one that was very aggressive trying to convince me what I confirmed on their paper work. They sent me an inquiry asking me for the price per night for a Standard Private Bath, I explain to them it will 125 plus 18% tax. They agreed to make a reservation. They wanted to pay before they arrive at the hotel I sent the guest a Credit card authorization form, they authorize me to charge one night on their credit card.I never charge them because I needed full payment for the three nights. I sent them two emails no response. When the arrive they believe the one night stay of 125 was the cost for three nights. The gentleman became irate and argued with me for twenty to thirty minutes. I showed my patience until I had to finally tell him the conversation is over there is nothing I can do for you so they decided to leave. even after all the argumentative nonsense I still gave him a discount..there is no way you could find a three night stay for 125 with the amenities we offer

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I can't even describe the smell in the hotel. Me and my partner literraly had to hold our breath every time we came back to the hotel.

The service and the cleanliness were OK.

Suggestion: go for the rooms in lower floors

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marjanadd
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
What ever odor these geust was referring to was unfounded but i do apologize for you experience at the Morningside Inn,we always take to heart when ever a guest write something negative about the Inn,we will take notice and make any corrections needed to make our guest stay a better one.
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We booked a triple room with shared bathroom and stayed in the hotel for 9 days.
The first day we arrived earlier than the checkin time, aroun 11am, the hotel manager kindly offered to keep our luggage until our room was ready.
We got room 406, it has one double bed and a single, a large TV a small fridge and a closet. There are two bathrooms in the 4th floor and a kitchen with a sink, a microwave and an oven, you can cook there if you have the proper gear because there are no pans or other cooking items. We never had issues using the shared bathroom, at least one of them was always available whenever we wanted to use it and the kitchen was always clean.
As mentioned on other reviews the beds make noises everytime you move but it is not impossible to sleep over them.
An important topic to mention is Wi-Fi, we had good coverage in our room and never had to go to the lobby to use Internet.
The location of the hotel is a pretty good one, it is only three blocks away from the 110th Street-Cathedral Pkwy station, therefore making trips to downtown Manhattan is a very easy task. That station belongs to line 1 and runs directly to Times Square.
The closest avenue to the hotel is Broadway and you'll find all sort of grocerie stores nearby (D'Agostino, Rite Aid, Duane Reade and Garden of Eden are very close). If you walk to the side opposite to broadway you'll reach Central Park, it takes a 10 minute walk to get there.
I was a bit skeptic about staying there but I'm glad we chose the place.
I recommend this hotel for the price, location and quaIity of the rooms.

Room Tip: If you book a triple room, go for 406! Good Wi-Fi coverage and enough space!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

For someone staying on a budget in New York for a few days and not planning to stay in their room for the time there, this is perfect. Rooms are quite clean. Bathrooms are fine too. Possibility of storing luggage, even before and after checking in/out. The staff is professional. Very near to a subway stop. Walking distance of the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine (world's 4th biggest church - nice to check out). The price suits the place, i.e. shouldn't be cheaper nor more expensive for NYC. However, watch out for the elevator, smells more than BAD. Also, don't relly on them for a wake up call.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small - keep that in mind!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Being two college students at the time, we needed something on a budget. While this is a hostel, we made sure we picked a room in which we had our own bathroom. Everything is very small and it's hard to move around. However, it was worth having a small room for our own bathrooms. The beds were very small as well. I'm only 5'7 and my feet were nearly off the bed. The staff was friendly, though. The location is nice as well. We were just a Subway ride away from Times Square. I felt very safe in the neighborhood. We were also a walk away from Central Park. If you're young and looking for a budget, this isn't a bad deal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ajs904
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed in the deluxe room,. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. The location was awesome. It is a simple room but had a fridge. Located close to the subway, yummy restaurants and markets. WIll stay here again. It is a basic budget hotel but it is great. If you have a street facing rooms I would recommend earplugs but that is a-ok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends