“Exceeded All Expectations”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #266 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have been an hotelier for greater than 40 years and personally I have stayed in Starwood hotels for 1000+ nights. I understand the importance of paying attention to details, and that “little things mean a lot.” When it comes to guest satisfaction, the W New York Times Square is simply the best of the best.

The most important element of any successful hotel is its staff. Everybody I came in contact with at the W was polite and well trained. Check-in went smoothly, and though I arrived early and had to wait a short time for my room, I received a phone call as soon as it was available. At check-out time I was amazed that the guest service representative did not ask for my room number – she actually recognized me and remembered which room I was in.

The room I stayed in was very clean and the furnishings were in good taste and in excellent condition. I was pleasantly surprised how quiet the room was considering it is in the heart of New York City. I am probably one of the few people that still prefer a bathtub so the shower-only was a disappointment, but I am well aware that most guests would desire the W Hotel’s large walk-in shower.

Location is important and the W New York Times Square is in the center of most attractions. I was there to see Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and I only walked a couple blocks to have a great view. Everything I wanted to do was just a short walk away. The W is in the center of the theater district, not far from the boutiques on Fifth Avenue, and near many good restaurants.

I am retired but if I were still in the hotel business I would be proud to be associated with such a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful remarks with us! We agree that the "little things" mean alot and we work diligently each day to build a service culture, responsive to the individual needs of our guests. We regret that all of our rooms do not have bathtubs in them, but we can certainly work with you to accomodate this preference in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly when your travels return you to the W Times Square so we can ensure another great getaway!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Husband and I wanted a long weekend getaway. Our SPG ambassador set up the reservation and we requested suite upgrade. Upgrades weren't available, so we ended up with a regular room in the tower.

Other reviews mentioned the thin walls, and a room near us had several young children in it. We could hear them shrieking and jumping around even after we returned from the theater on Friday night. Saturday morning wasn't any better with the kids opening and closing the room door and shouting in the alcove.

We had a couple minor issues taken care of first thing Saturday AM so housekeeping and security get gold stars for quick fixes. One complaint is the bathroom. We had a tiny freestanding sink and no place to put even the small bar of soap without it sliding into the sink. There's a metal bakers rack with towels and very small space to put a mans toiletry kit on top. There is no shelf or counter space for anything. The toilet seat and tank both sloped forward, so I couldn't even put my curling iron there to warm up without it sliding to the floor. The bakers rack is open metal and you can't put anything on top that's smaller than a Kleenex box or else it would fall through the wires. Bad lighting in the bathroom. Fresh towels had dark stains on them, and were relatively threadbare. We're used to the heavier, Turkish towels and robes that other W properties have.

This is a great location for theater...Lion King, Chicago, Book of Mormon are within two blocks of the hotel. You are across the street from the Time Square Broadway ticket booth for same day discount ticket sales. Lots of cabs and the doormen are very friendly.

Great stay all around, just minor annoyances.

Room Tip: Get a room above the 35th floor, separate set of elevators and you get better views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Hi there!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we truly appreciate your honest and balanced review. We are delighted you enjoyed our location and our team was able to quickly take care of your needs upon request. Please note we have also gladly shared your comments with our entire team for future reference as we are always looking to improve your experience with us. Thank you once again for reaching out and please do not hesitate to advise us should you need anything at all during your next stay - we are here for you 24/7!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

The W hotel times square has ALWAYS been the best experience for myself. Decided to take my daughter for her 18th birthday to celebrate and once again the W was the best choice. Friendly staff and excellent service as ALWAYS.....Kristin Collura in particular. She will help you with anything you need. The W times square is the place to be!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Hello,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are happy that your daughter and you had a great birthday celebration with us! We're here for you! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed four nights over summer with the family. Perfect Time Square position. The best thing about the W is you are in the heart of Time Square and all it's madness and yet you are one elevator ride (actually 2 as we were in the tower) from sheer tranquility. Rooms are standard W fare - beautiful, well appointed and yet simple. Room service every morning was extremely punctual. Loved the loaner umbrellas - they were huge and classy at the same time. Concierge desk was not as helpful as I would have liked or expected - only negative in an extremely positive stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gottaluvsummer

Hello,
Thank you for taking time and providing us a balance feedback. We are glad we were able to make your family escape enjoyable. We apologize you didn't have a positive experience with our concierge. That's definitely not the standard that we strive for. Should your travel bring you back to NYC, do not hesitate to reach out to us prior to the arrival and we'll make sure you are well taken care of!

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

One of the better W's I have stayed at. Room was modern and a decent size. Located right in Times Square. There is a bar at the bottom of the hotel and one in the lobby (7th floor). Unfortunately, I was there less than 24 hours so really didn't have time to enjoy the place.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Miss650

Thank you for your positive comments. We're glad you had a great W experience with us.
We hope to see you again in the future for an extended escape.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

our first time staying at the w. everyone was very accommodating. we asked for an early checkin as we had a early flight and were in the city by noon. they had a room ready for us by one oclock. we were very appreciative. we were given a corner room with two windows facing times square, it was great. we certainly had no issues with the bright lights! the shades worked great. the room was wonderful. very clean. bed was comfortable. no bites on us! concierge were very helpful with restaurant tips. had a drink in the living room. nice bartender! we got lost a couple of times, but eventually found our way back. had breakfast at the blue fin. excellent! would certainly come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: the corner rooms have two windows!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank butcherboy55
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Hello and thank you for leaving us such great comments. We appreciate it. I'm happy that you were able to enjoy so many aspects of W NY- Times Square. I hope you can come back soon for a longer getaway. Be in touch. kristin.collura@whotels.com

All the best,
Kristin

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend and have to say one of the best hotels we've stayed in, we loved the moody atmosphere. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a King corner suite on the 55th floor, I will say prices at the bar were a bit on the sore side but that's to be expected in a top notch hotel, everything about the hotel said class, would love to come back and stay here.

Nb we stayed here in 2010 (I've selected Feb 13 as the page had to be completed)

Room Tip: The Corner suite on the 55th would be hard to beat I think
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Wonderful to hear! I'm looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Please be in touch. kristin.collura@whotels.com

All the best,