“Great value for those on a budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morningside Inn

Morningside Inn
Ranked #435 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Great value for those on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The staff were very helpful & friendly. the room was a twin bedded on e. Very clean, clean bedlinen..basic but clean!! only problem was somebody having an argument at 2am in morning.....otherwise o.k. Bathroom was 2 doors down and spotless!! Only stayed one night but was v. good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank shaktibhakti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great place to stay a excellent value for your money. Close to manhattan and there were a lot of places in the immediate area to eat and party. The public transportation is very close also I will recommend this place all my friends!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked 3nights stay at morningside inn online. Upon arrival on 19/10, I was told that the room was unavailable for the first night. I was not informed at all before arrival.However, the hotel staff had arranged for me to spend the first night at another hotel at street 88. I was told to pay the other hotel staffat street 88us$ 175 for 1night stay & when I return to morningside inn the balance of $80 at checkout for 2nights stay at morningside. Inaddition, they would hire a cab for my transfer to hotel at street 88. I was told to retain my receipt for redemption of cab fee from the manager. I did as I was told. However, the manager refused to give me the cab fee later & denied that they had made the offer to redeem the cab fee for me. I was also charged $105 instead of 80for the remaining 2 nights, supposedly for city tax.
The cab fee was onlyusd$18 but I was unhappy that the staff did not honour their word. Inaddition, the toilet flush in 1of the common bathrooms broke down on second evening of my stay & could not be repaired till the next day. Also, I was locked inside their 1 of their toilets on 2 occasions. The door lock was faulty. 2 other tourists had the same problem over the 3 days & were locked inside that toilet as well.I had to unlock the door & rescue 1 lady from the bathroom after her shower. I had told the manager abt the problem but the lock was still dysfunctional over 3 days!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank taysiewhua

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Northampton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I would like to lodge a complaint against the Morningside Inn 235 107th St New York, NY. I made a confirmed reservation on line with a deposit through my credit card for a new night stay at the Inn. I arrived at 10:30 pm with my 10 year old daughter and my immunosuppressed disabled sister-in-law (we were in town to see her daughter). We were told there had been a mistake and they had no rooms. We were told this happens frequently. A young woman spent an inordinate amount of time trying to deal with us but told us she had no authority to help us in anyway except to call another hotel. We had to go stay at a hotel with which more than twice as expensive and very far away. By the time we arrived it was 12:30 pm. The next day I called to try to speak to the manager starting at 8:00 am. One number on their card listed as “switch board” did not work at all. The other number was never answered and so I left a series of messages saying we assumed we would have a place to stay for the second night but could not travel all the way back up town as we only had one day in NYC and we wanted to sight-see, not spend hours dealing with the hotel and for the manager to please call back. When we made it back up at 5 pm there was a new young woman with no authority telling us she had no room for us. She could not reach the manager and claimed we had not called but then played one of the messages I had left that said “Hi, I am calling again…” She told us the manager was not allowed to call us back as it was an “out of town” number. She could not reach the manager. Another 1 and ½ hours later (lots of time when you have ONE day in NYC), we took the subway to another much less desirable neighborhood for a more expensive hotel. Upon arriving home I called the manager (Patrick) who was unbelievably rude, never apologized, only offered to refund the deposit and claimed again I could have never left a message for him. He finally hung up on me.
This situation seems especially wrong as they surely would have kept a full night’s fee had I not shown up. Is there no recourse?
Thank you for your time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
First of all I want to apologize to this guest for her mishap,but we did try to assist thie guest,there was a problem with some of our rooms that evening.we did made another reservation and even offered to pay for it with another hotel that was ten minutes from our location.she was suppose to return the next day,she did not,she claim that she called and left a message our front desk is open 24 hours seven days a week we never received such message.since we did not hear anything form her form 9:am that morning until 10:pm that night we release her room.she called me on Monday obviously upset tht we did not hold her room,I offer to pay for the deposit plus pay for any Extra cost she had to pay out.this was not acceptable for her she berated me with insults for about five minutes,I told her i understand you upset but once you calm down and decide if the offer is acceptble please call me back,she did not.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed at the Morningside Inn for 3 nights in Oct 2012. Firstly they gave me a key to a room where somebody was sleeping and had all their belongings. After that error they "upgraded" me to a new room and assured me that nobody would have access to my room key. The upgrade wasn't exactly special; and it probably meant that the person who booked that room got downgraded.

The beds are almost unsafe; they have springs poking into your body and make a noise whenever you move. Impossible to sleep.

I was woken on the second morning to the sound of my room heater blowing steam from a small piston that could not be turned off. I thought it was going to blow up. My room heated up so much that I had to go outside and I feared for my belongings. It happened to all the heaters in the hotel and everyone went to reception, only to be told that she didn't know what to do and that the manager wasn't answering his phone.

The whole place smells of bleach, the staff didn't speak English when they were trying to assign me a room and I felt very uncomfortable, like I was an inconvenience to them, when it was their error for giving me an occupied room.

All in all it was a very disappointing experience not like anything displayed on their website. Also they have lots of hidden taxes that they charge you for. The staff are obviously not trained properly or cared for by the manager.

I'd recommend that you do not stay here!!

• Stayed October 2012
Hamilton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had read the many reviews of this Hotel and having booked through another booking service and not directly with the Hotel I heeded the advice of others and tried to email them at least twice to ensure they had my reservation even though I had the email to prove it and had paid a 10% reservation fee. No reply to email sent to the web site so just before leaving tried the other email on the Hotel site and received a confirmation notice. Just as well because when we arrived from the airport with printed out reservation in hand we were told that we were not on their system and the Hotel was full. It wasn't until I provided proof with the 'confirmation' email from the Hotel that they took us seriously. The receptionist was very nice and tried to sort it out by ringing the Manager but he did not respond and then the lady for the evening shift appeared. We ended up being given someone else's booking for the first night at a lesser standard than we had reserved and were told that we would have to move in the morning and the Manager would sort it out. So back we went the following morning at 0800 and met the Manager (who was very nice also) who told us we could leave our rooms in another room which would be ours after it was cleaned on our return. We returned late that night to find our bags had been moved to a smaller room but at least it had an ensuite. The bed was so uncomfortable as you could feel the wires & springs through the covers. In the end they never charged us so we only paid the deposit for the 2 night stay. The location was close to the metro but still some way from the central shopping area but pretty close to Central park. Make sure you have written proof of reservations when you arrive otherwise you might be left looking for alternative accommodation.

Room Tip: The wifi didn't appear to work on any of the floors other than the entrance
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank juliefHamilton
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'm not giving 1 star but I should. It was my first trip to NY and this hotel was terrible. It was on Holydays so price were very high everywhere, but this place was cheaper than the other (100/night). The only reason I give this hotel 2 stars, is the Absolute Bagels. BEST BAGEL EVER !!! They put like an inche of cream cheese. SO DELICIOUS !! But the hotel room was microscopic, walls are like paper and the personnal are not very helpful. Pay a little bit more and you'ill get a better place than this.

Room Tip: Take those who are on lower floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple