“Dissapointed...”
Review of Morningside Inn

Morningside Inn
Ranked #446 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This year was the third time I visited Morningside Inn after 2 good experiences.
I had a reservation made though the webpage and confirmed by phone to stay a few days in a room with private bathroom. I couldn't arrive the day I was supposed to because Manhattan was closed due to the visit of Hurricane Sandy. I called them to inform the situation and they told me that there was no problem to arrive 2 days after.
When I finally got there they told me that my reservation was cancelled and that they didn´t have any room available. After the shock I showed them the on-line reservation and only then they gave me a room that I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy. It was smelly, tiny, with no bathroom, no tv. I was afraid to look under the blankets because it felt dirty. It's a terrible feeling to trust a hotel and then be received with this kind of room
Thanks God I only had to stay for a night until I found another hotel.
I had to pay 91$ for that room! it didn't worth 20....

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JorgeOtrebla
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

I would like to apologize to this guest,it was truely mayhem in the city during Hurricane Sandy,Customers could not go home,they was tring to find a way home they could not so we extended many guest here due to the damge that was happening here in the city.we kept a room for this guest thinking that some one would find a way home.we will not throw some one out of our hotel,we try to assist everyone.I would like to offer this guest a FREE night here at the Morningside Inn,hopefully this will smooth hard feelings.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I booked a room in the Morningside Inn for two nights--mostly just to sleep. Our room had a queen bed and its own bathroom, and the rate was $90/night plus tax--about 1/3 of what other discount hotels in the city wanted. The location was terrific for our needs. We stayed in room 505 and, contrary to what I've read here, we found it very clean and comfortable. The flat screen TV worked, the bathroom had fresh clean towels that appeared new, and the bed had a nice sheet and duvet--all clean. Our only complaint was that the bed was rather hard, and they only supplied two pillows (I asked for another but it never appeared). However, I would not hesitate to stay at the Morningside again and if you need a basic room for a night or two while visiting NYC, which does not kill the budget, I recommend you give it a try!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 505, which faced 107th street. When we booked we insisted on our own private bathr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrmitosis
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had a good experience with This hotel. We stayed 3 nights in a triple bedroom. It was clean. The employees are very nice and helpful. The location is good, very close to the metro and In a multicultural neighbourhood with easy access to Laguardia airport by M60 bus. But don't expect anything fancy. It is an old building with shared bathrooms and Internet is not working in the room. You have to go in the lobby or basement.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank namasteOttawa
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Nice and clean place. 2 blocks away from subway(1-2-3 lines).
Baths are sometimes not clean. But it is because of the people. A classic hostel, do not expect hotel comfort. Rooms are not big, as of any hostel in NYC.

Room Tip: Prefer double private.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aktasch
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My flight was delayed by 3 hours and I checked in after midnight or I would have looked elsewhere. Only reason I was in this inn was an error in booking my next accommodation was made and this place was given as an option.....they have been informed of the state of this inn.
It is a lower cost place ($105.00 per night) - but I would not recommend it unless there are no other optionsavailable
( WIFI is only available in the front reception area - other guests sitting on the stairs on their computers - poor WIFI signal from conversations with these people)
OK - to begin - I had trouble finding the room within this Inn. After getting my luggaqe up to the 4th floor in the tiniest elevator I have ever been on I searched for 412 troughout the whole 4th floor. I had to go back to the lobby and was informed that I should have turned right and go through the door at the end of the hall - but make sure I closed the door behind me as my room was 4 inches behind this hallway door into a dark hallway. Written in felt pen on the door was the number 412 in what looked more like a storage cupboard. There was a dresser, a small mattress wrapped in plastic and it had a yellowed fitted sheet on it and a folded flat sheet ...that's all. No towels, no blanket, no bed spread, there was pieces of garbage on the floor as there was no garbage pail. I put my luggage in room, locked the door and went back to the lobby and the receptionist came back up with me and was surprised at the condition of the room as well. -Said that it must not have been cleaned?? She went off - but was not able to find me a blanket, she brought 4 extra flat sheets and a single towel, and face cloth. ( No offer to make up the bed) Now the bathroom.... It also took a while to find it - (yet another trip to the lobby) - Found it was locked, so never did see the one closest to the room. (keep in mind this is all happening after midnight) Found one at the other end of the Inn and it was not clean. Shower/tub was full of body hair! Toilet not flushed!! No toilet paper?? ( Found out next morning that they supply TP in the guest room...but as I did not have even towels so it was understandable that I would not have TP either) Upon return to room I saw a small four legged, long tailed creature dash down the hall - Put on a jogging suite and socks, put up the hood and lay on the bed waiting for morning. Did not sleep well at all, noise from rain, other rooms and it and was very glad to depart to a wonderful B&B uptown. ( FYI - I own a B&B/Inn in B.C. Canada and know how things should be done - not this way -trust me).

Room Tip: I am a strong believer in if you do not have something nice to say - do not say anything at all. Th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Clairsinnladner
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is very well located, near to a subway station. I spent six nights there, the first four in a Deluxe Apartment Suite with a couple of friends and the last two alone in a Private Bath room. The location is great, and overall I have no real complaints. Both rooms were clean, staff was nice enough, and, most of all, it was affordable. They have a little room where you can leave your luggage if needed, but they're not responsible for your belongs and just give the key alway to any guest. They entered our room for cleaning with us there more than once, yet gave us just one key to a room that can acommodate up to five people. But I will definetly stay there next time I'm in NYC. I'm used to all kinds of hotels, and this is a simple, good enough one, in a city that makes you wanna do anything but sleep or study the ceiling of your hotel room!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The staff were very helpful & friendly. the room was a twin bedded on e. Very clean, clean bedlinen..basic but clean!! only problem was somebody having an argument at 2am in morning.....otherwise o.k. Bathroom was 2 doors down and spotless!! Only stayed one night but was v. good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo