“Great Neighborhood Restaurant”
Review of Porteno

Porteno
Reserve with OpenTable
Porteno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,016 of 13,838 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Argentinean, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Great Neighborhood Restaurant”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant as it was far away from the tourists and had wonderful Argentinean food. Our server was from Argentina as was a large table of diners. So, yes, it is authentic. The atmosphere is very casual and comfortable. The food was excellent. The wine list was average at best. A great change of pace when visiting NYC.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank TravelerJohn48

westchester, ny
“Couldn't be better”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We joined some friends for a nice dinner. We didn't really expect it to be exceptional. It was. It was a modern Argentine restaurant, with a very sophisticated palate. The restaurant was small, so I would definitely recommend reservations. To begin with, the service was superb. The young server, who took our order was friendly, knowledgeable about the food and ready when she was needed. There were six in our party. Everybody was happy with their food, That was six different entrees and six happy customers. The deserts were also delicious and the price was fair.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank andytherav
Orlando, Florida
“Great!!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Simply great! I had the filet and it melted in my mouth. My husband had the rib eye and the sauce was so good!! it was all good!! The wine was paired perfectly and the dessert was AMAZING! It was a passion fruit dessert and the waitress highly recommended it. I was so thankful that she did. Relax and enjoy, this was my favorite eatery this trip to New York.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Natalia F
San Francisco, California
“Delightful Experience”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I highly recommend Porteno for authentic gourmet Argentinian cuisine. The restaurant is small, which makes for an intimate experience - may not be good for a large group. The service was excellent, and the waitress provided recommendations which were outstanding. In addition to helping us with our order, her cheerful demeanor fit in well with the hospitable atmosphere of the whole experience. From the before dinner cocktails thru dessert each course was excellent, with a variety of choices that seemed truly authentic. I would definitely try to return upon my next visit to NYC.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Charles P
New York
“Passable at best... don't get what everyone else is raving about”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Meal was... passable, but certainly nothing special and the service was lacking. Both missing "the little things" that make a meal special. Salad was over dressed, when I asked for a different side dish to my pork chop (trying to do low carb) they refused anything but a side salad, they jammed a big group table right up against our own even though the restaurant was half-empty, food all lacked a bit of extra "oomph" with spice or sour notes and/or texture, dishes for my wife and I didn't come out together so we ended up eating kinda like a relay race (she had her ap, then I had mine), so on, and so on. I've had far worse dining experiences too so I take this in perspective, but there are many many better options in the area.

• Visited June 2013