“Fantastic”

Ladysmith, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We had the waiter give us his recommendations as to what to order and were not disappointed. Best Chinese food I have ever had. In the heart of Chinatown, not to be passed by.

• Visited June 2012

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Made the mistake in eating here. Service was dire and unfriendly, took ages to get anything. Couldn't wait to eat up and get out. Needless to say they didn't get a tip - if I had it would be to close down. Avoid at all costs.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Activly try to exploit tourists.”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Managed to choose what must be the worst restaurant in Chinatown. Service was poor from the start, almost indifferent. Food wasn't great, but the real clincher has to be that, as obvious tourists, we were given the full-priced menu, when locals were given the lunchtime specials menu, which is half the price. We had to ask for the specials menu, despite seeing other diners being only being given the specials menu from the start. I said to my companion that it might have just been an oversight, but we carefully checked as other diners were seated, and sure enough, the tourists were only given the full-priced menu. Really can't recommend this place at all, as they actively try and rip off the tourists.

1 Thank Slambers
Nicosia, Cyprus
“De-yiuks is more like it!”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Our family of 6 spent 3 days in New York at the Nolitan, which is practically in Chinatown on the corner of Mott and Kenmare. We ate chinese 4 times in 3 days! The great thing about having so many restaurants concentrated in a small area is that you get to try many, and in the process find some truly awesome food, and the ability to compare.
Of the 4 places where we ate, Shanghai Deluxe was the worst by far.
The Shanghai dumplings were sticky and stodgy compared to others we had elsewhere, and the broth inside was like Maggi, but the real downer was the mooshu.
My daughter (who loves mooshu) first pointed out that it smelled funny, like her borther's socks after judo practice. I smelled the dish carefully up close, it smelled sour, heavy, bordering on something going bad.
I also like things like pickled mustard greens, and vinegar based dishes, so I don't mind soury smells when appropriate. But this was not spicing, or vinegar. It just plainly stunk.
I also tasted it to be sure I am not being overly picky, it tasted really lousy, like the ingredients were not fresh and the spicing was way off. It sucked.

I've been going to Chinatown since 1981, and it has never happened to get such a lousy dish.
Being a regular for 30 years, I am also no stranger to the "Chinatown service model" .
It's kind of part of the experience, and I really never minded.
In this place, I will paraphrase another reviewer, when I say that all the waiters were amazingly skilled at avoiding you with their eyes, it's like they all had special training in it! The restaurant was only around half full, but it was very hard to get their attention.
I called the waiter over to ask for the bill, and told him the mooshu was not good at all. I did not ask him to do anything, waiting to see what he would do.

He brought the bill, where the mooshu was charged, and a tip added(!). I guess it was standard.
I went to pay to the cashier station personally, and told the cashier that the dish was not good, and we should not have to pay for it. She acted dumbstruck, it was immediately obvious this was beyond her limits to handle this situation. She said to me only the manager can handle this. I went for broke and asked for the manager, and was told something incoherent, like there wasn't one.
Anyway, we all got up to dress and leave, to discover (obviously, by the body language)the manageress at the cashier desk, chatting away to the cashier, but obvioulsy not there for our issue. Walking out, I repeated to her politely that the dish was no good. To her credit, she must have sensed (unlike her staff plebes) that it is not really a good idea to completely blow off a customer in 2012, and offered to serve us another dish, but by this time of course too late.
Summary- really crappy dish, and totally useless staff.
considering the place is virtually surrounded by a hundred restaurants, avoiding this dinosaur should not be too difficult.

• Visited January 2012