“Great hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

this hotel is so so fancy! i loved the location- just next to times square. Everything in this hotel is new and room was amazing- really gave a new york contemporary feel! At first, we didn't ask specifically for a non smoking room, so we got a stinky room on the lowest floor with a smokinh porch- it was packed with fag butts- truely filthy and disguisting. We asked to move to a new room so eventually they moved us and it was really nice!

Room Tip: High floor!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

stayed at the w in the 1st week of oct 2012,intial thoughts upon arrival was that i loved the waterfall entrance,the reception is a bit dark but the staff very helpful.asked about internet and was told if i sign up as a starwood prefered quest then it would be free for my stay(free to join).hotel room very clean and overlooking the m and m shop right on the corner of main strip of times square could not get much closer 15 steps from entrance to times square.what ever you want concierge very helpful directions and special request for partners birthday including a free upgrade to better room.bar area in reception very expensive and full of the hip and happening people in new york prefer something a bit more athentic but each to their own.would go back to this hotel only reason why not 5 stars room service and welcome box in room prices very expensive otherwise very nice comfortable stay rbed really comfortable had no problems getting to sleep could hear some traffic noise room size good.

thanks big dave

Room Tip: contact whatever you want concierge if you have special request
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Guest_Experience_Dir, Director of Guest Experience at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hi there 439bigdave,

It's so great you had a good experience with us (we love the waterfall too) and congrats on becoming an SPG member! We look forward to welcoming you back. On your next escape, contact me at patrick.armano@whotels.com for another heightened experience.

All the best,

Patrick Armano
Director of Guest Experience
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The rooms are quite small here, but expected for NYC. One time I had a bigger suite. The views are great and the bar on the 2nd floor is a great hangout area. If you want to be in the middle of times square, this is a great option.

Room Tip: Get TS view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi there whip383,

Thanks for sharing your feedback! I'm so happy you were able to relax and recline in the heart of the Big Apple. The next time you want to escape with us, whether to slip away for the night or just to mingle over a signature cocktail in our Living Room, be sure to drop me a line at patrick.armano@whotels.com so that I may heighten your experience.

All the best,

Patrick Armano
Director of Guest Experience
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm strong believer in that a disgruntle customer is an opportunity to gain a customer for life.

I decided to drive down to NY to catch The Lion King with my GF at the last minute and since the Westin was booked solid I booked at The W. My initial experience with the valet staff was less than stellar ( to be honest I'm not a fan of the whole club bouncer thing that the W does with their bellman but that's just a matter of preference) in any case I decided to drop the GM Jim an email to fill him in on my bad experience. Within the hour I received a reply email from Jim expressing his apology and assuring me that the situation will be dealt with. When I got back in my room after a stroll through Times Square I was surprised to be greeted with a complimentary bottle of champagne and a very nice personally written card by the operations manager Daniel once again to apologize. To add to the personal touch, Jim comped breakfast and the valet service for us making it impossible to remain upset about the minor glitch that took place in the beginning. All in all I was very impressed with the attention that Jim gave to my concerns and it has really strengthened my confidence and loyalty to Starwoods Properties enough to aim to make elite status with them.

Now the hotel itself: the location is pristine, right by all the broadway shows and right in the heart of the Times Square action. The decor is modern like all W properties and they have a really nice lounge that attracts a nice crowd, it's open till 4 am so if your not feeling like hitting a club this is really a nice alternative lounge. The room was a good size for a New York Hotel and while I got a room right next to the elevator with a bad view I really couldn't complain being that I booked just a day before ( never really understood why people complain about views in reviews anyway, someones gotta get those rooms) The Blue Fin was a hit, good sushi and ambience. Cleanliness was superb and expected from the W. Lastly the staff were great, very friendly and accommodating.

1 Thank dgirma1980
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This post I consider a public service message to NYC travelers, and I hope that it clarifies how you pick your hotel.
In the past 14 months, I have stayed at least 2 nights at 24 hotels in the midtown/times square area. Yes, a combination of work and my thirst for variety.
Sometimes my expections were in line, not often were they met let alone exceeded. That's just the culture this neighborhood of hotel managers adapts to: non-recurring travelers who they assume are simply excited enough by all the lights and video to care about where they rest their heads or take notice to
amenities.
The boutique/1 off hotels are a gamble, you could score the intercontinental and win or take the paramount and its hyped reviews, and opt for a bus stop.
It's the larger brands that we rely on when gamble isn't picked. Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton, doubletree, Westin, CrowneP, Rennaissance - all of you have taken advantage of people paying $500 per/nt because it's what youre told to do.
I'm not bashing, sorry. Im drawing undivided attention to the W Hotel Times Square as the only major brand that has not lost it's soul or it's dedication to the guest. Its the only hotel that welcomes you at street level. No matter where you are arriving from, you are a hometown regular here. The staff is just cool. Think about it - it makes the all difference. Their people are at work when they are at work, not grumbling or tired. Sometimes you may need a favor and this hotel lives by WHATEVER WHENEVER and they mean it. Needed a Gillette Fusion razor and YooHoo at 2am, it was at my door by 2:25am.
The bathrooms all have product line from Bliss Spa. The minibars have items you are actually tempted to pay for, the hallways are vacuumed probably twice a day because it always smells like the abercrombie store. The front desk girls are adorable. The living room bar is great atmosphere. The building is clean. The people are clean. Fellow guests are have courtesy.

I don't want anyone thinking that a stay in Times Square is not NYC. The W here is a game changer and it's noticeable and if you know how to book, it's among the best bangs for the buck. Peace, 3Chainz.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank 3chainz
Independence, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the W times square this past weekend. The location was great, right in the heart of times square where all the action lives. A chic hotel that really lived up to its image, which brings me to say that the hotel was impeccable, from the lobby bathroom to the absence of dust on the tables in my room. The service was great as well- employees were up to par on their willingness to make my experience the best it can be. I definitely recommend this hotel for an all around comfortable experience in the beautiful New York City.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have to be careful when I review a hotel I have paid for with points. It is "free" but I try to review as if I would have stayed there. The coffee was a big deal for my husband. I did not care but thought if W did not offer in the room they should at least have in the lobby. My hubby had to go to Starbucks on Time Square and that was B U S Y. The location was great if you wanted to be at time square. We were using points and this was a great option. I would not pay 600 for a spectacular room here. Window needed cleaning, no coffee and I am no so much a Time Square person.

The service was attentive and quick. Food we ordered when hungry and tired was good. I think I just have trouble paying in New York what could get me vip in Virginia. I understand though!

Room Tip: May we have a view please, if possible?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WNewYorkTimesSquare, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hi there! Thanks so much for giving us a quick critique. I feel badly you were not made aware that we have coffee makers available for free upon request. Please contact me directly before your next trip and I will make sure to put this into your guest profile. (The Starbucks across the street is the single busiest one in the United States apparently!) We really take pride in our service here and I am happy you noticed it. We just finished a building renovation, which is why your windows were not as 'show ready' as I would have liked. Rest assured they are being taken care of as we speak. Please do come back and see us again -

Warmly,