“The OUTnyc”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Ranked #253 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Cool hotel/motel concept - conveniently located near mid-town. Lots of amenities nearby. Sleek, modern design. Very friendly staff (esp the doormen who routinely went extra mile to get us hard-to-find taxi cabs). Housekeeping went the extra mile to find items we had accidentally left in the room. Hotel seemed to be quite quiet during our 5 day stay...hot tubs and/or cabanas in interior courtroom were mostly empty. There was not a sense that hotel itself was a "party hotel'". Guests seemed to skew older (35-40+) Restaurant ("KTCHN") was great with fun drinks and good staff. XL nightclub (adjacent to hotel) was fun on Friday. One downside: XL nightclub is underground but the driving bass music resonates through much of the hotel. We were originally on the 3rd (top) floor and could still hear the bass quite well (nightclub closes at 4:30am on Fridays and Saturdays). On Friday we were at the club til very late, so noise wasnt an issue. But on Saturday night, we got back to hotel at 3am and were unable to sleep til 4:30am because of bass. So we switched rooms for Sunday night. XL nightclub on a Sunday night is very lame - a sleazy stripclub that is tragic/forgettable (esp for the $10 cover and $10 drinks)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor and away from the XL nightclub...to avoid loud bass music on weekend...

Dear Tntelvis,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback from your recent stay at the OUT NYC. It’s great to hear, that you were able to take full advantage of the resort and many amenities we have to offer: Spa, KTCHN and XL. I do apologize for the noise from XL on Saturday night, I do hope this did not affect your stay too much. I will be passing along your comments to the OUT Team, we love to hear feedback such as yours, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Out NYC

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The hotel is awesome. Comfort, staff, club. I really enjoyed my stay. Even roommates. The gallery is beautiful. Fast Wifi. Safety. I would highlight one member of the staff, Anthony, who was supportive and gave me many interesting tips about NYC.

Only one problem: There was no housekeeping at night. I had a problem in my room (shared) that needed assistance but after speaking with front desk staff, I was informed it could only be solved in the next day. The toilet remained unclean until the other afternoon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Luis S,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule, to provide me with your feedback from your recent stay at the OUT NYC. It’s great to hear you were able to take full advantage of the resort, and found the staff and rooms accommodating. I will be sure to share your comments with Anthony, and give him the kudos he deserves. I do apologize for any inconveniences experienced with the bathroom during your stay. I will defiantly share your post with our Housekeeping Department, so that other guests are not inconvenienced in the same way.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

(...so naturally, as a life-changing event, it need be described in detail: let the reader beware...)

I was called on Tuesday night with a request for a meeting Wednesday afternoon in Manhattan. On such short notice, I managed to get a flight out in the morning but my usual hotel, the Penn, was booked. I Yelped hotels around the Javitz and stumbled upon "The Out," a boutique hotel which was a five minute walk from the meeting and reasonably priced (for NYC anyway).

After I booked/paid/packed and was en route, I googled it inflight to LGA (better than JFK...just sayin) and buried in its chic website, much to my chagrin, I found that the hotel advertised itself as a straight friendly urban resort (emphasis on straight).

Admittedly, being from the South, I am a bit slow (I can say that because I am from the South) so maybe should have picked-up on the innuendo in the name. Maybe I should have researched more when I saw that they offered a room with two bunk beds to share with friends - or even three strangers if needed (for ONLY $99/night!!!). But again, this Southerner did not think to check, sated with being able to actually get a room on such short notice; so close to my meeting; at such a reasonable rate; and, a Fodor Top 100 Hotel in 2012 (when they opened) no less. Who would have thunk it?

(Okay. Here is the CL moment:)
Me: A 51yo 6'2" 190(ish) lb gym-fit MWM (with children) definitely HWP, DDF, casually discreet, naturally smooth professional
You: A boutique hotel in (as I just found out from Fodor) the classically gay section of Manhattan that advertises that it more than tolerates my type.

So with (I hope you now surmise and can justify) understandably much trepidation, I "deplaned" (yes apparently it is a word), got into my waiting Metro Line sedan ($47/ea way and IMO best service from LGA to/from the city) and shortly thereafter, arrived at The Out - W 42nd bw 10th/11th.

This urban resort is set in a relatively squat warehouse ("-ish") 3-story building next to the Mid-Town North precinct police station and with the multiple squad cars parked in the front, my first impression was that my Metro man had brought me to a fresh crime scene. The space's restaurant is to the left of the entrance and aptly named "Ktchn" which even for a simpleton such as myself signals the brain that edibles are inside.

So gathering my wits (and courage) about me, without purpose or agenda other than securing a clean well-lighted place for the night, I threw caution to the wind and entered, fully expecting a Pricilla Queen of the Dessert moment. In its stay, I experienced the same feeling I had the first time I walked thru Pei's entrance to the Louvre: modern and sophisticated; simple clean almost sterile; and importantly, a familiar and comfortable embrace.

To the right of the entrance is a sitting area with a few large “mask” sculptures and plentiful modern (and invitingly comfortable) seating. But importantly, winding down the art strewn hallway - a collaboration between the resort and local artists (this time a bit of an Aztec theme I think) - I found the sharp efficient and friendly Asian (yes it is okay to say that) woman (hereinafter "She") at the front desk.

I arrived a bit before noon - check-in is listed at 4pm (FYI 11am check-out) - and being too early with no rooms available, She had the bellman secure my bags, making sure that I took out what was necessary for my wait; gave me a blank key so I could roam/use the facilities; and, took my cell number to let me know when my room was available. In short, first impression, She made me feel like “I was kind. I was smart. I was important" (maybe paraphrased from Aibileen from "The Help").

So off I went to explore. My meeting was not until 2pm. I had left Raleigh a 4:30am and had not had the chance to hit my gym so decided to take advantage of their advertised "spa" facilities - part of their resort theme.

To summarize, it was much, much less than non-disappointing with "most impressive" being not quite an accurate superlative. Maybe "awe inspiring" or something along those lines is more appropriate...

In the first place, in wandering through the resort, I noted it is designed around huge interior courtyards, and in my impression similar to an Italian villa and the house my family had in the French Quarter. On the 2nd floor, there is a huge open-air area lined in (faux) grass and ivy with multiple sofas and comfy chairs: perfect for winding down with a glass of wine; an intimate reception; or as I witnessed - a female guest in action, some sweat time with a personal trainer. I think this space is referred to as "The Great Lawn" and is accessed either via elevator or stairs from the third floor accentuated by a water feature.

Connected by glass doors by a window wall is a solarium space with chaise lounges, two in-ground hot tubs, European-style cabanas (!!!) and a waterfall that stretches the width of the area. Ambient was mid-sixties out but easy mid-seventies in so actually comfortable toasty for sunbathing - and apparently yoga as a shout out to the older gentleman putting on the show: Namaste.

To the left of the “solarium” I made my way to the locker rooms - lockers all with 4 digit electronic codes so no need for actual locks -thru the entrance labelled "Spa" and after changing and grabbing some lemon water, stuck my head around the corner to note the ample dry sauna and steam rooms and the community shower area (three heads, no curtains, open floor plan).

So after a quick change, it was off to the gym which by hotel standards (but maybe not resort) was certainly well equipped (cardio, cable stations, dumbbells, exercise balls, yoga mats, etc). The only issue that arose during my 1 hour workout was the minimal gym etiquette displayed by the aforementioned female guest and her trainer who monopolized most of the space.

But I did get my work-out completed and had time to hit the showers and make myself appropriate for the biz meeting at 2pm. Okay – so this is where it gets interesting. The showers are “open” and as I soon discovered, unisex. Boys/girls showering, hanging out in the sauna and changing together. I guess what was surprising is that before jumping in, I asked advice from the passing security guard (a girl) who assured me that it was well accepted at the hotel and that in fact there had never been an incidence of impropriety. So throwing caution to the wind, I disrobed, scrubbed my parts and pieces, suited up and after literally less than 10 min walk, was at my meeting at the Javitz.

By the time I returned, I had already been celled that my room was ready and She had upgraded me to an executive room – not sure what that really meant but it sounded good. I picked up my slick black electronic (non- swipe) key card, grabbed my bags and caught the elevator to my room (#307).

The room definitely did not disappoint – very sleek, modern, minimalistic, comfy and leaving little to be desired. It even had a sofa and glass coffee table. The bathroom area was separated from the sleeping/work area by floor to ceiling frosted sliding glass doors and the bathroom itself – glass sinks, herbal bathing products and comfy robes – I would say was better than most any hotel I have stayed save a few.

Some neat stuff: the nightstands are actually white frosted acrylic cubes that serve as lights; the phone/clock/music device has ports for all of your iStuff (w/o i5), androids and USB; the mini-fridge under the safe is fully stocked and items not unreasonably priced (e.g Perrier Jouet split $42); snacks are plentiful and packed in clear acrylic rectangles (so you can see what you are getting); the window faces the interior courtyard (mine the lawn) with retro/modern shades and blackouts; and, they offer a “bunny juice intimacy kit.” Need I say more?

Travel beat with 90 minutes to kill before the business dinner at 6:30pm, I suited up and headed to the sauna/steam room to relax. This time, en route, I noted the two hot tubs and solarium area in use – a dozen or so scantily-clad mostly young, gym buff men with beverages. While they certainly looked like they were enjoying themselves and the scene inviting, admittedly I was not sure at this point (I had only been there a few hours) if straight was accepted at this lunch counter and did not want to press my luck.

So into shower I went, rinsing off before entering the dry sauna (proper etiquette) and then bounced back and forth between wet (steam) and dry. The steam needs to be adjusted slightly as it is not really steamy enough (in my opinion), only spewing periodically and then not quite enough but with this single exception, the experience was surprisingly perfect.

The women in the unisex steam room were much less disconcerting then later showering with both males and females in the open area but I guess it just takes some getting used to. No one was out of sorts or embarrassed (except perhaps me) and it was actually a friendly atmosphere.

Now refreshed and having the wherewithal to schedule the dinner in the Ktchn, I met my acquaintance – a late sixty-year old ginger woman, a former nurse now turned alternative health professional – in the half-full restaurant, greeted at the door and seated in a comfy booth next to the full windows. As expected, very modern; very open; and, very clean.

Within less than a minute, we met our first waiter who offered us menus and took our drink order (she a top-shelf and me a double dirty). Several drinks down the road, our second waiter (apparently there was a shift change) took our appetizer order and then following more drinks (I believe we were each on our 4th), a third waiter brought us the quite scrumptious Quinoa Bites, Lobster Balls and bread.

The biggest problem was that the service was just really too good: the waiters to attentive, friendly and numerous. Apparently although shift change, the 1st waiter never left so we really had four very personable friends constantly checking back and as the alcohol settled in, the conversations more memorable. So having switched sometime back to tequila shots to help wash the cocktails down (and stopped counting after 5), following the acquaintance’s very inappropriate two-hand-to-cheek glute grab (the waiter much more gracious than I would have been), I got the check ($200) and sent her off to her lowly hotel.

I had fully intended to visit the XLNightclub for a drink and look-see but a busy day combined with my excess dictated that I retire for the evening. Unfortunately for me en route to my room, by the looks of the now crowded courtyard and solarium, I missed out on most likely being accepted and socializing.

The bed was comfy; my body caught up; the morning workout was great (no one else in the gym); and, the checkout seamless.

So as I bumpered-to-bumpered in my Metro on the way to LaGuardia, I realized it to be unique when there is a marriage between love and passion; excellence and fun – a joie de vivre that can accurately be displayed, shared with and felt by strangers. Whoever conceived, designed, persisted and built this space did just that. I can only hope that they repeat the process in places her than NYC.

My only regret is the trip was too short – my excess to plentiful. Realistically, I was there less than one night so although doubtful, the experience may have been a fluke. For a true review, I would need to come in on a Thursday – stay in a “regular” room; the share a quad bunk room with strangers; then experience the one-bedroom suite; take in some spa treatments; a full dinner at Ktchn; and finally, XLNightclub. So considered this review while wordy, somewhat abridged.

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to have the full experience and give an honest “straight” review for all those travelers that may be turned away by the concept rather than the actuality.

So in reflection, another one of Life's lesson learned. There is no longer a reason to hide it for fear of what others may think. It's okay to be straight. The good people - the only ones that really matter - will accept you for who you are and not judge you by your orientation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank PaulBRaleighNC

Dear Ollielolly,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the services provided, location and design of the hotel. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon!

Warmest regards

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I booked this hotel through one of the hotel websites using hotels combined for our honeymoon so we received a great deal compared to what some people would normally pay for a room. However the description on the booking websites did not state this was a straight friendly hotel meaning yes, i was the minority. Despite this the hotel was great and probably had a ultra sleek design and relaxed facilities.

We didnt get much noise probably due to the positioning of room but we found the room comfortable and clean. The hotel had a few events that we managed to have a glimpse into but not attend and it looked quite fun. The ones close to my room finished many hours before our bed time (yes we sleep early)

The staff were really nice.

The communal areas were relaxing and open.

The hotel is really close to time square.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MiamiBeachFrank,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay at the OUT NYC. We’re thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. I will be sharing your comments with the OUT Team, and giving a special kudos to Karen! It’s great to read reviews such as yours and we can’t wait to welcome you back to the resort soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Obviously, we were WOWED by The Out, NYC.
First, the room was extremely comfortable and of excellent size.
Second, the service was unbelievable...everyone greets you. with a smile, is eager to
help and is prompt in delivery. Although all staff deserve commendation, I must
mention Karen in reception as providing awesome service and going way out of
her way to help me with my own ipad and iphone issues one morning.
Third, the location is excellent, especially if one is going to Broadway shows. One
can even do a comfortable walk to Central Park or Chelsea, for example.
Fourth, the public areas are wonderful. We found guests and visitors to be
exceptionally friendly, most of whom seemed to be gay...but not all.
Fifth, the hotel's restaurant offers excellent cuisine and choices. We dined twice
in Ktchn twice and were very pleased with our dishes.
The Out, NYC will definitely be our NY hotel choice in all future trips.

Dear didou75Paris,

Thank you for the post! It’s great to hear that you were able to take full advantage of the resort and amenities we have to offer. We can’t wait to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very friendly welcome, nice and quiet room (on the courtyard), fantastic spa, free wifi. Close to Time Square.Nice place for breakfast (and dinner) on the street
Close to the hotel, a good restaurant too: 44 & X Hell's kitchen( 622tenth avenue/ 44 st.).

Room Tip: on the courtyard

DearLegoDC1991,

It was a pleasure having you as our guest! It’s great to hear that your night was perfect and that you enjoyed yourself in XL.

Until next time,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Came for the RuPaul's Drag Race season 5 finale party at Xl Nightclub. Everything was so perfect the night of my stay.The quad area was really nice. It is a place where people can relax. The bathroom was really nice. I wish the shower had a door. Some of the water got on the floor. Free wi-fi. The location of the hotel was really perfect: it was next to CVS (in case any needs come up), the club was next to it. The lobby is also really pretty and artsy. The KTCHN restaurant looks really nice. I have not personally tried the food there yet because it looks expensive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MelOnWheels,

Thanks for the post! We really enjoyed having you as our guest, and we can’t wait to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!