“Sad location and bad rooms”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Stockholm, Sweden
“Sad location and bad rooms”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We wanted to try something uptown and went for this "new" hotel that we heard about.
However - I would say that this is a motel in a hotel disguise...
The design lacks attention to details and makes it feel low budget...

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back yard - avoid the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrHB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was my boyfriend and I's first visit to NYC together, and without a doubt, the OUT hotel was an outstanding place to stay! At first we didn't know what to expect as the advertising for this hotel seems as if it is targeted towards a strictly gay demographic. However, we were quick to notice that there were many different couples, friends and families who were staying here.

We were pleased to see that the staff was quite welcoming and accommodated our every need. The look of the hotel was very modern and extremely clean throughout. As you walk in to the hotel, you are greeted with the friendly staff and a hallway of art portraits along the walls. Attached is a bar restaurant and a club next door. I was worried that the noise from the music from the club would disturb our sleep, but being on the South side of the hotel, we weren't bothered at all... Plus, the hotel offers earplugs for those who can't sleep through it.

The room was great, perfect size for me and my boyfriend. It had a full minibar, desk, big screen TV, speedy WiFi, telephone with an iPod attachment that was able to charge our phones and play our music, and a three piece bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable- I wasn't able to get out of it each morning! The hotel itself had two iMac computers for guests to use, a big study room, two jacuzzis, a place inside the hotel with an open roof and a great gym.

Downfalls:
The shower did not have a door to it, so occasionally, our floors outside of the shower were a bit wet. Also, although we had our bed sheets changed everyday during our stay, we kept noticing several marks on the sheets- juice spills, and a couple drops of old blood. Some would probably have complained, but we ended up just turning over the pillows or using the others. No big deal. I'm sure that if we had called to the front desk, they would have had it changed for us immediately. My boyfriend and I planned to drink alcohol during our stay, so every night we bought some beers and wine from the nearby 7/11 or CVC/Pharmacy. However, in order to get ice for our drinks, we'd have to call down to the front desk and ask someone to bring us up a tub. We felt bad that we had to keep calling down, I'm sure everyone would have benefitted if there was an Ice Maker available to all guests.

Location:
The location of the hotel was awesome. Just about a 10 minute walk from Times Square! Also, there is a CVS/Pharmacy right on the corner of the street the hotel is located on. There's also a nearby 7/11 and places to eat that were open late.

I will definitely come back to stay the next time I'm in NYC!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side were definitely quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
washington dc
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel is very nice, the rooms are furnished well, comfortable beds, free wi fi, quality linens and towels. The neighborhood is very safe as NYPD is right next door. The Staff is outstanding - very very helpful. Assisted me in getting my computer connected to their wifi, arranged for me to check in a bit early so I could change to go to a meeting. Always greeted me with a smile. The hotel has access directly to a restaurant and limited access to the club for hotel guests prior to 10 pm. The hotel also has computers in the lobby for guests to use.
This is a full servie hotel! I highly recommend it and I am travel extensively for business and pleasure.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor -North side and it was very quiet-which is what I wanted!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My best friend and i are straight females and although the hotel is advertised and marketed to a completely different demographic, WE both stated, that THIS hotel is a hidden GEM, and plan on making it our new escape. Not only do you feel like you are in L.A and or Miami because just the floor plan is BREATH taking and everything is outside, but everyONE (and i never have been able to say EVERYONE) but every employee is amazing! always happy, smiling, accommodating, they really want you to enjoy your stay.
the rooms are beautiful and its just a NEW hotel experience.

We love the OUT and i can say you will as well

Room Tip: only thing, if your room is facing the street, and you have window open you will hear the traffic, i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here for six nights - July 16 through the 22nd. The Out exceeded my expectations. It is a really unique place -- aside from the modern, slick look of the hotel, courtyards and rooms, it feels wonderful being in a gay hotel where you can just be yourself. The clientele while I was there was largely made up of friendly, gorgeous guys (which I found only slightly intimidating) and a few straight couples, or lesbian couples.. Most people were willing to say hello and engage in conversation. The staff was very helpful and outgoing. When the hail storm killed the internet, the staff was right on it and made sure it was up working by the next day. I met the hotel developer and the director of operations, both of whom were warm and welcoming.

I was delighted and surprised by the complimentary full breakfasts in the Kitchn hotel restaurant. The XL club has activities going on all night long -- usually a show from 8 to 10 PM, and dancing all night long starting at 11. Out guests get $5 off admissions, and get to enter ahead of the line. Here's the wacky part: I really didn't have a desire to step outside the hotel and see the rest of New York City -- there was so much to do between the food, the hotel and the club!

I'm really proud of this place because it is classy, fun, and so different than any hotel (or gay-friendly establishment) that I've been to. Some wondered whether New York City needs a gay hotel, especially after gay marriage has been passed, and yes it does. It is no different than Jewish groups going to the Catskills each summer to share experiences with people of similar backgrounds It's nice to spend time meeting other like people (and people who are friendly to like people) and having a great time. I would go back again and again - I was sad to leave.

Room Tip: Rooms far from the club are quieter. Rooms around the courtyards are easy to see into. Bring a swi...
2 Thank David S
Keith F, Guest Relations Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear David S,

We are so pleased to hear of your fantastic stay with us here at THE OUT NYC. This is certainly a social-epicenter for the LGBT community, its friends, family and allies alike. It is such a pleasure to hear that our goal in providing great service and hospitable accommodations to the community has been met.

We most certainly look forward to hosting your next stay here in NYC.

Best,

Keith Frey
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I really love this hotel. I am a "hotel junkie" (I've thought about creating a website where I review all of the hotels I've stayed at in NYC), but I digress.....

This is a truly special place. I am saying this because of the "gay" aspect of the hotel, but also because it is really different, spacious and not squished together like most Manhattan hotels. The main issues I have with NYC hotels is for $300 you get a teeny tiny room that you can barely move in. Even the "smaller" rooms here are spacious.

The bed is amazing (I'm a real stickler for beds and comfy linens), shower is great (including the organic amenities like facial wash and body wash), everything is new and clean and pristine! I stayed for two nights and also got an unbelieveable deal, too.

The staff is all incredibly friendly and helpful (they even fulfilled my pre-request for a very quiet room). Bronson and Erin at the front desk are especially friendly and very helpful.

I love just walking around this hotel. There are three different "chill out" areas, and all are very different, but great. You can truly be alone at this hotel and not be disturbed, which I love.

My one complaint: the spa. Don't get me wrong, the "wellness area" (as they call it) is beautiful to look at--crisp and clean, and perfect. However, there is only one massage room. No mani/pedi, no facials, etc. I think they really need to add these services to make them a viable competetor to all the other boutique hotels in NYC. I will say, I am a massage junkie, and Savas (the lead massage therapist) is AMAZING. He gives a very different massage, and I seriously considered getting another the next day. If you get a massage with him, do yourself a favor and get a 90 minute session, not 60. He's that good. That being said, adding more services to the spa menu will make a BIG difference to the Wellness Center at The OUT NYC.

Overall, I love love love the OUT, and it is my new home away from home!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room towards the back, off of the street. XL nightclub is in the front of the build...
Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect when getting to the hotel as the pics on the site looked like they were "comics." First of all, the location to the major areas was AMAZING! I stayed in a shared room, which for some might be a problem. For me? it wasn't. I basically had the room to myself for 4 days. The beds were really comfortable and plush. It made me want to sleep in but alas, business meetings called. At the end of the day, all I needed was a bathroom and a bed, so this did the best job, since my social calendar while in the city was pretty busy. The room was on street level, which meant that noise from the street was very common at all hours of the night & early morning. The only downside with these rooms is that there aren't any headphones for the TV or a remote control, but that's neither here nor there.

The gym/sauna/outdoor courtyard were essentials and a nice surprise. They were not busy at all, so, I had my pick of equipment, which made working out that much easier. It's not a big space, but it has everything you need.
Two days into my 5 day stay, I received vouchers for breakfast at the attached restaurant, KTCHN. What a nice surprise!
All in all, this hotel was amazing and I enjoyed my stay. I will def be back and have told friends about it.

Room Tip: if you are going to choose a SLEEP SHARE room, come with 3 other friends so you have the whole room...
1 Thank Ebby A