“We liked it!”

Ranked #253 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

The best things about The Out were:
-it's gay, pretty much.
-largest room we've ever had in NYC
-cool stylish spa/hot tub area
-very comfortable bed, soft towels, nice soaps & stuff; and clean btw
-nice bathroom
-Ktchn (restaurant) was really good, with very competent gracious service (noticeably better than the hotel's).
-decent price for NYC! We paid $278+taxes.

On the minus side:
-pounding disco bass on Fri and Sat nights (till 4am) from XL on the 1st floor. We slept thru it, amazingly. It helped that we read reviews so weren't surprised. But be forewarned, the walls literally buzz. One lamp flickered to the beat.
-uneven staff. That's being kind. Some friendly and genuine, a lot of them kind of thuggy. Few really professional.
-uneven maintenance. Chips in the sink, reading lamps burned out (melted, actually), slow drain. Price of high-style interior design I guess. It seems to be getting worn already.

You might think from this that the negatives predominated--they didn't, because for us the positives were very positive. I wrote up the negatives because I hope the Mgt will work on them. The Out is worth the trouble.

(Except for the noise, which obviously can't be changed. The fix for that is be more upfront. They know which are the loud rooms. And btw ours must have been way quieter than the ones on the 1st floor!)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
OUT_NYC_Manager, General Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Cb-Peacham,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback pertaining to your recent stay. We’re happy to hear that the portion of your stay that did not meet your standards did not impugn your opinion of THE OUT. We would like to sincerely apologize for the disappointing aspects of your stay. Our team is reviewing your comments in order to improve guests’ experience. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for The Out NYC

Reviewed November 22, 2013

This new concept of hotel is refreshing and fresh for a crowded city like NY. Let's start by the good things:
- Big and comfy room with great amenities and luxury products.
- Friendly staff and good choice of drinks and food
- Great location in the middle of HK
- Free high speed WI-FI

Bad points:
-Slow check-in
-Last day at 7am the hot water wasn't working , they tried to fix it but after 1 hour they managed to do so. I got a 50 USD discount of my bill due to this issue as I was checking out for a long haul flight at 8am.
-No coffee or tea amenity on the room which is a big disappointment for the quality of the hotel.
-Very loud if you are trying to get a good night sleep as hotel is just next to the XL club with loud music till 3am on weekdays and 5am on weekends.

Good choice but they still have to work still on these minor issues.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GiancarloA330

GIANCARLOSILVESTRI,

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We pride ourselves on our levels of customer service and our central NYC location. We would like to welcome you back and remedy your negative experiences. Upon your return, we hope to fill in the blanks where you may have found inconsistencies during your initial stay. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Great service, friendly staff, big rooms and fantastic beds. KTCHN restaurant exceeded expectations. In the middle of booming HK area and very close to Times Square yes away far enough from the masses..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Basquiat76

Dear Basquit76,

We appreciate you sharing your experience at THE OUT. Thank you for your feedback for fellow travelers to reference! We appreciate your kind words immensely and look forward to welcoming you back!

Most sincerely,

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I wasn't very keen to stay here, but not having booked or planned this trip I really couldn't complain. I didn't like the fact it was straight friendly and being gay myself I have my own opinions about "gay" venues.

The room was a good size and the bed very comfortable, it was always clean and linen changed daily.
The massive and I mean massive mirror at the back of the bed made me think of a seedy motel and then to my surprise I find one just as big in the shower/bath. I'm sure some residents find this appealing, I didn't.
The air con was a bit on the loud side but not enough to keep me awake.
I did hear the noise from the club but ear plugs from my flight solved that issue!
I did have a daily drink at the bar and being happy hour 2for1 on all drinks it would be rude not to!
The staff in all areas were always very pleasant.
It was a good stay but I wouldn't want to come back here unless forced to by pricing, I was always aware this was a gay hotel and it made me a tad uncomfortable at times.
I'm of the opinion we don't need "straight friendly" hotels as much as we need "gay friendly" ones. That said I know lots of people will love this place for what it is.
As for families coming here, I suspect they are driven by price.
Location wise this a very central hotel, very close to Times Square and the theatres!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ultreen
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed one night at the place. Was very loud in rooms. Heard the base from the XL nite club all nite. Dont go there if you plan on wanting to sleep. It fine if you want to party all nite. for discount price I would stay again. Rooms were clean and service was OK.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelzinn

Dear Michaelzinn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at THE OUT NYC. It is always helpful to hear guests’ feedback. That being said, we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us direcly for any future stay in hopes that we can redefine your opinion of THE OUT NYC. We will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I know, I know.. they welcome everyone, but this is great for gays. The rooms are small, but the weather was beautiful when I was there in September – we spent most of our time relaxing in the courtyard in the center of the rooms.

The OUT is what appears to be an old motor lodge (NYC style) that's been renovated extensively to be a hip, modern space. It has an amazing spa facility and hot tubs out in the open spaces. The rooms were very modern and I loved the big walk-in showers and modern fixtures. I only stayed there for one night, but it was great and priced right. The front desk staff was helpful and nice.

Room Tip: Get a room on the courtyard level, so you can simply walk out and spread out a little on the patio f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
OUT_NYC_Manager, Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear TallerTwentyFive,

Thank you for your review! Our team is delighted to know you enjoyed your stay along with our amenities and service. Please let us know if we can assist with any future reservation requests.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was my first visit and was very pleased. I will return. Employees all very friendly and offer great service. I enjoyed the spa & hot tub--a great facility as well as a good exercise room. The food at the brunch on Sunday was outstanding as well as the fun entertainment of the drag duo.

Room Tip: Rooms that face 42nd street are very noisy when people are in line to get into the club
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Kenneth H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback for fellow travelers! We appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit in The Big Apple.

Best,