“Amazing staff and environment”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Ranked #253 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had a great time during my stay in NYC. The staff are so kind and goes the extra mile to ensure you are satisfied. I wold like to thank Owen, hes is just amazing and delivers exceptional services. Crystal is also such a sweet heart. I hope I can go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Out NYC

Reviewed October 31, 2012

A stilish, sleek, but fairly priced hotel in Hell's Kitchen. Very nice bar and restaurant. A good choice for any adult traveller (it's certainly not the place where you would go with a toddler) willing to visit NYC, being based Midtown. If you're gay, however, it's no doubt the place to stay in New York. The hotel defines itself as "straight friendly", which means they welcome heterosexuals as kindly as gay people are welcome at "gay friendly" hotels. If you're gay, at the Out you feel the sense of your community and you feel at home. I was there while hurricane Sandy was blowing over NY and I could not have found a better place to stay in such a difficult time, when everyone had to be basically confined indoor. In spite of the challenging circumstances the staff was working hard to make all the guests feel as it was "business as usual" and it was not just a stranger place in which to shelter from the storm.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

First time staying at this hotel reviewed by the New York Times. The room is modern with clean lines. The bed has ultra soft triple sheeting, which Marriott reserves for VIP guests only. Toiletries include glycerin aromatherapy soaps and shampoos. The spa has two separate hot tubs, steam and dry sauna. Gym is equipped for full work out routine. Location is walking distance to Broadway theaters. The staff is an example of true team work. Smiles are genuine, attention to detail is the norm, the front desk supervisor -Hugo- went out of his way to ensure a memorable stay. The guests are a mix of young couples and all type of artists. It is a place to absorb all its youthful energy and share.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Wow, I took a tour in September and stayed for 2 nights last week. Everything form the check in through the check out process was amazing! Hugo Yanes is one of the managers and took it personally to assist with my booking after the tour as well as educate me on the events and asisst with tickets to the show in XL last week. The tix were not free, but his support and getting us through the line was great. The room was comfortable and a great sleep. The cleaning staff were pleasant and through. My issue was crappy weather and not enjoying the outside common areas.If you have a chance, Sava Cebeci gave an amazing 90 minute deep tissue massage. All in all, I am glad I moved from Yotel to Out on this last trip and will continue to do so moving forward!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Keith F, Guest Relations Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Bill H,

We are so pleased you enjoyed every part of your stay with us. It looks like you got your stay on the right start with a tour from Hugo - who is no stranger to going above and beyond!
We thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly with any requests you may have for your next stay. We would be happy to make arrangements for another massage with Savas.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at The OUT NYC for 5 nights and couldn't have been happier. The staff at the hotel was extremely courteous and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We arrived just before check in (4PM) and our room wasn't ready yet so we decided to take a quick stroll to nearby Times Square. When we arrived back, Crystal greeted with with 2 glasses of champagne and took us to our room! She also helped us with restaurant tips several evenings and delivered chocolate covered strawberries on our second night! The rooms were fantastic, very modern and clean and a bargain compared to other places in the city. The bed was super comfortable and the organic shampoo and body wash was a nice added touch. The hotel has several courtyards, one filled with bean bag chairs for relaxing in the afternoon sun. The hotel is in a great location, Hell's Kitchen, walking distance to Times Square and the subway. There is a restaurant in the hotel, KTCHN. We had breakfast and dinner there once. The food is excellent, quick service, and a great wait staff.
Next time we are in the City, we will definitely be staying at The OUT NYC!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear straley3,

Thank you for your OUTstanding review! I am happy to know you were able to experience all that THE OUT NYC has to offer. A new added touch for you to enjoy during your next stay is our Spa. We now have men’s manicures and haircuts, facials, Microdermabrasion, body scrubs and more we’re sure you would enjoy.
Chrystal and the rest of our team looks forward to welcoming you back next time!

Best regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Out NYC is a centrally located modern oasis on 42 ST. The hotel has a great sense of space in the crowded heart of the city. The rooms are nicely done with comfortable beds, great bathrooms in grey, black and white. The hotel has all the right amenities: gym, restaurant, bar, outside lounge areas, free wifi, and friendly, service oriented, staff. Calvin was a particularly helpful, and handsome young man, a fine example of all the staff we encountered. There is a large club, XL, attached to the hotel, and it is a great place to dance the night away. Though the bass from the club can be felt in the room, there are earplugs provided for those who are particularly light sleepers. (Personally, it helped lull me to sleep.) For the gay and gay friendly travelers, this is THE place. A word of advice. This is the city that never sleeps, don't yawn in public, locals frown upon it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Byzzblarin,

Thank you for your 5 stars! We are happy to read you had a wonderful stay and appreciate your recommendation to others. Because of your review, Calvin and the rest of the team have all been acknowledged for your glowing comments.
On behalf of our entire staff, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly to book your next stay with us!

Best regards,

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I try to stay at the OUT every time I visit manhattan. Billed as the first straight friendly gay hotel, I found the clientele incredibly diverse. There were most certainly straight friendly gays and gay friendly straights populating the hotel. I have be one such a fan, I actually put up my parents in the hotel during their weekend visit and they absolutely loved the hotel, the amenities and the super staff.
Having stayed in my share of hotels throughout the city, I have to say that The OUT tops my list of choices and here is why:
The staff is professional and courteous. I actually needed help with a button on the back of my dress at the neck that I had struggled an hour with. Going downstairs, I asked the concierge on duty for the unique request of helping me button the back of my shirt and he kindly obliged me. This is the kind of staff that will step out of their way to assist wherever they can, and that type of service is rare these days.
The hotel is stupendously clean. If I hadn't thought the better of it I'd swear Mary Poppins herself floated down from the theaters just 5 minutes from the hotel to scrub it to a sparkle. The spas were spotless, the hottubs were gleaming.
Accessibility to everything new York has to offer seems just off the doorstep of the OUT. The aforementioned theater district is a short walk down 42nd, and just a few steps more is the iconic Times Square in all of its neon glory. To the south just a short distance is the fashion district where you can find a lot of incredible boutiques and bargains! Now, 42nd street, where the OUT is located has it's own place in New York City history as well as cinematic history, but a dance down 10th avenue to 34th street you can find the spot where Miracles Happened... And Macys!
The location, while being central to so many experiences from theater and dining to clubbing sight seeing, The OUT is just outside the peripheral of the chaotic tourist destinations, so you don't have to fight your way through thick crowds to get to the door. It's in a very comfortable space that provides easy passage to exciting destinations without making you sacrifice personal space.
Safety! I know that in my experiences in different cities, the safety of my hotel and the area and always been vital. The OUT certainly is safe, and so is the neighborhood. There is a police station a few doors down which probably helps in discouraging any antics. The hotel also has security that checks that every individual approaching the doors belongs there once it gets dark. Me and my family appreciated that since many hotels just let people wander about.
The amenities: much more than your average hotel! I had a delightful soak in one of the two hottubs located in a luxurious courtyard with an open roof. It was magnificent to sink in and feel the cool summer breezes at the same time.
There are also two sauna, one with traditional steam, and one with a wood burner, so you get the benefit of sweating (?) while enjoying a woodsy aroma. I actually tried both since it was the first time I have been in a sauna.
They also have a really well outfitted gym and a couple other outdoor courtyards to relax, socialize or have a nice afternoon siesta.
There is also a restaurant on the main floor that serves an incredible breakfast, but at a hefty price. KTCHN is an upscale place that you'd expect to pay more than you want to for something you chew and swallow, but the food is delicious nonetheless. However, if you're like me and enjoy a nice, quality less expensive meal, I highly suggest visiting the MARKET DINER (open 24 hours, will serve breakfast all day and they will deliver!) just around the corner on 11th and 43rd. Takes 5 minutes to get there on foot, Theyhave an extensive (and cost efficient) menu and the staff is great. I sat three booths behind Darryl Strawberry and Charles Barkley on a recent visit.
The OUT is a 4 star hotel that offers a 5 star experience. My one complaint is availability! The hotel, which just opened its doors last year, is in incredible demand and I often can't book too many consecutive nights without hitting a date where they're already fully committed. One luxury the do offer for economically diverse travelers is their quad rooms, wherein you share a dormitory like room with 3 others for a much cheaper price and still enjoy all of the Hotels features. It's a great option for those coming in for a short stay or just being frugal.
I could totally live at the OUT. Or at least steal one of their magnificently comfortable beds. The beds there have to be the most sleep satisfying I've ever had the privilege of snoozing on. Wether you're on vacation or there for work, you won't regret choosing this hotel during your stay in New York City. The neighborhood may be called Hells Kitchen, but the experience The OUT offers is positively heavenly.

Room Tip: N320! Faces broadway with a big window!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Phaylen F,

What a wonderful review! We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback for fellow travelers. Your wonderful comments of our staff, service, décor and amenities are so flattering and very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back time and time again.

Most sincerely,