“Great location, helpful staff, spacious room” 4 of 5 bubbles

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #268 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Great location, helpful staff, spacious room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a nice experience at the W Times Square. We booked through AMEX and received an upgraded room and some additional extras (continental breakfast, drinks). The hotel staff were extremely helpful and accommodating. We never had to wait for a cab and the concierge desk was helpful giving us directions and other recommendations. We had a great view and nice size room. We were on an upper floor so the street noise was not an issue. The bathroom was a little tight but had all the amenities you would need. Our first day it was unfortunately raining and they ran out of umbrellas. They were very nice about looking everywhere to try to track one down. Also, our last night, there was an extremely intoxicated person in the lounge one night and they handled the situation well and escorted the guy out of the place. I would recommend this hotel for business or leisure.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor room as I'm sure the lower rooms are loud.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hello and thank you for your wonderful comments! It was truly our pleasure and please do not hesitate to reach out to us prior to your next visit - we are here for you 24/7!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Enola, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had such a great stay at the W this past weekend! We travelled with another family to celebrate the graduation of our kids from elementary school. It was a weekend full of fun...and the Saturday matinee of Wicked!!

This hotel is centrally located...we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The staff are very accommodating of requests and are very willing to answer questions!

The rooms are on the small side, but we don't tend to spend much time in them except for sleeping! The room was clean, the beds were fine...the kids loved the cool sink in the bathroom.

We are planning another get-away this summer, and we will be staying at the W.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank my2kidsmom9702
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and it was our pleasure to have you with us during the special celebration weekend! Feel free to contact us prior to arrival in future and we will gladly ensure you have a great next experience as well!
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We traveled to New York City to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. Having never been to New York, we were looking for a fun, conveniently located hotel that matched our style. We definitely found it at the W in Times Square.

Everything about this hotel was fantastic.
* The cool overhead water feature upon entering.
* The mood setting fragrance, lighting, and music in the elevators and Living Room.
* The friendliness and professionalism of ALL of the staff.
* The cleanliness of everything.
* The convenience and awe of being right in Times Square.

We had a "Cool Corner" room on the 54th floor and loved the fact that we had 2 sets of windows, maximizing our views of Times Square. While we didn't need them this time, it was nice that the W had snacks and drinks available inside the room.

At night, Times Square was so bright, we chose to lower the blinds a bit to darken the room enough for sleep.

We arrived at the tail end of Tropical Storm Andrea's visit, so our first day was quite rainy. We toured Central Park and Madison Avenue by umbrella, and it was great that our hotel was close enough that we could swing by our room for a few minutes to change socks and dry our shoes out.

The weather was warm and sunny for the rest of the trip, so that made it a no-brainer to grab a nearby subway to catch some of the further sights on our agenda.

On our first night there, we were surprised with a card, some champagne, and chocolate-dipped strawberries. A very cool and memorable gift. Top-notch!

At night, their low-key Living Room (common area and bar) brings in a DJ to spice things up. Everyone enjoyed the great house music.

The attached restaurant, Blue Fin, was also fantastic with a nice bit of live jazz music. Definitely worthy of our 10 year anniversary dinner.

This is definitely a great hotel...one we wouldn't hesitate to return to.

Room Tip: "Cool Corner" rooms are the best bang for your buck.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hello there,
We are delighted that we were able to provide you with a fun and romantic anniversary experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Caracas, Venezuela
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you are going to the city on vacation with family or friends it’s a good place to stay……the hotel is right in the middle of times square and there is plenty to do and see…….restaurants, Broadway shows……there’s also a subway station a couple of blocks away…the stores in fifth avenue are within walking distance….Rockefeller center…So plenty of things to do.
The staff is nice and helpful, the hotel isn’t that expensive compared to others closer to the park like the Four seasons…..Mandarin...Etc.….but it also has a different target……I wouldn’t recommend it if you go with children.
The room was just ok and my least favorite thing about it was the bathroom. There is free Wi-Fi only at the lobby.
If you ‘re going to NY and plan to spend very little time in the hotel and most of your time getting to know the city it’s a very good place to stay…the absolute best thing about it is the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed our ambience and location and hope to welcome you back soon.
Raina
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I couldn't help but feel like they were squeezing every last penny out of me. In my opinion it was very expensive for the quality but that comes with the location I guess. I was in NY with work and the location was perfect for the office but it is pretty noisy at night. However, that did not prevent me having a good sleep though as the bed was one of the most comfortable beds i have ever slept in.

it was nice enough but for the money i would have felt disappointed if i had paid out of my own pocket.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Hi there!

I am very glad to see that you enjoyed the location and the bed here at the W New York - Times Square. Our Wonderful bed certainly is comfortable - I even have one for my own home! I hear you about prices in NYC. We feel that our prices are very competitive for the quality and service you receive at the hotel. I hope that we have the chance to welcome you back in the future - if we do, please reach out to me so that we can welcome you back in style. Thank you for your review and the time it took to post. We appreicate the feedback.

All the best,
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed two night in Times Square for business travel / entertainment. The first night we were booked right next door at the Marriott Marquis on the 32 floor -- had a wonderful experience, sound proof rooms (higher floor helps) and breakfast / drinks / apps for Gold Club Rewards members -- around $450 for the night. FANTASTIC night of sleep - no ear plugs needed, lovely hotel, friendly staff.

Our second night, we were "upgraded" to stay directly next door at the W Hotel. We checked in - 26th floor - took strange elevator system - to the 26th floor - all the lights were out, so you get off the elevator into darkness - scary, walked the dark hallway, went to our room and it was a tiny box - thin, thin walls and the bathroom was like a sliding closet door - NO PRIVACY. They didn't have good lighting, there was nowhere to put your things - (not many tables) and just a cheap room -- honestly a Motel 6 would have been about the same. The worst part was the noise. We had the luxury of the Marriott the night before, so we were stunned at the noise all night long - construction, jack hammers, dump trucks, etc. I had ear plugs in and didn't get any relief. It was a very tough night of sleep. At one point, we thought someone had opened our room door, we jumped up and realized it was the neighbor next to us -- we heard the key and door open right next to us - but the wall is so thin it was like it was in our own room. The rate for the second night - around $700.

Don't bother with this hotel because of the name -- the Marriott is the choice for Times Square.

The W Hotel has a great restaurant -- Blue Fin. That was a great dining experience. Definitely eat, just don't sleep.

Room Tip: Go to the Marriott Marquis - ask for a high floor and/or corner room with a view of Times Square.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your honest feedback and rest assured your comments have since been shared with our management team. Should you choose to return in future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us prior to arrival and our team will gladly personally ensure your next trip to the city is reflective of a true W Experience.
Danbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

By far the least professional W I have stayed at. Although the location may be great for tourists, in my opinion the W union square is far better both in terms of service and location (Union Square hello?). My issues were as follows:
1. They messed up billing me. I am now in contact with Amex trying to sort the mess out since the booking was already done and paid for (only incidentals should have been charged whereas they charged me lodging again).
2. On two separate occasions I had to endure long waits on the phone with the front desk/whatever whenever. Although my call was returned 5-10 minutes later it was too late (I am paying for the service and no an unreasonable wait time is not acceptable).
3. Claiming to be pet friendly, my pet was an unwelcome guest. Before leaving for a night out in the city, I popped over to the front desk to inform them that I was leaving a pet and was giving them my contact info. I was told that if there is a complaint I would be charged whatever the W incurs in terms of compensating complainants. Now I have stayed at a few other W's; I was told to go out and enjoy my night. I did not enjoy either of my nights.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your honest feedback and rest assured our management team is aware and has since personally followed up in regards to these concerns. Should you choose to return in future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us prior to arrival and we will gladly ensure you (and your pup!) are personally taken care of.