“Decent food, pleasant interior, terrible service.”
Review of Brabant Belgian Brasserie - CLOSED

Brabant Belgian Brasserie
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 2nd Avenue
Transit: E and M - 53rd Street and Lexington.
Description: Brabant is a perfect setting to enjoy the finest cuisine and beer that Belgium is famous for. As you wash down a hearty bite of Carbonnade Flamande with a dark Belgian beer, like Chimay Blue, dip the last piece of frites de pommes in a special Belgian sauce or indulge in a Brussels-style waffle topped with warm Belgian chocolate and homemade whipped cream, you will be captivated by the passionate and innovative chef Armand Vanderstigchel as you bask in the warmth of Brabant’s charming interior and endearing service.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have visited Brabant three times, one for dinner and two for brunch. While the service provided for our dinner was kind of iffy, our next server was very professional, courteous, friendly and efficient. The last time, however, was a complete disaster. As noted by one of the reviewers, one is expected to do much better in Manhattan. We say it was our worst service experience ever, no exaggeration. First, at 11:30 AM on a Labor Day, we were given dinner menus, and only upon insisting, we managed to get the brunch menu. The items that were supposed to be a part of the brunch menu (a bread basket and Belgian pastries) were never delivered, however, we were charged a full price for the pre-fixe brunch. Our Foursquare discount wasn't honored either. We don't want to dwell on the unpleasant details of the horrendous service rendered by our waitress (a completely lost Serbian girl). As it's well-known in the restaurant business a bad service is capable of ruining the most memorable meal. Unfortunately, Brabant didn't supply the latter either. Usually we are very flexible in our reviews and always try to find advocating points. Not in the case of Brabant. We will never come again.

1  Thank RGSOUNDF

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The answer to the riddle of why this place is empty when the others in the neighbourhood are packed is the clueless service. Three out of five draught beers out of action. A hour and three requests before a plate of fries and four thin slices of cheese arrived. A vodka and tonic with a slice of line took three attempts before the right thing actually arrived. No toilet paper or soap in the ladies bathroom. Not to be repeated.

2  Thank bjbabe
Reviewed July 26, 2013

First off I was surprised by the beer. I drink 2 bottles of beer a year. If I ate at this brasserie twice a week I would drink 106 bottles a year. I never knew beer could taste like a rich food. The restaurant specializes and has more Belgian beer than I thought could be made a one country so small.
The décor, menu and price remind me of a working man's bar or restaurant. It has a comfortable feeling with a big bar and lots of wood. This was not a hustle and bustle place. My friend and I had time to eat talk and relax which is what we were looking for.
My friend had lived in France and spent time in Brussels and said the food was authentic. I enjoyed Mussels in a cream and garlic sauce along with frites which were tasty and the broth was delicious.
I will happily go back when I am in New York again since the price for midtown was very good.

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Ever since the bitterballen experience in Holland a few months ago, friends an I have been on a mission here in NY - this place has it right! Perfect ratio of roux-like goo and meat (sounds gross, but if you like croquettes and have never had bitterballen, try it). Steak frites was great as was the steak tartare. Decadent frites - maybe a wee bit salty, but VERY tasty!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We wanted to try something a little different for brunch so we made a reservation at Brabant. The brunch menu was unique and I tried something a little different. The food was excellent. Where there was a shortcoming, was the service. I had the perception that we were actually bothering the waiter when asking for ketchup, water, etc. They were also quite slow. The beer selection is large and varied with higher quality and harder to find beers. Overall, I recommend.

1  Thank Jandr022