“W Times Square - Wows Again!”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #260 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Buffalo, New York
“W Times Square - Wows Again!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here in November and loved it. I returned this past Memorial Day weekend and I loved it yet again. I called the week before we checked-in to see if there was an upgrade available with my SPG gold status, and the guy on the phone did it immediately, without charge, from Wonderful to Spectacular for both rooms I had booked. Awesome! We checked in on Friday, May 24th and got there earlier than the check-in time. Two double bedrooms were not available at the moment on the same floor, so we opted to wait. I was a little upset that our rooms were not ready until close to 5:00pm, but we were out at Bloomingdale's so it didn't matter. We had room 4502 and 4505. The rooms are smaller, but well-appointed and modern. The maid service came every day before we got back to the room. Every staff member we encountered was beyond friendly and informative. We were able to get a late check-out of 4:00pm due to my SPG gold status again...that was awesome. Overall, I choose the W Times Square because the location is without a doubt the best for Times Square hotels, and I enjoy the modern, yet luxurious feel of the place.

Room Tip: If you have a Wonderful room booked, call to see if you can get a Spectacular room. They are on a hi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We are delighted that you were able to enjoy your Insider experience. Reviews such as yours are what inspire us. We will be sure to share your feedback with our team.
The Guest Service Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Close to everything, nice amenities, very chic. But, even on the 22nd floor the noise of Times Square (taxi horns, sirens, events) is pretty loud. Rooms very clean, staff at front desk nice, and good parking nearby at Icon garage.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi
We are delighted that you loved our upscale ambience. Sorry about the noise, but being at the center of it is pretty loud!
We do hope you visit us again soon.
The W Guest Service Team
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I booked the W Times Square because St Regis was fully booked.
They were kind enough to upgrade me to a cool corner room on a high floor due to my platinum status.
I found the room to be very small, with the bare minimum of goodies. The building itself is old … what did I expect? It’s NY!
Rooms need a face lift.
I needed to be on a conference call. My cell phone kept losing the signal at the high floor. In the lobby music is playing too loud. In the business center I had no bars… I wouldn’t say it is very convenient for a business trip.
I wouldn’t say it is suitable for a family because rooms are very small and there are very few suites.
If I were in my 20s and in NY for fun, I would certainly have a blast at this hotel.
With all this said, I got a very good rate for my stay. In a way, compared to St Regis, it was worth dealing with the little bit of hassle at W and have a few hundred bucks left in my pocket.

Hi
We are glad that we were able to save you a couple of $$$. Location and price.. We do try to deliver both !

We are working on retouching some of our guest room features as well as our Living room.
Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

W Guest Service Team
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2013

First you need to really like being "in" Times Square" (not just near it to stay here).
The Pluses: Responsive, friendly staff. Nice linens/towels/etc. Clean room. Food for meetings was very good.
The Drawbacks: If you face Times Square, the window shades do not fully block the pulsating lights or sounds of sirens / construction (hotel says they have had many complaints and are considering doing something about the window coverings - seems odd they know the issue, but are just thinking about it). Meeting / catering expenses are off the charts (even for NYC). Had a meeting with 50+ participants over multiple days.
Our group had 10+ people arriving who could not get into rooms even after 3 pm. I arrived at 4:30 pm and my room was not available until almost 5:30 pm. Offering a drink ticket while waiting was not enough.
Rate the staff 5 star. Rate the location and logistics of hotel and area a one star. Not a bad experience, but will never stay here again. A mixed bag.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hi Fort Lauderdale17,
We are delighted that you recognized our warm and friendly associates and will be sure to share the feedback with them. We apologise for the rooms readiness issue you faced. Thank you for hosting your event at our location. We do hope you consider returning.
The W Guest service Team
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This W is located steps from the heart of Times Square and that's the key turning point for whether to recommend choosing this as a destination. From the afternoon on, the streets are clogged with pedestrians which makes approaching or departing the hotel time-consuming and at times, frustrating. If you are there for access to the nearby theaters or events in and around the square, the traffic trade-off is worth it. If you are headed elsewhere in the city, though, you'll probably do best to pick another location.

The hotel itself is is a narrow tower the rises above nearby buildings which limits the number of rooms without at least some sort of a view. There's a typical W bar and a somewhat better restaurant on the ground floor that features seafood later in the day, but offers typical breakfast fare in the morning.

My 14th floor room had an odd chaise lounge chair and a single desk chair to go along with two double beds--my reservation was for a single king, but none were available at the time of my late evening weekday check-in. The room was "New York clean": bedding and towels were fresh, but the bathroom had the kind of long-term grime that would embarrass most hoteliers, but is common in even most high-end NYC hotels. The HVAC was quiet and effective and the built-in desk left enough room to work and spread out a bit. The window opened a couple of inches to allow in fresh air, but the outside noise was so loud, you'd have to shout to talk over it. As others have mentioned, the bathroom is sectioned off with translucent panels that don't offer true privacy if you need it within the room.

The staff was casual with some attitude, but got the job done when needed. The team at the door was especially helpful upon check-in and check-out.

I'd return if necessary, but for most business in the city, I'd look for hotels a little farther from the tourist center. If you're heading to NY as a tourist though, this might just be the place for you.

1 Thank cb4444
Hi
We are glad you liked our central location and cool and casual vibe Thank you for the feedback on the condition of the room. We are working on refurbishing our rooms and hope to unveil a new look soon.
The W Times Square Guest service Team
Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great but loud location. For the money the worst bathrooms ever...small and disgusting commode. Also, translucent walls so if you are have someone over for a drink in your room you can be seen outside of the bathroom when you are on the commode. Bad view on the 38th floor but ok because the windows were so dirty you couldn't see much. Don't try to tip at the registration desk... for us he acted as if he was giving us an up-grade. In fact we needed three different elevators to get to an ordinary room. "Maid" service did little to make the room look special when we returned in the afternoon. Didn't even replace the wine glasses with clean ones. Nice bar and lounge on the 7th floor with good bartenders. Very good restaurant, but we could have gone there from a good hotel.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
1 Thank LanceFlorida
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi Lance,

First I want to thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry to hear about your less than perfect experience with us at W New York - Times Square. I hear you about the bathroom wall, though it is the W’s style, I certainly understand it doesn’t necessarily appeal to everyone (as a matter of fact, we’ve recently installed non-transparent walls in the rooms with two double beds, as it REALLY didn’t appeal to a lot of families). That said, we try to make every one feels at home with us, and, upon request, we can provide a “shower in secret” bathroom wall cover, an alternative for those seeking a little more privacy.
I am sorry you were disappointed with the upgrade. At this property, with the exception of the suites, all of the rooms are the same size, and upgrades are based on the location of the room within the building and the view. Due to security reason, it is impossible to open the windows and clean them from inside the room on a daily basis. This is why, several times a year, we schedule a thorough cleaning of all the windows from outside. Unfortunately, we have had some bad weather lately which resulted in not perfectly clean windows on some sides of the building, and I am truly sorry it affected your view.
I am glad you enjoyed our Living Room Bar at the 7th floor. Our bar is a favorite for our guests, but also for New York City locals, and for security reasons, the lifts from the ground level only go to the 7th floor. Therefore, only our guests, using their room keys can access another bank of lifts which will take them to their floor.
As most of our guests are particular about rearranging or simply touching their belongings in the guest rooms, we have instructed the Stylists to not handle/move the guests belongings. Although, upon request, we are happy to adapt our service to your liking.
However, I want to apologize for not replacing the dirty wine glasses, I can assure you that it is not up to our standards and I will pass your feedback along to our Director of Style so he can take the opportunity to re-train the team.

Lance, I understand the W New York - Times Square was unfortunately not a good fit, but if I can be of any assistance in the future and redirect you to one of our Starwood properties in NYC, don't hesitate to reach out to me and I will happy to help: leo.rossini@whotels.com

All the best,
Leo
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went for our anniversary. The toiletries were great, and the room was very stylish. The bathroom situation was a little weird, I admit, and I had to look a little askance at the poor parents traveling with kids. At least they can tell if junior is brushing his teeth? And if you have sharp eyes, you can see the rooms are starting to age, but if you don't look too hard everything looks great. The service was all around less than helpful or happy to help.

The bed was good, our view was right into the Marriott though. The room was an okay size. The food at the restaurant was good, but really slow to arrive- the wait staff did not seem to know what was going on with the breakfast situation. All in all, we got it for a good price and the room and location were good. If it's just a couple that knows each other pretty well, and you aren't trying to spend a lot of time in the room, it's great.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the better view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank juicy318
Hi
Glad you enjoyed our location and electic design. We understand that our voyer showers are not for every one and provide a privacy shade if requested. Also in rooms with tow double beds the bathrooms are tinted for greater privacy.
The W Guest service Team