“Great location, but can be noisy”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #268 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel lobby, entrance, and overall ambiance is really nice - as you would expect from a W hotel. Service was great too. We were upgraded to a suite on one of the higher floors, which was awesome. The suite was spacious and most importantly, high enough where the street level noise wasn't TOO bad. But definitely try to get a higher floor if you can because even way up there, you can hear the noise below - I can't imagine how loud it would be if you were on a lower floor.

The room itself was pretty nice - no complaints. I wouldn't say it's the nicest W I've stayed at, but it's definitely a good choice. Location can't be beat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I just returned from a quick weekend trip to the W Times Square with my husband and friends to NYC for my birthday and have to say, it may have been one of the best trips we have ever made to the city!

Previously, we had visited New York and had stayed at another hotel, but were looking for a change for this trip. After searching the internet and reading review after review for a couple of days, we finally booked at the W Times Square and are so glad! The hotel staff went above and beyond to make this trip memorable for us and the hotel itself was great!

Leading up to the trip, I had a couple of questions about the location, restaurants, etc. and emailed Patrick. He was so helpful, pleasant, and was always to quick to response to anything I asked him. (Thank you, thank you, thank you!!)

We got to the hotel late on Friday night and were greeted at the check-in desk by Alex. As the first person we had contact with at the hotel, he immediately set the tone for a great weekend to come! After we checked in to our "Cool Corner Room" we quickly realized the room had been named perfectly! The view from the 47th floor was AMAZING and when we return to this hotel, which we will, I will definitely be booking this type of room again.

Sunday morning, we had a couple of questions for the concierge and that's when we met Amber. She was so patient and helpful! She took the time to answer all of our questions (more than once) and also helped us to make a last minute reservation for a Sunday brunch at Tribeca Grill. Knowing that we may get lost or have another question, Amber provided us with a number to call her in case we needed her later in the day (which we did). ;)

As if the staff wasn't enough, the hotel itself was awesome! The location is in the heart of Times Square, the decor was updated, and our room was extremely clean the entire time.

Another perk for us was the use of the complimentary Acura Experience. With a Sunday evening reservation to Serendipity for dinner, we were able to schedule a personal ride to the restaurant with the best driver ever... much better than a cab ride or driver!

Writing this review, makes me ready to return to the city... and when I do, I will definitely be returning to the W Times Square!

Room Tip: Cool Corner Room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank edstephens
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We chose this hotel for a couple of reasons; Times Square location, W's reputation, and the fact that it wasn't your typical corporate affair. Cannot fault the location. Right on Times Sq near the red steps. Starbucks opposite. McDonalds over the road. Hard Rock a short walk. Central Park 10 mins walk. The staff here were very good, attentive without being over the top. The room had a double aspect with great views of Times Sq and the Hudson. This was a great base to explore. Contrary to what I had read before our trip, the room was quite a nice size. The minor criticisms that I would have are: No free wi-fi. Given what we were paying, it was a shame that we had to go over the road to get free wi-fi. May have considered paying for Wi-Fi but it was per device, which I thought was rough. The finish in the room was a little less than I expected, the carpet was frayed where it met the hard floor. This is such a shame in an otherwise well maintained hotel with great decor. My final issue is that there was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. This was dealth with adequately by the staff when I asked, who provided this, but I felt that a hotel of this standard should have had this automatically, it shouldn't be something I had to ask for. These minor niggles aside, the hotel was modern in decor with a trendy bar area and fabulous sea food restaurant to boot.

Room Tip: Go for a cool corner, worth the extra for views
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went there for a three day weekend trip and you can't beat the location. Right there in Times Square, next to all the broadway shows and walking distance to shops, and all sights. Catching a cab was easy enough and the staff was very helpful. The rooms are small but nice. Get a room with View to see the lights. The only thing that bugged me was that we got in early and we could not check in until the 3:00 pm formal check in time. The hotel has no food service in the bar area which would have been nice. And no dine area. The breakfast dine in... is in your room ...which are TOOO small to try to eat in your room. Overall, GREAT modern hotel ... nice room, and great location. But, they could add food to the bar to make it better. Will go back the next time I am in NYC.

Room Tip: Must get a high floor and with a city view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel was brilliant the location the staff the rooms the service was all spot on. One thing I really liked about this hotel was where it was situated its in the heart of time square and close by to all other attractions.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We returned to this hotel for a 7 night stay in December 2012 after being impressed by our first stay in 2009. The location is fantastic, second to none.

We stayed in a cool corner room, it was spacious and funky and had everything we needed, housekeeping did a fantastic job of keeping our room in order for us everyday!

On arrival we had a bit of a wait for our room however we were able to leave our luggage and head out to explore and grab a bite to eat so this wasn't a huge issue.

We had a problem with the safe in our room through the week, it wouldn't lock. I called down to report this, a girl named Tia came to the room to fix it within 5 minutes, she was so nice and apologetic and managed to fix the issue really quickly - we were really impressed with the service.

We were also extremly impressed by the fantastic service we received from Patrick Armano, we travel alot and have never experienced the type of care and attention to detail we got from Patrick during our stay and the W Times Square, we were so impressed, he is an asset to the hotel.

All in all we had a fantastic stay and when we return to NYC we wouldn't stay anywhere but here!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at this property from the 26th December 2012 to the 2nd January 2013, and could not have been more impressed. I received a great deal through my travel agent, so I was not expecting a brilliant room, however was nicely surprised once I got there.The room was clean and tidy, had a view over times square (was not directly facing times square, but I could definitely see it all - the lights, the people, the Nivea stages for New Years Eve). The bed was comfy, rooms were clean and tidy, and the staff were wonderful. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.
I did not order room service, so I cannot comment on that, however dinner at Blue Fin was lovely, and the vibe at the Living Room bar was very warm and ambient, and was a great place to finish off a night out.
The only downsides for me were that there was no bath in the room (a small concession really considering the price I paid) - which would have been nice after days on end of exploring the city by foot, and the WiFi pricing was quite expensive (I was advised however when I was checking in that if I became a SPG rewards member that this would be free for the whole stay - worth rembering if you need WiFi). I didn't really find the need to use this though, as there was a Starbucks directly across the street with free WiFi, which was more than sufficient for me to check my emails.
On a side note, if you do not enjoy the idea of being in an overpopulated tourist area, then this is probably not the hotel for you. The ticket sellers and tour guides are constantly ready and waiting for you. This is an issue you will find anywhere in times square though.
All in all, I had an amazing stay at the W, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone who wants to be in the Times Square area.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less noise from Times Square.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo