“Not really a hotel...”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Ranked #283 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Do yourself a favor, always read the reviews! I did not and my husband and I had to check out of this "hotel" at 1 am due to the pounding of the nighclub below our room. They had no other rooms on "the quiet side" of the hotel, which I cant imagine even exists since the walls and furniture were shaking from the sound. How a hotel can do business this way is beyond me. And the fact that our bill for the nights stay was waved so quickly means that they must deal with turnaway all the time. Which I cant imagine is good for business. I certainly wouldnt recommend this to anyone but a club kid. No one would get a good nights sleep unless they are totally drunk. On the up side, the room was well decorated and clean and the staff while disinterested, were pleasant.

Room Tip: Do not book here if you want a romantic or restful night.
2  Thank Caraine K

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I booked at the absolute last minute, choosing the hotel as it was massively reduced.

The whole place is stylish, but friendly. Reception had no record of my booking at all when I arrived, but I emailed them my reminder and was checked in with no further delay. The room was nice, but the wifi didn't reach the desk - a problem as I needed to work from the hotel the next day. I went back down, and with no problem at all was moved to a suite. Can't say fairer than that!

The wifi was intermittent the last day I was there, but I really have no other complaint. The room was comfortable, the shower was good, the staff (in my limited interaction) were all very pleasant.

The in-room TV described The Out as NYC's Premier Straight Friendly Gay Resort. I can't say I noticed, but as a straight business traveller I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Indeed, next time I would make the effort to bring kit to enjoy the resort aspects.

My only concern would be that the AC appeared to be VERY noisy - could be annoying in the summer.

Recommended.

Room Tip: Corner rooms don't really get wifi apparently.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
OUT_NYC_Manager, General Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear LichfieldGordon,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to see that the front desk was able to accommodate you after experiencing wifi issues. We hope you will choose The OUT NYC Urban Resort for your next visit to The Big Apple. Please do not hesitate to contact us direclty with any future reservaiton inquiries.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The OUT is a very contemporary hotel about four blocks from Times Square on the far West Side of Manhattan, with art in the lobby and a minimalist black and white design scheme in the rooms. While the focus is on style, The OUT is an excellent business hotel for a number of reasons: 1) Midtown location; 2) free wi-fi; 3) fully-equipped fitness center (including free weights which are often absent in hotels); 4) room service and bar/restaurant open late; 5) 24-hour pharmacy next door; 6) stand-up shower (no icky shower curtains) with large size soap and shampoo (no tiny hotel-size toiletries); 7) dresser with large drawers and an ample hanging rack (for a full week of business attire, etc.). The restaurant, KTCHN, serves bistro-type dishes and I had an excellent fish entree that was perfectly cooked. For some, the location between 10th and 11th Aves will seem a bit far west - but cab rides will be easy due to the proximity to the West Side Highway which will allow you to bypass Midtown traffic. The subway is also only two blocks away at 8th Ave. Hudson River Park is two blocks west and "Restaurant Row" is just a short walk north. The Hotel is only about three stories tall so none of the rooms will have a "skyline view," but there also won't be blinding Times Square lights streaming through the window at night.

Room Tip: Hotel has two interior courtyards and rooms facing these courtyards are quieter but get less light.

Dear Suffolkblueline,

Thank you for your detailed review! We are delighted to know you experienced and enjoyed all that The OUT NYC Urban Resort has to offer. Please contact us directly to book your next stay with us!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I chose The Out for our adventure in NYC mainly for location (ability to wheel our bags down from the 42nd Street Bus Terminal).
I had no idea of the hotel theme at the time; it was a bit of a surprise; one that was soon turned around once Diane and I got there.
The staff were both friendly and welcoming!!!
Our room was a Deluxe King, and was fully stocked (both bar fridge and bathroom).
Now, remember this is NYC; a three story hotel is going to have some street noise. There was some, but not excessive as to disturb our sleep.
The AC works brilliantly, bringing the room temperature down as low as 60F.
The spa area was a Godsend after a day of walking the streets of NYC (one day we walked from Battery Park to 42nd Street).
There did not seem to be anything too out much to ask of the staff (a recommendation, a bucket of ice; all with friendly speed and efficiency).
The only downside we experienced was the speed of the inclusive internet; slow, but workable.
Our four days in NYC were certainly enhanced by our stay at The Out; our thanks to all of the staff for the experience.

Room Tip: Room 350 was beaut

Dear David O,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! Our staff is thrilled to know we enhanced your stay in NYC and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Comfortable, Clean, and Luxurious! Loved the mirrors and lighting in the room! Quality shampoo, lotions, and robe a nice touch. This straight, retired couple found staff friendly and attentive. Enjoyed watching the 42nd St. activity from our 3rd floor room which was quiet enough for sleep. Attention to maintenance details could be improved. Internet signal was poor in this room. Bath exhaust not working. Could have used a luggage rack or two.

Room Tip: Internet signal can be poor--ask for room with good service.

Dear Judith S,

Thank you for your review. Our department heads are reviewing your feedback to update some of the items mentioned in your review including our wifi service. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back for your next romantic getaway to NYC.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I just returned from a two night stay at the Out Hotel on a business trip to the City. I don't understand the complaints about the staff. In my interactions they were always friendly and helpful. I checked in early and hurriedly (I had to get back to my conference) with no problem. When I returned to my room, which was on 42nd Street, I could hear a bit of street noise. I went to the front desk and was cheerfully switched to an interior room. The hotel itself is "hip" and stylish; by New York standards the room was quite large; the room was clean and nicely decorated; the bed was comfortable; and, as others have noted, the location is convenient. Most importantly I got a good night's sleep both nights. I would definitely return.

FritzL2,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that your request for a different room was taken care of and that you rested well. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

The OUT NYC Hotel has become my all-time favorite place to stay in NYC ! Literally, home away from home. Service, Style, Space - this hotel has it all. The front desk staff deserves 5 Stars (as they exceed any level of service I have received in most 4 Star Hotels.) No matter what the need or request – you’re covered. I continue to recommend this hotel to friends both far & near, and I’ve yet to hear of any disappointment. Special thanks to Erin, Chrystal & Anthony for such impeccable hospitality & for welcoming me “in” to the “OUT.”

Dear Scott David S,

Thank you for posting such flattering feedback! We appreciate your recommendation to others and for your continued patronage. Our team looks forward to welcoming you and your friends back again and again!

All the best,