“Gourmet Greek food? Yes!”
Review of Loi Restaurant - CLOSED

Loi Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Amsterdam
Transit: Stops 1,2,3, to 72nd Street
Description: “Loi will offer an original twist to Greek dining for brunch, lunch, cocktails and dinner,” says Maria Loi, who was recently appointed the International Ambassador of Greek Gastronomy for the renowned Chef’s Club of Greece. “The restaurant will share many of the Loi family recipes to traditional Greek dining, which have been passed down from my great grandmother. Loi is about real food, cooked with Greek olive oil and using authentic and fresh ingredients. It is about healthy and delicious dining that brings family and friends together.”
Danbury, Connecticut
“Gourmet Greek food? Yes!”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Finally, we have found a high class Greek restaurant within 10 minutes walking distance from the Lincoln Center. The spacious, comfortable place is inviting by itself, but the people led by the Chef, Maria Loi, are incredibly friendly and warm and make it even better. Maria is a most gracious host, frequently touring the dining room and making everyone to feel like at home. And that is the essence of Greek cuisine is for me, a wonderful home-style cooking from the freshest ingredients. Maria adds a good dose of panache to it. Her Baklava is not your average Baklava. Her Greek yogurt is very different from the supermarket variety. And her chicken soup is… you must try it. The appetizers and desserts were great! We were happy with food in general, but were not overwhelmed by our entrees. Good, but not amazing. On our next visit (and it will be soon, as soon as we have a chance) we will be smarter and we will order the salt-crusted baked fish for two with variety of Greek specialty sidings and it would be incredible fun. Don’t forget to try the Greek wine, aren’t you a bit bored with Cabernet and Chardonnay? Go for Xinomavro, Moschofilero and Assyrtiko! Opa!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank LeopoldsFriend

Boston, Massachusetts
“Yummy meal...get the baklava!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Great Greek meal at Loi. Lots of fresh, authentic dishes that are beautifully prepared. Highlights for me are the house made Greek yogurt and mini grape leaves, the Loi olive oil, and the baklava. Main dishes were good, too. Prices are a bit high for some standard fare (moussaka, spanakopita), but great service and a lovely atmosphere.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jessica E
New York City, New York
“Upscale and imaginative Greek haut cuisine”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The eponymous named restaurant's Che/owner has put together a solid, updated Greek menu supplemented by daily specials, fairly priced in relation to the regular menu, which I can never resist ordering. The food and environment is up to the level of the restaurants place in the high end.

We have visited more than several times and it has consistently met our expectations.

The wait staff is excellent and helpful, the wine selections complimentary.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Unbongout
New York City, New York
“New important restaurant for NYC visitors”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Our first visit to this restaurant was memorialized by conversation with Executive Chef Maria Loi wearing her big Hellenic Chef''s Association medallion and a pleasant smile. The service was reasonably prompt and the waiter willingly explained the specials. We had a wonderful acidic 2012 island wine and the eggplant appetizer ant main course bronzino and the veal shanko (ossobuco style) were wonderful. A bit consternated when wine bottle disappeared before opening and another appeared, but the explanation that the cork was bad led to new bottle displayed and openned, Also waited a bit too long for the bill when we failed to order desert. We will go back for desert another time as the meal was plenty this time. When these few kinks get worked out and if one is willing to pay formal restaurant prices for some of the best Greek food in NYC, this place will become a destination. I full agree with the other reviewers about the decore and quality.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank rwfishermn
Athens, Greece
“Top choice for authentic Greek Food.”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I visited the restaurant Loi during my recent trip to New York. Being Greek and living in Athens I know pretty good what good Greek food means. A friend of me invited me at the restaurant and I was at first skeptical. How I can be surprised from the Greek food of New York. Well here it is! From the city of surprises to a surprisingly good Greek restaurant at the middle of Manhattan.
Interiors are beautiful and the restaurant spacious and cozy. Maria Loi the star of this place well known in Greece as the National Chef of the country now represents the Greek cuisine at New York, she came to our table to welcome us. Starters just amazing. The Greek pinot noir Papaionou estate just one of the best wines I ever had. Smooth and lovely spicy ending. For main I had "kritharoto" (Greek risotto) with shrimps. Still I cant forget that plate. Maria send us complimentary the famous Greek walnut pie, circle baklava and an amazing Ekmek. Lovely place and lovely host. For me as a person that lives and born in Greece the disappointment of the restaurants out of Greece that promote Greek food at the triangle of souvlaki - mousaka - Greek salad that was a re-leaf. I will visit this amazing city again and I will visit Loi restaurant again.

• Visited December 2013