“Excellent food, harried pace”

456 Shanghai Cuisine
Ranked #2,219 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Michigan
“Excellent food, harried pace”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Ate there for lunch. Generous portions and we all loved our dishes. The soup dumplings were freaking outstanding and the fried noodles with chicken and shrimp were excellent. However, the place runs like a machine and the idea is to get you in and out. Know that going in and you'll be fine.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
“Best Chinese food EVER!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

the noodles and beef...OMG! the Shanghai dumplings with the soup inside...INCREDIBLE! the jellyfish salad and the pickled fish...all of these things make 456 the best Chinese restaurant EVER!

Visited July 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Greatest shanghai food”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was in the restaurant twice and was probably one of the best shanghai food i ever had. I recommend the shanghai steak and sweet and sour pork... really enjoyed the food. The service is really nice and helpful.

• Visited April 2013
“The worst customer service experience I have ever encountered!!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My title is a very strong statement!! But unfortunately it is very true.. It was a very blazing summers day in NYC and as we were tourists we just needed somewhere to sit down and have a nice meal and a cold drink!! Unfortunately we did not receive that there.. From the outside it looked decent had a news paper clipping on the front window to state they had been recommended in the New York Times.. When we entered the restuarant, we were not greeted in anyway but "Table for 2?, Sit over there!". We followed his instructions, and just thought it maybe the way how he communicates. Then next mishap we encountered when we asked what drinks they sold.. He shouted at us and said we only sell "Coke and Sprite" I was very much on the verge of walking out, but it was hot and we couldn't walk an inch further without a drink. After ordering sprites.. He didn't ask if we were ready to order, he merely said "what do you want?" In a very unfriendly manner.. We asked if they sold chicken chow mein.. He got very angry with us asking this question. You would have thought we had an asked a very rude question. His response was "No only rice or noodles" so we asked again do you not sell chow mein.
His response again but he shouted this time. " I said no rice or noodles"
Call me stupid but you would have thought the restuarant being in china town and being an oriental cuisine they sold chow mein!! We decided to just have chicken fried rice.. Me and my friend put aside that the waiter was extremely rude, and we couldn't wait to eat as everyone else's food smelt nice and looked great! (don't be fooled)
3 minutes or so later the Waiter that served us had sat at a table in front of us, and seemed to be eating a three course meal.. Which is all nice however he didn't come over and say I am on my lunch now another waiter will be over to look after you.. Couldn't really expect that to be honest, seeing as we werent even greeted with an hello on arrival.
5 minutes later and a polite waiter had approached and poured us some Chinese tea that was already on our table. Asked how we were and how our day was going and that our meal won't be long.. (The best service we had recieved in that restuarant, and it was only a few sentences) When our meal arrived the food was the worst Chinese food I had ever encountered in my whole life!! I don't know if it's because it's a restuarant in china town, but in England the food at least tastes edible.. The food was lacking in flavor I had to layer the rice with salt and chilli oil!!
We didn't even eat 1/4 of the bowl as it was to much to stomach. We asked for the cheque which came to $16 excluding tip (there was no mention of a tip on the bill) so we didn't leave one, as you have read we did not encounter any good service.. We left the money, and headed for the exit, we were stopped by the rude waiter and he asked "how much is here" , we told him the bill $16.. He then asked where is the tip. Before we could say anything he shouted in front of the whole restuarant and told us to get out. I shouted back at him and explained the reason why he did not receive a tip.. "You were very rude and that is the reason why you did not receive a tip on that basis, if you were not rude and you had greeted us with an hello at least you would have received one.. He then kept quiet and was shocked at my reaction, his colleague stepped in and said we share the tip.. I looked at him to say are you serious, I am not an idiot, tips are only given if you have received a good service, as to which we had not..

Overall I rate this the worst customer service I have encountered, I don't know if it's because we were British! Or if that was his persona.. But it is not acceptable.. If you don't mind rude customer service and horrible food and shooed out of a place because you did not leave a tip. Then this is the place to be.. If you want a nice experience in china town and good food. Avoid this place!!

Would not reccomend this place to a dog never mind a human!!

Note for the restuarant higher new staff including a chef!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Shanice M
Carmichael, California
“Dumplings and tea in the late afternoon”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My college roommate and I enjoyed late dim sum in the afternoon at 456. We had the crabmeat & pork buns (soup dumplings 8) with scallion pancakes with egg & sliced beef. The server also recommended wonton in spicy peanut and sesame flavor . The soup dumplings were delicious, almost as great as my experience in Shanghai. The scallion pancakes with egg and sliced beef was more like a burrito... sliced beef and scallions wrapped in the pancake and dipped in egg and fried. I personally like the plain pancakes more. The wonton were probably steamed and the spicy peanut butter sauce was added for flavor. Ok...we tried it, a bit heavy with the sauce! It was nice stop for tea and dumplings.

• Visited June 2013