“Great "new" experience in NYC!”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Los Angeles
“Great "new" experience in NYC!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

You know the drill....hotel has restaurant, lobby, decent rooms, smiling faces, little bath amenities, end of story. This is repeated in cities from New York to Seattle, but when you are at The Out, the world of hotels suddenly becomes more unique. Having been to New York at least 30 times over the years, and having stayed in all types of hotels from the St. Regis to the Empire, I suddenly had an idea to try something truly "different." Not knowing how the Out might turn out, I reserved a room for the weekend, with a backup plan to move to a large hotel in Times Square on Monday. When I arrived on Saturday night I was warmly greeted by the guest reception agent, and the doorman, Calvin. The original room assigned was not correct as I had specified the executive king room, and when I explained the situation, Calvin immediately took charge and escorted me to my new room. He explained the room and all of the unique features, and gave me a chance to ask questions as well. I then asked him about the Sunday brunch as my local friends asked me to make reservations for the drag queen brunch. Calvin then offered to escort me directly to the restaurant where he introduced me to the staff, and requested that they make my reservations. Everyone in the restaurant was so friendly, that by now I was really enjoying my new found friends in the city! Having flown from LA that day, I was hungry so I stayed in the KTCHN restaurant and had a bite. Well, by this time I was "sold" and went directly to the front desk to inquire about staying until Thursday, as I had business in the city. It was confirmed I could stay, so I was excited about my new adventure. Throughout my stay I never encountered one person who was less than passionate about representing such a cool hotel. Yes, the prior reviews have covered the rooms, the fact that some are loud, the open courtyards, the spa, etc....The energy though is difficult to explain. Hugo has been mentioned in other reviews, and I can tell you, he's really amazing at making sure everyone is having a great stay. I couldn't stay in the executive king (which I loved!) past my original reservation, so he offered the one bedroom suite at a rate that my company would be happy with. I was just thrilled that I could stay! On Sunday my friends went to brunch with me, and I'm telling you, "The Haus of Mimosa" girls are not to be missed! We stayed for hours. Then I noticed that the hotel was sponsoring a cocktail party for guests in the spa atrium with a DJ, bar, and a large turnout of guests. Who does that? I could go on and on, but I think at the end of the day, everyone who is craving a new experience in the city owes it to themselves to check it out. I will certainly be back!!

Room Tip: Be specific at the desk about the type of room you are looking for. Rooms are all on the second and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David52555
Keith F, Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. You are very kind and your review made us all feel as though we accomplished what our mission is - to exceed guest’s expectations. Thank you for mentioning the service that our staff provided as well as your experience at our restaurant KTCHN and The Haus of Mimosa brunch on Sundays which is very popular. The cocktail party in the Spa Atrium is one of our latest additions, ParaDisco, that takes place every Sunday from 3p – 8pm. Once again, it was great meeting you and we look forward to seeing you again when you return to NYC!

Kind regards,
Keith Frey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Heathrow
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed at the Out in December for five nights.

I don't tend to visit a hotel twice as I prefer to try new ones each time I visit NYC.

The out would now be my number one choice when I return. The service was good team friendly and left you to relax and get on with your stay unless you needed them and then the service was very genuine.

We used the bar and ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner which had a good solid menu catering for most tastes.

Yes it a "gay" hotel but the client mix was varied and everyone was chilled out and relaxed perhaps mirroring the property and the team.

The place comes alive at night and the courtyards are well used and the area with the jacuzzi was very busy. Couple of lounges in the hotel if you want to chilling.

Rooms are well designed and oversized bathrooms and massive products await.

Really enjoyed returning to the hotel and the area itself has plenty of choice for restaurants.

I really hope this hotel succeeds as to take this brand global would be good for us all !

Room Tip: Make sure you get a quiet room away from the club and the lift.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith F, Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! It is truly appreciated. The fact that you are returning means we did a good job the first time and it the best compliment you can give us! I am pleased that you not only enjoyed the resort’s amenities but the restaurant KTCHN as well. We appreciate the best wishes as a brand moving forward and can’t wait to welcome you back!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We're not clubbers by any means but on our first trip back to New York after relocating away from Brooklyn for my dream job, we decided to give The Out a try. And were we glad we did. For a New York hotel, the rooms were very large and although some have complained about the noise, it was not any noisier than our 24th floor hi-rise. We got a little vibration and we could hear the ferry and the police, just as you would expect from New York. The service was excellent and the decor and atmosphere was W in effect, but while W has often chosen a mishmash of IKEA as its design motif, The Out used a local artist for the time we were there to provide the showpiece for the lobby and the rooms were tastefully done. Food was good. And it has one of the best NY clubs next door and a decent restaurant too. Great value.

Keith F, Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It is truly appreciated. Congratulations on your dream job and it was our pleasure to welcome you back to NYC! We are also glad that you decided to give us a try. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future, as your home-away-from-home.

Kind regards,
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Excellent rooms, very comfy beds and huge showers! Excellent staff- very friendly and helpful. Ideal location especially if your gay since many restaurants, bars and clubs are within walking distance to the hotel. The hotel also features the idea environment to spend with your date or if your single to mingle with other fellow gay people. The Out provides a true "gay-friendly" environment that no other hotel in the city could offer.

Keith F, Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing such wonderful comments! I am pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. There are a lot of previous guests that would agree that the beds are extremely comfortable and the size of the bathrooms are a huge hit. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A very nice modern hotel with great accomodations. The Deluxe room is a spacious rooms with an excellent bed and all the features you want. Everything is very clean. The second time I was there for almost a week. I will be back soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I really wanted to like The Out. It's a modern, clean hotel in a hip and convenient location. Unfortunately my experience was terrible. I had read several complaints about noise from the club below, so I contacted the manager before booking (he regularly posts his email address on Trip Advisor when people complain about the noise, suggesting that guests contact him in advance with their room preferences). I explained the dates I would be visiting and that I was ONLY interested in booking if they could assure me a quiet room. One of the staff responded and indicated that would be no problem. I booked the room, and then sent a follow-up email. I received confirmation that I would be placed in a quiet room. When I arrived at the hotel I confirmed with the front desk that I had requested a quiet room. The front desk person acknowledged this and checked me in to room 220.

So, I had three confirmations from the hotel that I was in a quiet room. I guess by now you can guess what happened. I stayed Thursday through Tuesday. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights were all horrible. I wore earplugs but could still hear the bass and feel the vibrations. I wore my noise-canceling headphones but could still feel the vibrations. On Sunday night, I moved the lamp on my desk on to the floor, because it was bouncing against the desk. I spent every day dreary-eyed and guzzling coffee.

On Monday morning, I emailed both the manager and the staff member who had helped me via email earlier. I received no response. At checkout, the front desk person asked how my stay was. I told him that actually it was terribly noisy. He said "Yeah, that's why they call it the city that never sleeps". I think that really sums up how this hotel feels about guest satisfaction.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
11 Thank TerryP999
Keith F, Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
We wanted to thank you for writing and sharing your concerns, as it is important to us in evaluating the guest experience and making the corrections where needed. I apologize sincerely for the inconvenience caused during your stay. I wanted to assure you that we do have rooms away from the nightclub and regret the breakdown in communication in your attempt to secure once of these rooms. I have spoken with my management team and have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again. I believe you’ve also received our email in response to yours. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make your next stay a memorable one and look forward to you contacting us directly with future bookings so we can accomodate you.

Boston
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The bed was extremely comfortable, but the pounding bass emanating from XL nightclub contnued until after 4 am Plus the fire alarm that went off at 2 am didn't help A little too sleek and modern for me. Also, no windows to the outside world, window faced onto inside courtyard

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank CubbyBoston
Keith F, Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for writing, as it is important that we know what went wrong as well as what went right. I want to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the music level from the nightclub. We are currently working on a plan to correct this issue which affects few rooms in the resort. Having said that, I wanted you to know that we do have rooms that both are away from the nightclub and also face 42nd Street and 41st street, not only the courtyards. I would like for you to contact me directly so we can hopefully make arrangements to have you stay with us again and allow us to make your stay an exceptional one.