“Beer Mussels and a Friendly Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brabant Belgian Brasserie - CLOSED

Brabant Belgian Brasserie
Cuisines: French, American, Belgian, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 2nd Avenue
Transit: E and M - 53rd Street and Lexington.
Description: Brabant is a perfect setting to enjoy the finest cuisine and beer that Belgium is famous for. As you wash down a hearty bite of Carbonnade Flamande with a dark Belgian beer, like Chimay Blue, dip the last piece of frites de pommes in a special Belgian sauce or indulge in a Brussels-style waffle topped with warm Belgian chocolate and homemade whipped cream, you will be captivated by the passionate and innovative chef Armand Vanderstigchel as you bask in the warmth of Brabant’s charming interior and endearing service.
San Francisco, California
“Beer Mussels and a Friendly Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

First off I was surprised by the beer. I drink 2 bottles of beer a year. If I ate at this brasserie twice a week I would drink 106 bottles a year. I never knew beer could taste like a rich food. The restaurant specializes and has more Belgian beer than I thought could be made a one country so small.
The décor, menu and price remind me of a working man's bar or restaurant. It has a comfortable feeling with a big bar and lots of wood. This was not a hustle and bustle place. My friend and I had time to eat talk and relax which is what we were looking for.
My friend had lived in France and spent time in Brussels and said the food was authentic. I enjoyed Mussels in a cream and garlic sauce along with frites which were tasty and the broth was delicious.
I will happily go back when I am in New York again since the price for midtown was very good.

• Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
“Good steak frites & bitterballen!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Ever since the bitterballen experience in Holland a few months ago, friends an I have been on a mission here in NY - this place has it right! Perfect ratio of roux-like goo and meat (sounds gross, but if you like croquettes and have never had bitterballen, try it). Steak frites was great as was the steak tartare. Decadent frites - maybe a wee bit salty, but VERY tasty!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great Food, Beer Selection, Poor Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We wanted to try something a little different for brunch so we made a reservation at Brabant. The brunch menu was unique and I tried something a little different. The food was excellent. Where there was a shortcoming, was the service. I had the perception that we were actually bothering the waiter when asking for ketchup, water, etc. They were also quite slow. The beer selection is large and varied with higher quality and harder to find beers. Overall, I recommend.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jandr022
Brandon, Florida
“Service was very slow”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went there with group of friends for dinner. Before dinner, we stopped at the bar. The beer selection was great. The drinks were very good but the service was slow. Because of our big group (18 people), we were seated in the back of the restaurant and we have one big table. Besides us, only one table was occupied. The waiter couldn't explain anything on the menu (he said rack of lamb and lamb chops are the same thing but they not). The service was very slow. The waiter took the order for drinks and disappeared for a long time. When we finally got drinks, he disappeared again. Finally he took our orders. When the orders arrived, the waiter looked like he did not know who had ordered what. He mismatches some orders. After dinner, some people ordered coffee and some people ordered dessert. And again. We waited and waited and waited. How long you must wait for coffee? At the time, we were the only guests in the restaurant. In addition, in the end we were waiting for the bills too. Now about the food. The mussels and frites were very good. Everybody liked. Pate platter - was difficult find a pate. The chicken was OK. I ordered the burger. It was the worst burger I ever had. Dinner took us over four hours. I would not recommend this restaurant. We will not go back to it. This is Manhattan; you have to do much better.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KrysiaK
New York City
“Beer Drinkers Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The draft beers are all excellent and there is a wide choice of bottled beer as well. (Each brand of bottled beer has its own glass). The food was exceptional. A simple letter salad with blue cheese dressing was actually a mini head of lettuce cut into quarters. Escargot come, not in the shell, but in a mini puff pastry crust. The special as a mixed seafood "English fish and chips" style - all of the seafood was absolutely fresh and delicious. Higly recommended!

• Visited May 2013