“Wonderful and reasonable”
Review of Sushi Yasaka

Sushi Yasaka
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Yasaka is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #689 of 14,026 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: West End and Broadway
Transit: 72 St (1, 2, 3) 79 St (1, 2) 66 St - Lincoln Center (1, 2)
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Sushi can be a mixed bag in NYC. Sometimes it s too expensive for what you get. Sometimes the quality is not what one expects for a big city. And rarely you find that place you would keep going back to, happily and hungrily. Sushi Yasaka served as the place for a gathering of five of us. We ran through a variety of great appetizers, including dumplings, toro tartare, hijike, tempura, etc. all of which was terrific and well paced in presentation. Soups were good but that was expected. The sushi was outstanding--much better than some of the other (unnamed) places at which we have dined in NYC. We had the omakase in order to try the nigiri we had heard and read about. It was a real treat although at $45 it is not bargain food. Other rolls were very nicely put together--delicious and imaginative.

Sushi Yasaka does not have a particularly notable interior--it is a pretty small but workable space. The service was quite good--nicely attentive without being overbearing. Overall, the food is the star and make this a delightful five-star choice. We will happily return.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I went to this place because it was close to the hotel. I do not regret. They have interesting Toro tartar which is served with delicious avocado. Sashimi was food, however the pieces themselves was small (2-3 times less then I got used to in San Francisco).
Small but good selection of sakes.
Tempura it real thing, served with matcha salt to sprinkle and special sauce to deep. I had lobster tail, it was awesome.

Bill was pretty high, but I assume it is OK for Manhattan.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My girl and I ate at Sushi Yasaka before a concert at the Beacon. Started off with a bunch of apps including the organic mushrooms, shumai (steamed), veg. goyza (fried), fried tofu and a soft shell maki. All were good but the standouts were the mushrooms, shumai and tofu. The dashi with the tofu was one of the best I have had. Nothing overly special about the maki and veg. goyza.
For dinner I had the chef's omakase sushi (12 pcs). Maybe my expectations were too high but although good it did not "wow" me. It is more then double the cost of the reg. sushi and I must say I did not think it was worth the extra $$. There was nothing bad about it but I have had sushi elsewhere for that price which had better uni and toro. Two in our group had umi no sachi which was excellent. All the fish was well prepared and extremely fresh. One person in our group had the sushi deluxe which was also very good. She had requested a spicy tuna roll which (for a change) was actually spicy.
Service was excellent.
All in all Sushi Yasaka is a solid choice on the upper west side.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Daughter and I were staying at a hotel nearby and were looking for a great sushi restaurant. Yelp helped me find this one and it was beyond expectations. All of the sushi and the miso soup were some of the best I've eaten (including in Japan) and the price for 2 came to $46, which is very reasonalbe IMHO.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

celebrated my nephew's receiving his medical licence. We splurged and ordered the tasting menu, both 12 and 7 piece versions. Everyone was satisfied and the celebratory mood was supported by the good food and ambience.