“My family was saved by Out NYC Hotel after the Hurricane.”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Ranked #236 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“My family was saved by Out NYC Hotel after the Hurricane.”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

When we lost power in our home in NJ during Hurricane Sandy, we luckily found a room at Out NYC. My girls my wife and I got the bunk beds. Great room, great service!

The staff was great, restaurant breakfast was good, and the location on 42nd was perfect.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Displaced from my Manhattan apartment for 9 days thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I found myself seeking temporary lodging at The Out NYC. The entire staff of the hotel couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. They were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help me with the inconveniences I was dealing with as a result of being out of my own home. They even upgraded me to a beautiful suite when they saw that I was not able to return home the night I was expecting to. Hugo, Calvin and Bo at the front desk are superior customer service professionals. Marvita, Ryan and Mike are amazing hosts in KTCHN, which became my substitute dining room for a few nights. Their hospitality helped deflect the sad feelings of not being in my own home. This is a comfy hotel, with every amenity, a cool-kitschy vibe and a staff that was friendlier and and more helpful than any 5 star hotel I've ever stayed in.

Kailua-Kona
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The term urban resort is right on! Besides a great room with luxurious bedding & great bath amenities there is a nightclub, great restaurant with excellent service and food as well as a spa and even outdoor spaces!

Would stay here again without question.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott D
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was in town working New York Comic Con & booked for a handful of people of different genders & orientation. We were overly impressed by how helpful the staff was everyday & extremely friendly. Hotel is very funky, modern & clean. We had several friends from the convention swing by & they ALL were jealous & said they wanted to book here for next time.
I have already spread the word about this fabulous place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
NY
Reviewed November 14, 2012

If any casual observers were unsure of whether they had been transported to Oz, the Madonna/Lady Gaga mash-up being performed by a pair of drag queens in the adjoining restaurant, and spilling into the lobby, was indication enough as to the orientation of The Out hotel. Billed as a "straight-friendly" establishment, The Out may market itself as a predominantly gay hotel, but the truth is that the clientele I encountered were overwhelmingly a broad, multi-cultural swath of people just looking for a decent hotel, and having a blast with what they found at The Out.

The lobby is outfitted in neutral shades of gray, softened by clean-lined chenille couches and a cozy rug. Mirrors accented by a spattering of frosted bird silhouettes visually expand the space, while a large bank of windows lets in light, and a view of the non-descript parade of vehicles on this portion of W. 42nd Street. A pair of chairs in the form of giant drama masks frames the window, lending a whimsical theatrical air to the entrance. Check in is at 4 PM, and on the Sunday I arrived that meant 4 PM, not an hour or minute sooner.

Unlike some New York hotels, this is much more than just a simple place to rest - there are several "play" areas, especially if the weather is nice, as most are open to the elements in courtyard fashion, surrounded by rooms and curtains. An expansive sitting green features colorful chairs and bean bag lounges, while a bamboo enclosed area features a long central table and a few dozen chairs. By November, the action moves inside, to a bright atrium where two jacuzzis welcome guests amid another tropical seating area. Given this, the hotel has more of a chic Miami vibe than a cold New York feel, and in many ways it works as an oasis in the middle of Times Square. An elegant spa is on site as well, with a steam room, sauna, and showers on hand for every imaginable form of relaxation (including massage and other pampering available for those in the lucky position to splurge). Well-maintained and fully stocked with fluffy towels and attendants readily available, it is a luxurious treat.

My room was quite substantial, especially by New York standards. By all rights, the dark curtains and dark carpet should have been too dim, but the light filtering in through the stand of black bamboo outside the window, coupled with an ample arsenal of additional illumination (both overhead and task-oriented) insured that the space could be made as bright as anyone could want, staving off all chances at gloominess. (The pair of glowing bedside tables made clever double-use of their purpose.) An immense king-size bed decked out minimally in simple white linens and backed by a ceiling-height mirror takes center stage, and rightfully so - this is one of the most comfortable beds in which I've slept in quite some time, as if created specifically to cradle those with difficulty dozing and dreaming.

Though I didn't get the opportunity to try out the restaurant (KTCHN) or the night-club (XL) both looked like a lot of fun. Along with the spa and the expansive outside areas, this is the rare set-up of a New York hotel that offers anything one could want right on the premises. That alone would make it worthy of a visit, but it's the welcoming staff that really sets it apart from others, honoring the guest experience and offering good old-fashioned top-notch support. Each and every guest is treated as if they are the number one priority, (and Hugo at the front desk has certainly earned his reputation as host with the most). Far from giving off an 'exclusive' air, The Out includes everyone in its welcoming way with the world, setting a stylish stage and backing it all up with impeccable service.

1 Thank Alan I
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

A couple of weeks ago when the hurricane hit New York I voluntarily evacuated my Chelsea apartment and headed to The Out NYC where I’d had a great dinner the week before. Like everyone else who experienced this storm, my nerves were shot. But as soon as I got to the hotel, I calmed down. Apart from being chic and sophisticated, which the hotel certainly is - the staff at The Out NYC is hands-down amazing. I have never felt so well cared for by hotel staff - not in an obsequious, overdone or scraping way, but in a friendly, straightforward, and genuinely solicitous way. My room was perfect, the gym/spa amenities great, and the restaurant, KITCHN, where I had been before, again served a superb dinner. I’m a New Yorker who by living here, and because of my career, I get to see many amazing places around town. This time I got to experience one from start to finish. I think I have pretty high standards. Bottom line, this experience, and this hotel, completely raised the bar. Tom Cooper, The Corcoran Group.

San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Last month I was looking for a hotel very near to the Javits Convention Center because I have to came to the city for business twice a year and I want something near of everything!! When we arrived to the hotel all the staff was very nice to us from the beginning. Specially his general manager Hugo Yanes, this guy was excellent !! he was on top of every detail that my husband and I need. If you need something just ask for him, he would take care of. We arrived @ 8pm and everything runs fast and easy. When we went to the room everything was perfect, clean and comfy and very trendy, also the room was big and the bathroom too. Something very difficult to find in a good rate in NY. The bar/restaurant in the lobby KTCHN have a great atmosphere and the food was delicious. I think finally I find the hotel that I can consider my second home for my business week in the City. See you on March :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business