“"Boom Boom Boom lets go back to my room......"”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Ranked #270 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 9, 2012

OK that was a 1980's song but the Out NYC reminds me of that dance song because of the very loud "boom boom boom" from the dance club adjacent to the hotel. While the design is a visual success, the operational and functionality lacks. The second floor rooms all open out onto a very lovely courtyard, lovely that is unless it is filled to the brim with people who are reveling at a private event/party in that space. Then you are faced with feeling like a party crasher to gain access to your room. This design creates even more direct noise to cope with directly outside your front door. Oh and don't forget to keep the blinds closed otherwise you might scare all those event goers as you step out of the shower and lounge around naked on the bed. OK you just have to have a high degree of noise tolerance and love to stay up past 3 am to get some sleep here due to the noise vibrating through the building through the wee hours of the morning.

Room Tip: A good room ? I have no idea how to overcome the noise level that a dance club generates in this hot...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Travelnguyusa

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and myself went on the spur of the moment to NYC, in June 2012 (for the first time) after scoring a cheap airline deal and, therefore, did not have a chance to book a hotel, except for the first night, as we had to leave within a day and a half. We had no idea where to start looking for accommodation so the next morning we got on the net and found this fabulous place, which is centrally located to a lot of venues of interest - the BEST thing that could have ever happened to us! The owner and the fabulous staff were just so lovely and kind and we cannot wait to go back, one day! The room and bathroom was just perfect, and very clean, and since I am in a wheelchair, they made sure that we got a lovely big room/bathroom to accommodate our luggage and the wheelie. Their guidance as to what to do, where to go etc etc., was very informative and their help and kindness went well 'beyond the call of duty' for which we are extremely appreciative as we really had no idea where to start or what to do - being in a new country/city and having the added burden of being in a wheelchair, this info/help was very welcome. Each and every staff member that we came in contact with (and there were many) were just sooooooooo lovely and so very kind and helpful, no matter what we asked of them. Wi-Fi was included in the price of the room which was great for us to keep in touch with our family/friends back home. The large TV was great, the towels/bathrobes supplied were fabulous and the accessories such as soap, shampoo, conditioner and body cream were of the best quality and presented very well. The added amenities of the Spa/Sauna and courtyards surrounding were very peaceful and relaxing.
If anyone is travelling to NYC, do yourself a favour and stay at THE OUT - it caters for any and every one in all walks of life (no matter who you are) and I am sure you won't regret it. I did notice a comment about the NightClub being noisy and I won't deny this, but it did not worry us in the least - in actual fact THE OUT supplies ear-plugs which are already on your bed, in the room, to help block out unwanted sound. At the time we went they were just finishing the Restaurant downstairs so we regrettably missed out on its opening, but from all we have heard it is also terrific....can't wait to go back to use this facility too.
Everything about THE OUT Urban Resort, NYC was just fabulous and we strongly recommend anyone visiting New York to stay there - you won't regret this incredible experience particularly as everything of interest is within walking distance or even a short cab ride to things a little further. We have extensively travelled the world, but have never ever come across anything like this Resort - you are the BEST, guys!
Thanks to everyone at THE OUT, NYC - we miss you all heaps and cannot wait to return one day to indulge ourselves at your awesome Resort! You, all, will never ever be forgotten!
Marietta (and Richard) McMullen.

Room Tip: Everything about this place is awesome, but if you have a specific need OR do not want to be too clo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith F, Guest Relations Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Hi there MariettaMcM,

We are so pleased to see your resounding review of THE OUT NYC! It is truly our goal to reach beyond our guests' expectations, and deliver the very buest in customer service.

Additionally, as New York's first straight-friendly resort, we want to be able to welcome all walks of life, and make anyone and everyone feel comfortable staying with us.

We hope that you and your husband are able to stay with us again on all future trips to the Big Apple!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We loved every minute of our 4 night stay at OUT! Spacious and clean rooms, stunning outdoor spaces, perfectly located, reasonably priced and a kind and courteous staff that aren't hard on the eyes. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam J

Hi Adam J,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at THE OUT NYC! We are so pleased to hear we were able to meet your expectations.

Furthermore, we look forward to hosting you during future stays to NYC!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel is really nice and you gotta love the indoor/rooftop courtyards.

But the nightclub is a real problem. For one, the noise level is brutal, depending on where you are in the hotel. And the security staff for the club (they are not part of the hotel staff) is extremely rude, offensive, and clearly homophobic.

Having that said, the steam room and the hot tub are beautiful, clean, and real fun.

Room Tip: You need to reserve the top floor, if you'd like to be able to sleep at all.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheTravelinWilbury
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was a guest at the OUT NYC to attend a wedding at the hotel and must say it was an incredible experience. The place looks brand new with modern decor throughout; and is impeccably clean. The rooms are well furnished and tastefully decorated, and have the most comfortable beds imaginable. There is an upscale restaurant and bar located in the hotel; both top notch. The hotel includes a modern spa and several “commons” areas both inside and outside to visit with friends and guests. It’s centrally located and is an easy walk to Hells Kitchen, Times Square, the Subway system, Harbor Tours, and Central Park, just to name a few. As to the wedding I attended; the hotel did an outstanding job hosting the event; including a spectacular atmosphere in the outdoor Bamboo Garden, savory hors d'oeuvres, and a delicious sit down dinner. Be that as it may, the BEST part about OUT NYC is the professional, friendly courteous staff who make you feel most welcome; and they go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. Thank you OUT NYC for making my stay in New York a wonderfully memorable experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Donald H,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying wtih us at THE OUT NYC. I hope you had the most enjoyable experience attending the wedding here- and look forward to hosting you for future visits you may make to NYC.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel has a great layout and the staff is very friendly. The only downside is there is a nightclub that is on the first floor (there are only three floors). The club is a heavy techno club that stays open until 4.00am. Believe me when I say you will hear the music and feel the base!!!! We were there on vacation, so we were staying up late - but you really can't fall sound asleep until after 4.00am. I won't be staying here again - unless the club is closed!

Room Tip: Bring sleeping pills!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Stldb00
Reviewed September 2, 2012

To read the full review with pictures on my blog: Visit: http://blog.nickmay.ca/the-out-nyc/
I spent three years of my life living in New York City. When I go back to the city for a visit it’s pretty easy to find cheap lodgings or couch surf with old friends but my partner and I wanted to spoil ourselves on our most recent vacation. When we heard rumblings of a new gay (straight friendly) hotel in Hells Kitchen, we knew that we had to explore this option.

We arrived at THE OUT NYC on Thursday afternoon. Checkin isn’t until 4pm but they took our bags while we explored the neighbourhood. When we arrived back for checkin we were greeted with glasses of Prosecco by the hotels’ concierge Bo Bradley. Bo was wonderfully accommodating and an absolute pleasure, he was welcoming and willing to do anything possible to make our stay more enjoyable.
Another staff member took us on a tour of the hotel before bringing us to our room. We were stunned at how beautiful the hotel was. They market themselves as an “Urban Resort” and it couldn’t be more true. You are on 42nd street just a few blocks from Times Square yet you feel like you’re in a quiet and comfortable resort. The hotel has three open outdoor spaces: The Great Lawn which has bean bag chairs and tables, The Sun Deck which is perfect for sunning yourself, and the Bamboo Garden which has long tables and is perfect for holding events. The hotel’s amenities also include Jacuzzi’s, a 24 hour gym, a Sauna and a Steam Room. WiFi is free and there are complimentary computers with a printer in the lobby.

When we finally got to our room we were even more impressed. The space was a very decent size in comparison to any other hotel in New York City, especially in the Times Square/Hell’s Kitchen area. The bed was very comfortable and I easily could have stayed in the room all night with the fully stocked minibar.

I’d like to point out that every staff member at THE OUT was wonderful. I truly felt like a valued guest and not just a customer. When I asked a question at the front desk they were always willing to go above and beyond to satisfy me. For instance I approached the front desk and asked if I could book massages for myself and my partner. I believe the person working at the time was named Bronson. He told me that the masseuse was all booked for the day. Upon seeing my disappointment he personally walked me to the spa area and requested that the masseuse stay later that day to fit us in. The Massage Therapist was happy to accomodate us.
On that note, the hotel’s Lead Massage Therapist is named Savas. Neither myself or my partner had ever had a professional massage before and we were a bit nervous. Savas was an absoute dream, keeping us at ease the entire time he completely relaxed all of the muscles in my body. He uses a variety of techniques including hot and cold towels, stretching and aromatic oils. Savas made our stay at the OUT NYC even more pleasurable than it already was.
The hotel carries its own line of beauty products. The room comes fully stocked with Body Wash, Shampoo, Face Wash, and Lotion. The Rosemary Cedarwood Peppermint lotion was definitely my favourite. If you choose to take any of the products home (because they’re amazing products) they can be charged to your room based on the rate card provided. We would have taken some but unfortunately woke up late for checkout and forgot

The hotel’s restaurant is called KTCHN and was designed by Hell’s Kitchen’s EATERY. They offer upscale American Comfort food which can be enjoyed in the restaurant itself, as a room service order, or you can use any of the phones located in the hotel and have the food delivered to one of their outdoor areas. We personally enjoyed “Sexy Fries” and the “Crispy Quinoa Cubes” while laying out on the Great Lawn. The cocktails at KTCHN are also phenomenal.

XL Nightclub is a 14,000 square foot club located in the hotel. In the afternoon part of this space is used as a hotel “lobby bar” offering Happy Hour drinks. At night the space is opened up and you can see how big it really is. Although this was a great feature of the hotel it was admittedly also the most disappointing. We found that the bouncers and staff incredibly rude until they found out that we were staying at the hotel. The drinks also seemed to be rather expensive in comparison to other clubs in the same neighbourhood. I digress, we still had a good time despite those two things. The music pumping and the dance floor is huge. This is a great place to dance the night away.

With a name like THE OUT NYC, we were expecting this hotel to be very campy. It wasn’t. The OUT was an upscale boutique hotel that was the perfect urban resort in a big city. Other boutique hotels like The Thompson Toronto could learn a few things from the hospitality offered at this hotel.

Room Tip: Let the concierge know that you'd like a quiet room and they'll probably help you out.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there Nick M,

I hope you are well! We want to take this time to say thank you for sharing your experience at THE OUT NYC here online with our friends at TripAdvisor.

It gives us great pleasure to hear how well accommodated you and your partner were during your stay. Bo is a star at the concierge desk, and Bronson is most notably recognized for his attention to guests' needs, so it comes at no surprise to hear them shine in your review.

We are so glad you also had the opportunity to experience The Spa at THE OUT NYC. Savas is one of the city's best massage therapist who consistently receives resounding reviews from our guests.

We apologize for your experience with XL and can assure you will not experience the same service during future stays with us at THE OUT NYC!

All the best, and we look forward to hosting you on your next trip to NYC!