“Expected much more...”

The Leopard at des Artistes
Reserve with OpenTable
The Leopard at des Artistes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #743 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Central Park West & Columbus Ave
Description: Located in the New York landmarked Hotel Des Artistes, and surrounded by the astonishing 1920s murals by Howard Chandler Christy, THE LEOPARD at des Artistes finds its roots in the area once known as “The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies” (mid 1800s) and in the culinary traditions of the regions of Campania, Basilicata, Calabria, Apulia, Sardinia, and of course Sicily, reaching a balance between dishes based on rural elements, such as pasta, vegetables, cheese, and seafood ingredients from the Costiera.
Huntsville, AL
“Expected much more...”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was in NYC over spring break with a friend and our 2 teenagers. When traveling, I like exposing my kids to fine dining, as well as new & interesting restaurants. I looked online & chose the Leopard based on the beautiful photos, previous reviews & the pre-theatre dining option.

The food was definitely good, but not outstanding. Presentation was very nice, and the pre-theatre meal was reasonably priced. The art in the restaurant is beautiful, but the online photos of the restaurant make it appear much more exquisite than it is in reality.

Negatives:
- We made 5:30 reservations for an 8:00 show, and actually walked in the theatre a few minutes after 8:00. Luckily, the show had not begun, but the service at the restaurant was very slow. Things like this make me wonder if the "pre-theatre" diners are not treated with the same service as other patrons.
- They were out of several items on the pre-theatre menu and had to make a number of substitutions.
- I'm aware that the approach to dining is very different in the south than the north; however, our non-alcoholic beverage bill for 4 people was $70 due to refills on tea & soft drinks. We knew the restaurant would charge for refills...what we did not anticipate was that by the time they filled the glasses full of ice, they held very few ounces and yet, charged $6 per refill.
- Lastly, my daughter's wallet was missing when we left the restaurant, and we called on the way to the show to see if it had slipped out of her purse at the table. The hostess took down my information (which she said she still had from the reservation), and told me she would talk to the servers to see if the wallet had been discovered and call me back. She never called. (Luckily, my daughter had left her wallet at the hotel, but still...they never called).

NYC has so many unique and wonderful restaurants to choose from...I would not put this on my list when travelling there again.

1 Thank Sara256

Miami
“Great dinner”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Was a really good food but better service! All the staff was very kind. My husband and I ate very good dishes! We recomend this place very much!

• Visited April 2013
Rochester
“Wonderful Birthday Meal at the Leopard”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were worried that our visit to The Leopard would be a disappointment due to it being the scene of our first real date 15 years ago. Previously we had come back each year for a wonderful meal, served by long time waiter Hyman. Alas, last time we arrived a few years back, Hyman had retired but the food was still terrific.
This time we were lucky enough to have Rares as our server and he was great. The rabbit appetizer with its grilled polenta was perfect, as was my husband's grilled octopus. As entrees, our Branzino with yellow potato and artichoke salad and then Potato and chestnut Gnocchi with braised lamb ossobuco ragout were both just as good. Zabione finished us off! What a joy to discover that this vintage, iconic restaurant with its erotic murals by Howard Chandler Christy is still there!
Only detriment -- the three college age people sitting at table next to us in street clothes (including the young man wearing his hat through dinner) who texted, were dismissive and rude to staff and in general had no idea how to behave. Dying to know how they afford casual dinners at places like this!

• Visited February 2013
edinburgh
“Delicious meal, lovely surroundings”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We visited the leopard on a recent trip to New York to celebrate a special birthday and wanted somewhere decent for our meal on the Saturday night. We found it relatively easy to get a table and they were very good about us pushing back our table for an hour when we were running late. Our table wasn't great (not surprising as we'd changed our time!) but the restaurant was lovely, with beautiful murals on the wall. It was very busy but the noise level was ambient. The menu was very italian, with only italian wines to choose from, which was a novelty. Our waiter was extremely helpful and charming and made several suggestions which we went with, such as the freshly caught special of dover sole. It was expertly deboned and served at the table and delicious! He also recommended a great wine for the meal. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening here and would return if back in the city.

1 Thank scottishlass24
San Francisco, California
“Exceptional”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Last night I had the pleasure of dining at The Leopard @ des Artistles. I started with the lobster salad (with lighly fried capers), swordfish for my main course, and bread pudding for desert. It was all exceptional. The wait staff is some of the best in New York. The location at Central Park West and W. 67th St. makes it an excellent choice when going to Lincoln Center.

Exceptional is how I describe the food, the service, and the decor at The Leopard @ des Artistles. The murals are legendary. It is an excellent value for the dining experience they provide. My only complaint is that it gets really noisy when they're full, but everything else is superb.