“Uggghhh....dont bother :/”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 47th & 48th St
Transit: A, C, E to 50th/8th N, R to 49th/7th
Description: Specializing in Balkan & Mediterranean Foods, Wines, and Beers, Balkanika offers a little bit of the old and the new:creative tapas spreads and healthy vegetarian & vegan dishes, hearty old-world recipes, bureks & kebabs, home-made yogurt and some unique creations besides. Enjoy a glass of wine by candlelight, or grab a sandwich and meze spreads to take out. Party Trays are available, as well as Private Parties, International Groceries, Gourmet Coffee Beans, Imported Meats & Cheeses.
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited when I saw this place. It looked so cute in Downtown, NY.
Everything else was horrible...service was totally mussing. The waiter would come to check on us even once. We ordered one kind of beer, he brought a different one. Crazyness...
Food was even worse. I am from the Balkans and this is not what the food should taste like. Tzatziki had nothing to do with actual greek tzatziki. Kufte was turkey and i couldnt even do a bite from it...never tried anything worse. Side werent nothing speciall too. NO pork is served in there?!?!? Everybody knows that people who live on Balkans LOVE pork. Whats that menu about?!?!...apparently the owner is muslim. So how is that a balkanic place? It is simply a muslim place with really BAD food, good location and pleasant ambience.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My 2 sister-in-laws and I visited NewYork Easter weekend. We ate a lot of good food while we were there, but this was by far our favorite! I highly recommend!!!!

1  Thank Tara E
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Ordered the cheese and meat platter, feta was good, mountain gorgonzola was tub cheese crumbles and parma ham could not have been further from anything I consider parma ham. Cheese fondue was thin and oily and service was non existent, our server never once returned to our table to check on us despite only 2 other tables occupied.. If you know mediterranean food this is not for you. Bread was good but we were looking for a bit more than bread for our money.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I visited this place on my last trip to New York, and both me and my large group of friends from various places in the Balkans really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. The service is courteous and good. The food is freshly prepared, so do not expect it to arrive at your table the moment you order. It shouldn't. They have a large selection of salads and dips to alleviate your hunger while you wait.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I,m going next week to this lovely place and i can,t wait i hear the reviews are great i will let everyone know how it is was my trip is next week wish me luck..