“Delicious meal, lovely surroundings”

The Leopard at des Artistes
Reserve with OpenTable
The Leopard at des Artistes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #764 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Central Park West & Columbus Ave
Description: Located in the New York landmarked Hotel Des Artistes, and surrounded by the astonishing 1920s murals by Howard Chandler Christy, THE LEOPARD at des Artistes finds its roots in the area once known as “The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies” (mid 1800s) and in the culinary traditions of the regions of Campania, Basilicata, Calabria, Apulia, Sardinia, and of course Sicily, reaching a balance between dishes based on rural elements, such as pasta, vegetables, cheese, and seafood ingredients from the Costiera.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We visited the leopard on a recent trip to New York to celebrate a special birthday and wanted somewhere decent for our meal on the Saturday night. We found it relatively easy to get a table and they were very good about us pushing back our table for an hour when we were running late. Our table wasn't great (not surprising as we'd changed our time!) but the restaurant was lovely, with beautiful murals on the wall. It was very busy but the noise level was ambient. The menu was very italian, with only italian wines to choose from, which was a novelty. Our waiter was extremely helpful and charming and made several suggestions which we went with, such as the freshly caught special of dover sole. It was expertly deboned and served at the table and delicious! He also recommended a great wine for the meal. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening here and would return if back in the city.

1  Thank scottishlass24

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Last night I had the pleasure of dining at The Leopard @ des Artistles. I started with the lobster salad (with lighly fried capers), swordfish for my main course, and bread pudding for desert. It was all exceptional. The wait staff is some of the best in New York. The location at Central Park West and W. 67th St. makes it an excellent choice when going to Lincoln Center.

Exceptional is how I describe the food, the service, and the decor at The Leopard @ des Artistles. The murals are legendary. It is an excellent value for the dining experience they provide. My only complaint is that it gets really noisy when they're full, but everything else is superb.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Before going to eat at this restaurant , I had read the reviews and hence was possibly expecting a bit too much. However the decor is simply amazing and the service is excellent. Food is simply delicious but not outrageously inventive . My wife has the cold meat platter as a starter and I had pasta with rabbit. The latter was great however it was the most disappointing plate to say the truth especially since i eat this frequenttly since it is our local delicacy and i was expecting a home run in this restaurant. My wife then had venison which was out of this world. For my main i was not asked by the waiter whether i would like any side dishes and ended up only having meat as the main . I had a great chocolate fodant whereas my wife had an apple crocante, here we too were slightly disappointed in that we were expecting something more out rageous than a cooked apple with some crumble along the side.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I were engaged at Cafe des Artistes many years ago and, though we hadn't dined there in years, we were upset when we heard that it closed in '09. When it reopened in '11 as The Leopard, the NY Times review didn't make me want to rush back.

So with a bit of trepidation, I surprised my wife for her birthday recently with our first visit and we couldn't have been more pleased with the results. Service was excellent and the food was outstanding. For apps, my wife loved the yellow and red beet salad and I thoroughly enjoyed the fennel and blood orange salad ($10). For mains, we both had specials: she had a perfectly prepared (but pricey...$48) branzino while I had cavatelli with short ribs and peas ($24). Portion sizes were perfect. We shared the warm lava chocolate cake and they surprised her with a warm pear torte...both outstanding.

All in all...we've just happily added The Leopard to our list of go-to places for special occasions.

2  Thank brodmktg
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I had an outstanding dinner at The Leopard prior to attending a performance at The Metropolitan Opera this past Friday evening. This was one of the best meals we have ever had at a New York City restaurant, which says a lot coming from two native New Yorkers.

The restaurant design is elegant and sophisticated, and was very pleasant. The service was exceptional. Our waiter was very charming, helpful, and attentive. The food was just outstanding.

I had the lentil and ricotta cakes as an appetizer, and the pan seared venison loin as a main course. The lentil and ricotta cakes had great flavor, and the venison was extremely tender with wonderful flavors. The serving size was large (3 perfectly prepared venison fillets), and was probably the best venison I have ever eaten. The dessert special was an apricot almond tart that was also delicious. My wife had an artichoke heart appetizer, the grilled Berkshire pork, and mascarpone panacotta for dessert, and all were delicious. The mascarpone panacotta was incredibly creamy.

We were thrilled with our dining experience at The Leopard and will definitely be back on our next trip to New York City.

3  Thank Walsung