“Overpriced Mediocrity” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Overpriced Mediocrity”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight for a single night in the city. Having lived in Manhattan for over 20 years and living outside of it (in New Jersey) for 5, I know the hotels in the area very well. I have stayed in many Midtown Manhattan/Times Square hotels over the years. This W Hotel has to be the worst one I have stayed at yet.

The "fabulous room" is anything but. Where do I begin? Well… The room is small & laid out poorly. Everything in this room was designed to look modern and sleek but there is little to no function to the layout of the room. There is just one single drawer for putting clothes and items away. There is a closet but it is smaller than most closets I have seen in hotels or cruise ships. A safe occupies the entire top shelf inside the closet so there is no additional storage room for folded items. The nightstands are acrylic cubes that are open so there is no privacy in stowing away any items. Honestly, if one was to stay here more than the one night we did, I have NO IDEA how they'd manage to unpack. Where would you put your things? Where would you store your luggage? For a "luxury hotel room"-and I have stayed in a lot of them in my time-this is one of the most user-unfriendly rooms I've ever stayed in.

The worst part of this room is, by far, the noise. We opted for the "fabulous room" because they are up on the higher floors. The windows, while double-paned, are definitely some of the thinnest I have ever seen in a modern Manhattan apartment or hotel building. We immediately noticed the noise when we first came into the room on a Saturday afternoon, up on the 50th floor facing west (away from Times Square). We could literally hear the noise echoing up between the buildings from the street. Sometimes you could actually hear individual people speaking down on the street! Initially, I did not think much of it since it was a Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, after a late night out dancing, we went to bed at 4 am only to be woken up on Sunday morning at 8 AM from the outrageous noise in the street (the NYC Half Marathon passed the hotel this morning). I know that New York City can be noisy at times, even higher up in modern apartment buildings. Like I said, I lived here for 20 years. I get it. But this was louder than any place I have ever been, especially when you consider that we were on the 50th floor. This hotel should invest in some insulated soundproof windows.

I feel very misled by the online reviews of this hotel and resent the idea that this is a "luxury hotel" and a "fabulous room". Who honestly thinks this? Have you ever stayed in a true luxury hotel? This hotel has one thing, and only one thing, going for it: it is in the middle of Times Square. Location. Beyond that, it's a dark, dingy, has-been/washed up, postmodern mess. This is not a 4 to 5 star hotel. This is more like a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 star hotel, at best. I have honestly stayed in Howard Johnson's and Courtyards by Marriott that are brighter, friendlier, quieter, more spacious and better laid out.

I wrote this review while still in the room before checking out. I didn't complete it's or post it online until I had a chance to see how staff/management handled our check out. When checking out, the young woman at reception was perfectly nice, but not once did she ask us if we enjoyed our stay, how things were in the room and/or if everything was to our liking. So, I have decided to share that response here with you. No. It was awful!

If you are looking for a hotel in Times Square/Midtown, Stay next door for 25% less, at the Marriott Marquis. Stay a few blocks north and east at the London. These are real 4 to 5-star hotels with rooms that are serviceable and comfortable. The W at Times Square is just simply not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank DrEthan725
WNewYorkTimesSquare, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Ethan: I am sorry for your experience. Recognizing W's are not for everyone (the design can inspire or annoy, depending on who you are, and we take nightlife to a whole new level) and that Times Square, New York City is never really truly quiet, we do typically get high marks on our service and eagerness to make everyone feel special. One of our value propisitions is that as a guest, you are off the beaten track of mediocrity found in so much of the hotel world. My sense is that you have a sophisticated travel palate and would much more enjoy our St Regis or Westin brands. Please contact me if I can ever assist you in booking at any one of these properties. (The new Westin Grand Central Station is fabulous!) I appreciate your candor and wish you a great week.

Cordially,

Jim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (925)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a night in the city and chose to stay at the W because it was close to where we needed to be. We checked in at 4:00 and the front desk said, "I just need to find you a room that is ready." Really?!? If check in is at 3:00, shouldn't all the rooms be ready by 4:00? Thankfully a room was ready for us.

We were in a "spacious" room on the 50th floor. As we went to unpack we realized there was only 1 drawer in the entire room. And, it was on the floor. If we were actually staying for an extended period of time, I don't know what we would have done with our clothes. There was a little room for hanging clothes in the closet, but nowhere for anything folded other than the one small drawer.

You would think being 50 feet up, it would be quite. You'd be wrong. The noise from outside flooded the room. I've never been in a building in Manhattan that was so poorly sound proofed. It seems like in their desire to build a sleek, modern hotel, W forgot that people actually need to stay here.

This hotel is not worth the premium charged for the location and name.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MGSUCH
Dan E, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Hello - I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was not a memorable one. Our designers have created a layout in our guest rooms to maximize the space and optimize the floor plan so as to deliver to our guests an open room concept unlike many of our neighboring hotels. Certainly the excitement that Times Square brings can find its way into our guest rooms, so for future escapes plesae let us know if you're a light sleeper as we offer a variety of turndown amenities to help drown out all the excitement. We look forward to welcome you back soon!
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have this thing for boutique hotels. I travel a lot for work so I look for a hotel that could double up for work/play. Warmth and coolness matters. I want great beds, duvet covers, pillows, aura of modern simplicity, dark espresso bars and urban culture at the doorsteps.

W at Times Squares in NYC, unfortunately, failed to capture all those features.

The Pros about W Hotel in Times Square:
1. A+++ location if you are a tourist and want to do NYC with a Lonely Planet Guide
2. Amazing views from the 51st floors
3. Great customer service from the minute you walk in the door
4. Great "living room" as you enter the lobby on the 7th floor. Great way to meet and greet your friends and stay out of your room
5. Cool bar

The Cons:
1. Not quite clean bathrooms. My bathroom has residual hairs from the last guest. I don't know why that freaks me out (I'm not detailed orientated) but it does
2. Wifi is extra unless you are a member of the whatever hotel alliance network (I am part of so many, I can't tell if I have a reward package). Nonetheless, cool hotels have free and great wifi service
3. The beds are made out of some synthetic covers, reminiscent of the Super 8 hotels. Geez
4. $400 per night?. For that $, give me real duvet covers
5. The wear and tear on the lounger is unacceptable

In this price range, it's got to be perfect. Getting out of the room will be easy on this trip.

Room Tip: Hang out in the cool bar but avoid your room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Suzanne L
WNewYorkTimesSquare, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hey there - Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a succinct review. I apologize for any transgressions in service, and you may be sure I have addressed your less than stellar observations with the appropriate personnel. (I did want to let you know I wrote a very large check for all new duvets just last week and desk chairs and loungers are in the midst of being replaced, too!) Further - I really appreciate you notating the great customer service and hip Living Room. Now - if you'll just commit to Starwood and obtain Gold Status with your SPG account you'll have comp Wi-Fi....

Contact me directly the next time you book a W anywhere worldwide - I will make certain you are treated like rock star.

Kind regards -

london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I am not a fan of the W hotel chain, for some reason I was booked by my secretary into one in Boston and New York this year.

When I arrived at the New York one, I got to reception and couldnt hear myself think as the loud dance music thumped away, and gave me the worst headache.

I just wanted the run out of the building with my hands on my ears, I mean I felt like a rat near a rat repelling siren.

What was the need to play such loud dance music? What was the need to dim out the reception area and make the whole place feel like a tacky nightclub?

I am not old I am 32 so the hotel is aimed at travellers like myself, but I am not interested in staying in hotel where the reception cannot decide if it is a hotel lobby or a nightclub.

When I went to my floor, the corridors were dark and dingy, initially I wondered if this was to keep in tune with the club theme but I later realised they make keep the corridors dark so that you dont notice the poor finishing in the hotel.

When I got to my room, I put the lights on to see the poor paint work, poor craftsmanship over the whole room.

The room was tiny although it was dual aspect, having spent some time looking at hotel design and how to best utilise space for budget hotels, I noticed that the W capitalised on every aspect, every space saving trick they could use.

I asked reception if I could borrow a travel adapter for my phone charger to which they just told me I should buy one, which I didnt find very helpful.

At night the windows are not very well insulated from the ambient noise levels of time square so you can pretty much guarantee yourself a pretty awful nights sleep, especially if you are in a room with a dual aspect.

All in all - the W chain is not one for me, while they are going for the 30 somethings, I prefer my hotel lobby to be more like a hotel lobby, I like well lit lobbys with nice background music, or no background music, and I like brightly lit rooms that are well insulated to sound.

This particular hotel had a really seedy feel to it- avoid.

Room Tip: If you want somewhere peaceful and quiet dont stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank iloveluxuryholidays
Good morning, and thank you for your review. I think the bottom line here is that W is just not for everyone. Trust me - my better half would much prefer a St. Regis any day of the week to the tone and ambiance that W Times Square has. I am sorry that your request for an adaptor was not met immediately with an "I will take care of it right away, sir!", but rest assured that finer point of service education has already been attended to. I do hope you'll consider another brand within the Starwood system, whether it be St Regis, Westin, Sheraton, etc. Be sure to let me know the next time you book any of our more than 1040 hotels worldwide - I will personally reach out to the GM on your behalf.

Kind regards -

Pelican Waters
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is on Times Square so you are right in the thick of things. Go out one way and you are in Times square and then go the other way and you are on Broadway.We stayed in a cool Corner room on the 46th floor and there was always something to see. This property is fantastic and all the staff were very helpful and oh so friendly. It probably helped that we met my brother there. He lives in Brussels and I hadn't seen him for 12 years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're all about creating the magic, so I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the hotel and Times Square. Hope your brother had a great time, I'm sure it was quite different than Brussels.
Naij
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

The reviews of the W hotel hare great but do not compare to experiencing it!

From the moment you alight from the vehicle that gets you to the front door all the way to your room.................... It is nothing short of wonderful!

A dear friend suggests that I stay there if i could afford it and I thought i might as well; considering it was going to be a short trip to New York! Everyone is very warm and very accommodating! I have always believed that your first point of contact with anyone representing an organization determines what you should expect from it! In W's case, expect to be cared for like you are the only person in the world! They are literary that good! Actually they are great people!

One of the amazing things is the foot mat in the elevators which they change morning, afternoon and evening.................. that's the definition of attention to detail!

Check in is a breeze.................... I was there for all of 5mins!

The food is brilliant! Both room service and Blue Fin!

Sweat (gym) makes you do just that and my best part .......................

The BED............................... PURE UNADULTERATED HEAVENLY BLISS!

I was glad I stayed there and whenever I am in NY again............................. W has a new resident!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Yasmina9
WOW! Thank you for the amazing feedback! We are all about creating a personalized and memorable experience and it sounds like we did just that! We love our regulars so please do keep in touch, we look forward to welcoming you back to Times Square!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

After two bad stays in the midtown Westins the previous two weeks, I went back to the W. Here for 3 nights. Work up the first morning and no hot water. Called down stairs and was told that the power company had messed up. Took a real cold semi-shower and was in a real bad mood - 3 strikes out for Starwood.

Around noon, I looked my email. I got something for Hotel operations apologizing. Seems that the water is heated by steam provided by the power company (foreign concept to someone from Dallas but explains a lot) and the power company decided to shut off Times Square without telling anyone in the middle of the night. I was updated via email through the day and new I had hot water running before I was back in the room (yes I checked when I got back). Found a nice standard note and a free cocktail card in the room. The neat thing was I found a few extra points in my starwood account.

Overall - huge win for the W Times Square - it is pulling me out of the Times Square Element after I gave up on the Westin

OK, this is my boiler plate road warrior hotel checklist. I sadly have around 125 nights a year in hotels for work and gladly I have 25 nights with my family. Here is my score for my business stays. It is about work and ease but perks help. (FYI - I don't do room service and do hotel restaurants maybe twice a year)

Can I charge my stuff while I sleep - no - had to use my extension cord from the wall
Can I charge my stuff while I work - yep but didn't work in room
Is the a Chair you can sit in and read - no - W does not seem to want real chairs
Can I actually get the room below 68 to sleep - yes
Desk you can sit at and work - yep
Room that just feels right - yes - great room (but no coffee maker :(
Bed that you can sleep in - of course - W bed and pillows
How hard is to turn light off - pain in the rear
So how loud is it next door or outside - I was facing Times Square so heard it all night -
Is there even enough light - no
Plastic Cups or Real Glasses - glasses
Did I walk around the area for food / beer / relaxation - off course - and had a free drink but don't think I was hip enough for the bar tender
Internet Speed - real slow
Can I keep the sun out of my room - yes
Do my Newspapers Show Up - no
Is there any reason to look out my window - yes if you have not seem Times Square 100 times
Is the Gym ready for Rocky or a spoiled old road warrior - did not use
Is the a Club Lounge - nope
Parking Notes - didn't use but could not imagine what it would cost
Front Desk - 125% - thye always have great people here over the years
Room Safe - ???

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
So glad to hear that we turned around your Streak and won you over at the W Times Square. We are truly as strong as the talent here at the hotel whom are all committed to driving the personalized experience, which looks like we succeeded with you! We look forward to welcome you back.

All the Best,