“Great, Cheap And Tasty Israeli/Mediterranean Food”

Hummus Place Upper West Side
Ranked #244 of 14,292 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Israeli
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is humus, tahini and felafel heaven in a tiny, basement cafe on Amsterdam Avenue between 75th and 74th Streets. Its always crowded but the turnover is high so there is generally not a long time to wait before you're seated at one of the tightly packed little tables. This is an almost entirely vegetarian cafe with excellent and freshly prepared salads, wonderful tahini and humus in many guises plus some classic middle-eastern pita sandwiches with eggplant, tahini, boiled egg and other goodies. If I'd have had more room in my stomach I'd have ordered the classic shakshuka, a stew made with eggs, tomatoes, onions, peppers and eggplants. But I had an excellent ginger soup instead. Wine is served in generous quantities in glass tumblers. Prices are extraordinarily reasonable. The customers seem mostly to be youngish folk in their 2os and 30s. This s a real find on the UWS.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a wonderful, quaint little restaurant which was very near our hotel (Lucerne). The hummus platter was wonderful as were the side order beets w/ walnuts. I highly recommend both. Stay away from the sangria; it is based on either soda water or Sprite and was truly terrible. Stick with wine. I honestly hope they just 'forgot' to add the wine to our sangria, because I can't imagine it's this bad all the time. The place was darling; our particular waitress was not good, but others seemed attentive. We had to ask for silver, had to ask for pita bread (twice - even though we were only eating hummus and obviously required pita). She was seriously so neglectful that when it started raining (we were seated outside) she was quite put out that we needed an inside table although they were not full. The other patrons' server quickly and cheerfully helped them move in while we took three trips 'schelpping' our dishes on our own, so... MOST SERVERS SEEMED GREAT, so.. That said, its worth a visit.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We decided to eat something more healthful before going to the Levain Bakery. Excellent hummus and salads. It is just a fun neighborhood eatery.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

After returning from Israel last year, I had a hankering for an eggplant pita. All the usual falafel joints didn't measure up, but then i went to this wonderful little basement restaurant. Casual, efficient, with a friendly staff. And the hummus is smooth and creamy. If you want, it can also be nuclear spicy, so just make your desires known.

Close to the great "new" public plaza on Broadway at the 72nd Street subway station.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

To be honest, I don't eat hummus as I'm allergic to chickpeas. My Israeli boyfriend, however, had been convinced he'd never eat good hummus again unless he visited Israel. Then I took him here. I read reviews and hoped he would enjoy it as he's had other hummus in the states and was left extremely disappointed. When he tasted their hummus masabacha it was like he had died and gone to heaven. He tore into those fresh pitas and slopped up every bit of that hummus while he sipped on some Goldstar in between. I had some of the pita which was delicious with that cilantro jam stuff they serve it which was also extremely tasty. The mint iced tea was so refreshing and when we ordered the malabi for dessert it was my turn to go nuts. That amazing dessert is the stuff of my dreams: vanilla bean and rose water flan with almonds and coconut drizzled with grenadine-- yum! The bf isn't the biggest fan of the city but he would die if we didn't come here every chance we got so that he could have a true taste of home.