“Loved the Trendy decor”

GreenLeadersSilver level
djstew
“Loved the Trendy decor”
Reviewed August 5, 2007

This is an amazing and stylish hotel, really trendy with great staff and the room was very comfortable. The view over the Hudson river was breathtaking. It is so well situated for everything and we had a great stay. The only down point was that when we got home we found that we had a very large amount charged to our credit card after we had left the hotel and setlled the bill which was outrageous so this slightly dampened the euphoria of our stay. We got it all back but it was a bit tedious having to fight our corner to get it back. A bit of a disgrace on the part of the hotel and we know that this happened to the 2 other couples we were with as well so they need to sort this out. However other than keeping a close eye on charges I would thoroughly recommend this stunning hotel.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank djstew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 30, 2007

This hotel is located ideally in the center of Times Square.

The only problem with being so centrally located is getting to it by car. Once we got to the hotel, traffic diversions caused my wife and I to travel in circles for about 30 minutes until finally landing in the hotel's very tight driveway. I would suggest leaving the car at the airport and having a taxi or subway take you there. Besides... NYC is a great city to enjoy on foot, especially when your hotel is located near everything.

You must proceed to a higher floor to check in. The lobby is adjacent to a super cool dance club/martini bar with music blasting deep bass notes that cause your body to magically start swaying from side to side. The clientelle of the club look to be straight off of a runway fashion show. I must admit my wife and I were a little intimidated by them, but secretly we could not stop staring at the beautiful people surrounding us.

The rooms are like many we have seen at the W hotels, only slightly smaller. The contemporary furnishings are surprisingly comfortable, and the ultra modern bathroom fixtures are a lot of fun to figure out. The bed in particular was "heavenly" as described by the bellman who took us to our room.

The staff of the hotel are very knowledable and less snooty than some we have experienced in NYC. They seem to genuinely care whether the customers are enjoying their stay and they time in NYC.

We have stayed at hotels that provided much more in the way of amenities, but the W is what it is. A hip, modern, hotel. If you are into this style, then give it a try.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of amenities
  • Stayed October 2003, traveled as a couple
Quickborn, Germany
Reviewed July 25, 2007

The W Hotel at the Times Square is directly located on Broadway and 47th Street at the heart of the Times Square. As described already in other reviews, the hotel is very stylish, with the reception and lobby on the 7th floor. The regular rooms are going to the 33rd floor, above you have the upgraded rooms with very stylish names. The hotels interior is mainly styled in black, with the exception of the entry on the ground floor (water fall above your head) and the lobby on the 7th floor. I got an upgrade and styed for two nights on the 35th floor. The rooms are spacious with a king size bed, a large office desk and toilette/bath room. Thw room had two huge mirrors, a FlatTV and a nice shower behind a glas front. The rooms pretend to be very stylish, but made on relatively cheap materials from my judgement. Internet is not for free, breakfast I have not tried. The hotel owned restaurant 'Blue Fin' serves good fish food and was over-booked. Overall, a good hotel, but with 330 Dollar for a night not necessary cheap.

For a more typical hotel experience, better try the Crowne Plaza, one block away and proper hotel feeling.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank marcstrauch
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Extremely disappointed with my stay at the W Hotel Times Square. Bit of an understatement, actually. I was apalled by the hotel and the attitude of the staff.

During my stay at the hotel, employees of the hotel came in, had sexual intercourse, and left a used condom in my room while I was out. I found the used condom. Hotel staff responded by trying to tell me it wasn't a big deal, and person at the front desk thought it was hilarious. I spoke with the Hotel manager, Ana MacDiarmid. Although they know the people that came into the room having done an electronic lock inquiry, they have not taken any disciplinary actions on the employees. They offered me 2 free nights as an "apology".

Needless to say, their apology and their behavior leaves a lot to be desired. I've also filed this with the Better Business Bureau and the New York Department of Consumer Affairs. I am debating whether to file with the New York Department of Human and Health Services.

I would avoid this hotel for any kind of stay.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Attitude and behavior of staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank businesstraveler36
atlanta
Reviewed July 23, 2007

After reading the reviews I was a little uncertain if I had boked the right hotel for us. But upon arrival I could not have been more pleased. The customer service is exceptional. The location in times square, broadway and subway was great. And our room was well maintaned,
with a fantastic view. And yes the halls and elevator are dark, there are young(30ish). people everywhere and the lobby fills with them but not so much that it was ever a problem. we are in our 50s and never felt out of place. I would definitly stay there again.

• Liked — soft bed
  • Disliked — dark elevator
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank gatito22
CT
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Very unhappy-Hotel Location, Valet Service, Lobby, Desk great!!! Elevator and Halls dark, so dark you can't even see the elevator buttons.Entering room, you think maybe you are in an IKEA store. Bathroom is dirty/Accumulated dust on every baseboard/rack/Shower Mildewed/No exhaust fan-and enclosure is such that you can see shadow of every movement of those occupying the bathroom!! No hooks in bathroom, shelves are dirty/rusty and you don't want to put your clothes on them. Room is also very dark..very little "good" lighting, if it had been raining I cant imagine how dark it would have been..maybe this is on purpose to not notice the rooms are not clean.
Room service tray left in hall of neighbor from 9PM Friday night until at least 11AM Saturday (when we left)-did not smell good.
My last stay at any "W".

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank NJfoxred
New England
Reviewed July 6, 2007

The Spectacular room, which we had booked ( above 32nd floor), wasn't ready at 3:45, so we took a room on the 21st floor. The room was nice, and we got a thirty dollar discount for taking it.

The big problem is that the walls are paper thin. Our neighbors got in while we were taking a nap. We heard, very clearly, that they were planning to attend a show at the Majestic Theater. After that, we heard them making love. None of this was loud. It was all in regular voices - just things I would prefer kept private. I'm sure they would have , too.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — Products - shampoo, soap, etc. - Bliss
  • Disliked — No privacy.
  • Stayed June 2007