“Wonderful Peaceful Oasis of Tea in a Busy City”
Review of Harney & Sons Soho

Harney & Sons Soho
Ranked #1,850 of 13,678 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: SoHo
Neighborhood: SoHo
New York, New York, United States
“Wonderful Peaceful Oasis of Tea in a Busy City”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

With the exception of Harney's in Millerton, this little tea shoppe/Oasis is second to none. Its great to have a place in NYC where you can try high quality teas in a relaxed atmosphere with knowledgeable salespeople available to answer your questions on tea. One of the key features of Harney's is the ability to purchase loose tea samples for tasting at home. Many of the online tea retailers (Adagio is one of my favorite tea vendors and a few of their white and black teas even are a bit better than Harney's at a substantial savings).

Nice Job Harney!

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
Derby, United Kingdom
“One of my favourites in New York”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I re-visited with a friend/colleague after visiting a year ago and loving it. It was much livelier/busier this time around but still fab and chilled out.
It's a big long unit, the vast proportion of which is a retail shop selling pre-pack tea bags and leaves of every possible variety, along with cute tea pots, cups and mugs plus a small selection of teas and linen. There is also a tea counter with teas sold by weight and with free tastings.
The back of the shop has a small tea room - there it's only around 8 tables and there was a bit of a queue whilst we where eating. The tea is great quality and the staff seem very knowledgable and happy to make recommendations. I especially liked the winter white earl grey. We also had scones which where served warm with jam and cream. Very enjoyable and it's a lovely relaxing environment.

New York City, New York
“Cute Shop”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I lived in NY my whole life, and I cant believe I just found this place. Its on a quieter block than the touristy Broadway (which is right near by), and based on my experiences, it seems more laid back and calm. They have a huge (and for the most part, affordable and reasonably priced) variety of teas, and really cute mugs/teapots as well (although those seemed a bit overpriced). The cafe closes early (I think 6 pm), so I wasn't able to check that out, but the place is small and it seems nice. There is free tasting, and I was pleasantly surprised to be given a full cup of tea to taste. The women working there seemed to know their stuff, and were helpful.

However, I was a little disappointed that its only one tasting per person - I think it would be better if you could do multiple tastings in smaller portions. I ended up buying two types of tea anyway, but I have no idea what the second one tastes like! That being said, I felt more comfortable buying it because they give a 10% discount to students with ID (they give other discounts, but I don't remember what for).

• Visited September 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“A Lovely Break From the Hustle and Bustle”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

There is an amazing choice of teas at Harney and Sons Soho. We also had their vanilla scones with cream and jam. As good a scone as I have had in Britain. The service was low-key and friendly. The coloured tea pots are very cute. Of course, we bought some tins of tea to bring home and some tea mugs.

• Visited July 2012
Manchester, Connecticut
“Enjoy fine tea and let the world go by”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Harney & Sons offers a wide variety of the highest quality leaves. Their soho location is a great escape from the hustle and bustle of SoHo. Staff is knowledgeable and friendly and proud to show off what the store has to offer. My favorite specialty blend is Mint Verbena which comes in a wrapped tea sachet that allows room for whole leaf tea to expand fully and infuse completely. Not only can you buy your favorite tea here, there are great tea gifts and accessories. Take a break and have a spot of tea in the back.

• Visited June 2012