“Lots of Fun!”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #273 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 29, 2006

Many of the reviews of this hotel are true: 1) it is dimly lit both in the rooms and in the hallways; 2) the bathrooms are tiny; 3) some of the rooms are showing their age. BUT, the atmosphere is fun for couples looking to book a romantic weekend. You couldn't ask for a better location in Times Square. The lobby/lounge area on the 7th floor really comes alive after 10pm. And, the restaurant at ground level, The Blue Fin, is really excellent. We found the staff very service oriented (especially the concierge). Best of all is the trademark W beds - very plush - and the best part of a romantic weekend!

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank Don G
Write a ReviewReviews (4,403)

Reviewed April 8, 2006

After reading the views I too was wondering what we had let ourselves in for. Yes the place was very modern and dark. It is by not means a traditional hotel but we enjoyed it. Our room size was fine the bed was very comfy (maybe a little bit short for US standards) especially the pillows and since back home I shall buy one from their website (as I do miss it it was sooo comfy). We were on the 36th floor so not very high and had a view of another hotel but if you looked sideways you could see times square and on the other side the sea. We arrived in the early hours and in the room a light was on for us and also the cd was playing music.

On arrival at the hotel you walk passed the concierge desk on the right with the restaurant on the left. It has the water running on the ceiling and looked very impressive. You take the lift to the 7th floor where the main reception desk is together with the lounge area and shop. You then take another lift to your room. We did not see the whisky club or the spa area as we were out sight seeing all day.

The bliss collection they supplied to use in the bathroom were fantastic and you could buy them to take home from the hotel's shop which certainly did have some unusual items. I would have liked to have seen a few womans personal items in the bathroom but never mind. The sink and tap had seen better days but I feel that perhaps the quality of the make let them down unlike the shower which had a good well known company name and this worked wonderful and could copy with the constant use.

The food in the hotel was good but very expensive. I did have one complaint as one morning after being seated in the restaurant we waited for 15 mins until I got up to ask for the menu. He said he would bring it over which he did. We then waited another 5 mins without being served and a woman came in and was seen to straight away. We then walked out and complained to the Manager.

The concierge, Gilmar, was wonderful. He was so nice and helpful and told us everything we needed to know giving us leaflets with vouchers in for free gifts and money off items.

I did find the lounge area to be a bit intimidating as in the evenings it was full of people and very noisy. However, one evening we went in there for a drink and found it fine.

I would come to this hotel again if it was just my husband and I. I would not feel it is the right hotel to bring my daughter. While we were there (Mon-Sat) it was mainly business people. I feel it is a very business like hotel which showed in the bedrooms that had pc, printers, paper etc.

Everyone there was very nice especially Gilmar and the location was very good.

2  Thank Screen name cant think of one
Reviewed March 26, 2006

Just got back from our weekend at the W times square. After reading all the reviews, I have to admit I was a little concerned about taking the trip to the W, but all my fears were dismissed as I arrived at this great hotel. To start, the location is great. It is smack dab on times square and broadway...just perfect. The lobby was very cool and somewhat trendy with dim lights and funky seating. The check in process was very quick. We arrived early and left our bags which was not a problem and were given the option of a call or text message when our room was ready. And like they said, when the room was ready we received the text message.
The room was great, we asked for a view and had a great view of broadway and times square. It was a beautiful room, far bigger than what others had mentioned. Very funky bathroom with glass shower and sliding doors, loved it. Also the bed was amazing and mirrors covered much of the walls, with a huge flat screen in the middle. Overall, the hotel offered everything and more. I would highly recommend the W times square to anyone who wants the complete chic New York City experience!!!

8  Thank CaptainJJG29
Reviewed March 10, 2006

I can't beleive that there are 100 better hotels in NYC. Some of the reviews are off the mark.

If you are easily offended by some quite dull dance music in the lifts and black walls in the halls, then maybe you should stick to the dull multinational chains in the area.

The customer service was great and the entrance, lobby and bar, were quite cool. We found the staff friendly and not at all snobby. Our room was not to the same standard but it had a great view.

Some of the fittings in the room are ageing and some of the tiles in the shower (with a door in our case) were loose.

Also the hotel bar does get busy, with lots of non-residents which was annoying.

Overall a good choice for the area.

3  Thank reading222
Reviewed March 7, 2006

We stayed in this Hotel during Dec 2005. Although this is a good hotel in a fantastic location, we did have some reservations.

We arrived at 9.30pm, after a 12 hour journey. Our first impression was a little disturbing, as the reception basically was like walking into a trendy nightclub, in full swing. Don't get me wrong we are only young, but this did feel intimidating whilst we just wanted to get to bed!

We requested a non-smoking room - but ended up with the opposite. We were advised that the hotel was full, so there was no chance of changing (probably as we were on a discounted rate). Our room was beautiful and trendy, however it was very dark, as there were only wall lights - useless for make up application. We overlooked this as our view was fabulous - full window overlooking Time Square.

Our bathroom was poor (bath didn't hold water properly) and there were signs of neglect (i.e. cracked tiles).

If we had paid the full rate we would have been gutted, as I have stayed in far better 4* Hotels.

The location was perfect for us to explore New York, so the Hotel did not spoil our fun. To be honest we would have probably been ok with a 2-3*, as we spent most of our time out and about.

Tip - make sure that you visit customer services in Bloomingdales / Macys to get a discount card, if you are out of state.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank H&DVB
Reviewed March 7, 2006

I stayed at the W from a Fri-Tues and every bit of the experience was wonderful. From the extra helpful doormen/bellstaff to the fun and friendly front desk personnel, the service and quality is excellent! I will try to stay there again on my next trip to NYC.

2  Thank BlondGirl30
Reviewed March 5, 2006

Our stay at the W Time Square was wonderful! We are four women ages range from 27-45. We all loved it!. The staff knows how to treat each and everyone of their customers like VIP's. I couldn't get over how attentive they were to our needs. We were on the 19th floor and were very happy with our room. Hotel is very close to Brooks Atkinson Theatre. Club Whiskey was great...talk to James and get into the vip section where dancing is lots of fun! I am a hotel snob and have stay frequently at Bellagio and Venetian in Las Vegas as well as Paris and Cannes Chic hotels. This is a FUN hotel! I am already planning my next trip...starbucks is directly across the street.

3  Thank karendew