“Down south cooking right in the heart of NYC”

Hill Country Chicken
Ranked #2,446 of 14,593 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I heard about this restaurant on the Travel channel and like many other suggestions the Travel channel has made I keep a list to make sure I visit while in that city. I arrived at Hill Country Chicken early Monday morning and found the place to be very clean and the staff very pleasant. My tastebuds were craving chicken and waffles since the night before so I had to make sure I was there before breakfast was over. The waffles were moist and tasteful and the chicken was crispy but juicy inside. I'm glad I didn't have to go down South to get a taste of down South. I will be sure to try their baked goods the next time I'm in town.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My daughter had a wedding gown fitting nearby so we stopped in on our way back to the PATH train. Wow! I had the pot pie - a kicky chicken stew on a huge biscuit for $6.00-filling and delicious, side of mac and cheese to die for. Daughter had "dark solo coop"-original crispy chicken thigh and drumstick with cheesy mashed potatoes-double yum! Had the pie cups too - pecan and chocolate pudding. Dinner for two under $30 in my grandmother's 50s kitchen!!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Needed to recharge in between 2 of my Wall Street Walks walking tours and I popped in this charming chicken joint. Move over KFC - although I wasn't hungry enough for a full-on fried chicken binge-fest, I DID sample one of their supremely flaky biscuits. An added bonus - they carry Boylan's sodas and I was actually able to snag a DIET root beer! (Hey a girl's gotta be sensible after a buttery biscuit.)

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is not a table cloth establishment but the chicken was crispy and moist and delicious. Cafeteria style ordering, so it is easy to get what you want and lots of it. Pies are worth the trip on their own.
We will be back.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The pie of the day shakes are to die for, the grand mother style chicken, the home made pies, are delicious