“Don't believe the hype, this is not a good hotel.”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #272 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Im going to keep this simple, Wife and I stayed at several of the hotels around times square, This was the worst by far. This Room was way over priced, Very small room, not layed out very well. Hard a hard time with the room safe to lock, Bathroom was a complete joke, Tiles in the shower had black mold inbetween them. Water pressure was so bad it barly came out. Thinck paint and calk over every thing to hind the rough condition. Hotel was very dark. Not worth the $400 + a night. The Marriott Next door was a better hotel hands down. I would never stay there again. Do your self a favor save your money and look for something better. I dont know wath the rest of the people were talking about by saying this was a great place. This must have been the first time getting to time square and have been star struck.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ray r
WNewYorkTimesSquare, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

A review such as yours breaks my heart. We work very had to deliver a first class experience to all of our guests, and getting observations such as yours is devastating. While recognizing that the design and vibe of W's are not for everyone, I rarely get word that cleanliness is anything less than sparkling. Please consider contacting me directly here at the hotel so I can resolve your concerns personally.

Warm regards -

There are newer reviews for W New York - Times Square

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Let me stay right from the beginning, as I will be focusing on the negative for most of the review, that this is NOT a bad hotel. From my brief encounters with the staff, there is nothing negative I could say about the service. They were prompt and attentive, and the service I received was very good. The location is good. The attached restaurant, Blue Fin, was also great.

The hotel is located in Times Square. It is literally on the corner of Times Square. Lots of tourists… It is within reasonable walking distance to 5th Avenue and good shopping. The hotel entrance is a bit odd. As you enter off the street, there is a set of elevators. You take those elevators to the 7th floor for check-in, then take another set of elevators to the rooms. The W plays a lot of house music, so don't expect some quiet mood music.

Check-in was uneventful. I booked with American Express Fine Hotels, and without asking was upgraded to a corner room, given my $100 dinner voucher for Blue Fin, and offered free in room breakfast. No complaints.

The rooms are really the issue. My impression of the W chain is that it endeavors to be an upper end trendy hotel, with modern components and styling. I have not stayed at a W before. I have stayed at an Aloft hotel in San Jose Costa Rica, which is supposed to be a step down from the W, but when compared to this hotel, the Aloft I stayed in was actually much better. So you can take a look at the pictures I have provided. They should speak volumes. No attention to quality. In fact, I forgot to take a picture of the ROUND bathroom light in which they cut a SQUARE hole to frame it. The shower rain head is also mounted too low. I am 6 feet even. And I had to bend down to get my head under it. There was room to push it higher, if the code allowed for that. The flooring was damaged and worn. The bedroom was clean, but a lot of the furniture was worn.

The mini bar was on the high end. I thought the $5 cokes I got out of the Ritz and Four Seasons mini bars were expensive, but after tax, one soda was over $9. Takes markup to a new level…

One nice thing about the room is that you can open the windows slightly. Not wide enough to jump out, but enough to allow some cool air to come in and hear the noise of times square, which can be fun if you aren't use to it.

So, in summary, this hotel probably shouldn't be in Amex's Fine Hotels program as it just simply isn't. Maybe it was 6 or 7 years ago, but it has not aged well. They must have a renovation planned sometime soon at its current state. Its just an average hotel with good service that needs some love from SPG to get it back to its glory days.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Dan E, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Hello CarZin - Happy to hear that you were complimentay of our talent. Each and everyone of them truly are special and committed to personalized service! I hope you were able to take advatage of all the great amenities extended to our AMex FHR guests, they certainly rival the other hotels in the program. I'm happy to share that we are in the process of updating multiple aspects of our guest room this spring to include a new desk chair, new White duvet and reupholster of our lounge chairs! These are some great refresh items that will reenergize the property. Please keep in touch and reach out should your travels bring you back to see us!

All the Best,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I decided to take our 4 month old to NYC for the weekend. We contacted the hotel in advance and you would have thought we sent a U Haul up in advance. They set up a crib, humidifier, baby bath and all sorts of amenities to make our trip easy. The Whatever Whenever dept rocks. They got us an un-getable dinner reservation and then found us a perfect sitter for a night we wanted to go out end everyone went out of their way to make our stay not just comfortable but fantastic.

Great trip and THANK YOU

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Congrats on the new born, thats so exciting! I'm glad you were able to exercise our Whatever Whenever service, as we truly try to personalize and make your escape with us comfortable and easy, sounds like we did just that ensuring that you had all the needs to support your new born in the comfort of your hotel room.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight for a single night in the city. Having lived in Manhattan for over 20 years and living outside of it (in New Jersey) for 5, I know the hotels in the area very well. I have stayed in many Midtown Manhattan/Times Square hotels over the years. This W Hotel has to be the worst one I have stayed at yet.

The "fabulous room" is anything but. Where do I begin? Well… The room is small & laid out poorly. Everything in this room was designed to look modern and sleek but there is little to no function to the layout of the room. There is just one single drawer for putting clothes and items away. There is a closet but it is smaller than most closets I have seen in hotels or cruise ships. A safe occupies the entire top shelf inside the closet so there is no additional storage room for folded items. The nightstands are acrylic cubes that are open so there is no privacy in stowing away any items. Honestly, if one was to stay here more than the one night we did, I have NO IDEA how they'd manage to unpack. Where would you put your things? Where would you store your luggage? For a "luxury hotel room"-and I have stayed in a lot of them in my time-this is one of the most user-unfriendly rooms I've ever stayed in.

The worst part of this room is, by far, the noise. We opted for the "fabulous room" because they are up on the higher floors. The windows, while double-paned, are definitely some of the thinnest I have ever seen in a modern Manhattan apartment or hotel building. We immediately noticed the noise when we first came into the room on a Saturday afternoon, up on the 50th floor facing west (away from Times Square). We could literally hear the noise echoing up between the buildings from the street. Sometimes you could actually hear individual people speaking down on the street! Initially, I did not think much of it since it was a Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, after a late night out dancing, we went to bed at 4 am only to be woken up on Sunday morning at 8 AM from the outrageous noise in the street (the NYC Half Marathon passed the hotel this morning). I know that New York City can be noisy at times, even higher up in modern apartment buildings. Like I said, I lived here for 20 years. I get it. But this was louder than any place I have ever been, especially when you consider that we were on the 50th floor. This hotel should invest in some insulated soundproof windows.

I feel very misled by the online reviews of this hotel and resent the idea that this is a "luxury hotel" and a "fabulous room". Who honestly thinks this? Have you ever stayed in a true luxury hotel? This hotel has one thing, and only one thing, going for it: it is in the middle of Times Square. Location. Beyond that, it's a dark, dingy, has-been/washed up, postmodern mess. This is not a 4 to 5 star hotel. This is more like a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 star hotel, at best. I have honestly stayed in Howard Johnson's and Courtyards by Marriott that are brighter, friendlier, quieter, more spacious and better laid out.

I wrote this review while still in the room before checking out. I didn't complete it's or post it online until I had a chance to see how staff/management handled our check out. When checking out, the young woman at reception was perfectly nice, but not once did she ask us if we enjoyed our stay, how things were in the room and/or if everything was to our liking. So, I have decided to share that response here with you. No. It was awful!

If you are looking for a hotel in Times Square/Midtown, Stay next door for 25% less, at the Marriott Marquis. Stay a few blocks north and east at the London. These are real 4 to 5-star hotels with rooms that are serviceable and comfortable. The W at Times Square is just simply not worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank DrEthan725
WNewYorkTimesSquare, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Ethan: I am sorry for your experience. Recognizing W's are not for everyone (the design can inspire or annoy, depending on who you are, and we take nightlife to a whole new level) and that Times Square, New York City is never really truly quiet, we do typically get high marks on our service and eagerness to make everyone feel special. One of our value propisitions is that as a guest, you are off the beaten track of mediocrity found in so much of the hotel world. My sense is that you have a sophisticated travel palate and would much more enjoy our St Regis or Westin brands. Please contact me if I can ever assist you in booking at any one of these properties. (The new Westin Grand Central Station is fabulous!) I appreciate your candor and wish you a great week.

Cordially,

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a night in the city and chose to stay at the W because it was close to where we needed to be. We checked in at 4:00 and the front desk said, "I just need to find you a room that is ready." Really?!? If check in is at 3:00, shouldn't all the rooms be ready by 4:00? Thankfully a room was ready for us.

We were in a "spacious" room on the 50th floor. As we went to unpack we realized there was only 1 drawer in the entire room. And, it was on the floor. If we were actually staying for an extended period of time, I don't know what we would have done with our clothes. There was a little room for hanging clothes in the closet, but nowhere for anything folded other than the one small drawer.

You would think being 50 feet up, it would be quite. You'd be wrong. The noise from outside flooded the room. I've never been in a building in Manhattan that was so poorly sound proofed. It seems like in their desire to build a sleek, modern hotel, W forgot that people actually need to stay here.

This hotel is not worth the premium charged for the location and name.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank MGSUCH

Hello - I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was not a memorable one. Our designers have created a layout in our guest rooms to maximize the space and optimize the floor plan so as to deliver to our guests an open room concept unlike many of our neighboring hotels. Certainly the excitement that Times Square brings can find its way into our guest rooms, so for future escapes plesae let us know if you're a light sleeper as we offer a variety of turndown amenities to help drown out all the excitement. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have this thing for boutique hotels. I travel a lot for work so I look for a hotel that could double up for work/play. Warmth and coolness matters. I want great beds, duvet covers, pillows, aura of modern simplicity, dark espresso bars and urban culture at the doorsteps.

W at Times Squares in NYC, unfortunately, failed to capture all those features.

The Pros about W Hotel in Times Square:
1. A+++ location if you are a tourist and want to do NYC with a Lonely Planet Guide
2. Amazing views from the 51st floors
3. Great customer service from the minute you walk in the door
4. Great "living room" as you enter the lobby on the 7th floor. Great way to meet and greet your friends and stay out of your room
5. Cool bar

The Cons:
1. Not quite clean bathrooms. My bathroom has residual hairs from the last guest. I don't know why that freaks me out (I'm not detailed orientated) but it does
2. Wifi is extra unless you are a member of the whatever hotel alliance network (I am part of so many, I can't tell if I have a reward package). Nonetheless, cool hotels have free and great wifi service
3. The beds are made out of some synthetic covers, reminiscent of the Super 8 hotels. Geez
4. $400 per night?. For that $, give me real duvet covers
5. The wear and tear on the lounger is unacceptable

In this price range, it's got to be perfect. Getting out of the room will be easy on this trip.

Room Tip: Hang out in the cool bar but avoid your room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Suzanne L
WNewYorkTimesSquare, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Hey there - Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a succinct review. I apologize for any transgressions in service, and you may be sure I have addressed your less than stellar observations with the appropriate personnel. (I did want to let you know I wrote a very large check for all new duvets just last week and desk chairs and loungers are in the midst of being replaced, too!) Further - I really appreciate you notating the great customer service and hip Living Room. Now - if you'll just commit to Starwood and obtain Gold Status with your SPG account you'll have comp Wi-Fi....

Contact me directly the next time you book a W anywhere worldwide - I will make certain you are treated like rock star.

Kind regards -

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I am not a fan of the W hotel chain, for some reason I was booked by my secretary into one in Boston and New York this year.

When I arrived at the New York one, I got to reception and couldnt hear myself think as the loud dance music thumped away, and gave me the worst headache.

I just wanted the run out of the building with my hands on my ears, I mean I felt like a rat near a rat repelling siren.

What was the need to play such loud dance music? What was the need to dim out the reception area and make the whole place feel like a tacky nightclub?

I am not old I am 32 so the hotel is aimed at travellers like myself, but I am not interested in staying in hotel where the reception cannot decide if it is a hotel lobby or a nightclub.

When I went to my floor, the corridors were dark and dingy, initially I wondered if this was to keep in tune with the club theme but I later realised they make keep the corridors dark so that you dont notice the poor finishing in the hotel.

When I got to my room, I put the lights on to see the poor paint work, poor craftsmanship over the whole room.

The room was tiny although it was dual aspect, having spent some time looking at hotel design and how to best utilise space for budget hotels, I noticed that the W capitalised on every aspect, every space saving trick they could use.

I asked reception if I could borrow a travel adapter for my phone charger to which they just told me I should buy one, which I didnt find very helpful.

At night the windows are not very well insulated from the ambient noise levels of time square so you can pretty much guarantee yourself a pretty awful nights sleep, especially if you are in a room with a dual aspect.

All in all - the W chain is not one for me, while they are going for the 30 somethings, I prefer my hotel lobby to be more like a hotel lobby, I like well lit lobbys with nice background music, or no background music, and I like brightly lit rooms that are well insulated to sound.

This particular hotel had a really seedy feel to it- avoid.

Room Tip: If you want somewhere peaceful and quiet dont stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank iloveluxuryholidays

Good morning, and thank you for your review. I think the bottom line here is that W is just not for everyone. Trust me - my better half would much prefer a St. Regis any day of the week to the tone and ambiance that W Times Square has. I am sorry that your request for an adaptor was not met immediately with an "I will take care of it right away, sir!", but rest assured that finer point of service education has already been attended to. I do hope you'll consider another brand within the Starwood system, whether it be St Regis, Westin, Sheraton, etc. Be sure to let me know the next time you book any of our more than 1040 hotels worldwide - I will personally reach out to the GM on your behalf.

Kind regards -