“The W -- Trendy Hotel in Times Square”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #268 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 17, 2008

W Times Square is a very trendy hotel. Upon entering the lobby from the ground floor, you experience a water fall on the ceiling. It's cool! You have to take the elevator to the 7th floor to check in. The elevator plays cool, funky music, not the typical Muzak you here. On Floor 7, you will find the Whatever, Wherever congierge, the living room/bar and check-in. You have to take separate elevators to your room--it's an added safety feature so that bar-goers do not go up to the floors with the rooms. You will have to put your room card in the slot for the elevator to work. The hallways of the room floors are dark--that is one of my only complaints. It goes with the trendy vibe but I think the walls are black, lending to a cavelike feel. If you have poor vision, beware! The rooms are great. The mattresses can't be beat. The linens are soft and the satin comforter is wonderful! Loved the flat screen tv. My only other complaint was the shower. There is only half of a glass door. Kind of strange. The water won't flood over even though you think it will. I would have enjoyed the shower more if there was a full curtain or shower door. There are sliding doors to the bathroom without a lock. There's no fan in the bathroom. I did miss turn down service. For the amount of money, it should be something that is included, not something you have to ask for. I also enjoyed the Bliss products. The Blue Fin offers a tasty breakfast menu. It is a bit pricey but it is located right on the ground floor of the hotel. It's convenient. There are tons of Starbucks around if that is more up your alley. Overall, our stay was great, comfortable and we would return.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 23, 2008

I planned my NY trip 4 months ahead and I made my hotel reservation 3 months before. Everything was going fine, made my confirmation call to make sure my reservation is good....

however when my friends and I arrived at the hotel, the staff (not kind, no smile) began to look for other available rooms on her computer. Later she was saying, "We ran out of the rooms you reserved, if you like to get the room you reserved, you have to wait till we give you a call" When I asked her how long, she just said we have to wait till they give us a call. (wow, unbelievable)

What is the point of making a reservation? Yes, people make reservation so that they do not have to wait for their room at arrival. Still at this moment, there was no apology from this staff.

After complaining for 5 mins, I was able to talk to their 'manager' and he was busy trying to explain what was happening instead of apologizing. After another complaining for 5-10 mins, the manager ended up calling the cleaning lady to clean up our room in hurry. 3 months ahead-Reserved room, not ready? Never seen this before.

After 40 mins of waiting in the lobby we were able to get our room.

On the 3rd day, at 2 am in the morning, fire alarm goes off and put all the people in panic. Couldn't sleep.

Service- zero
Staff- zero

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank tkimomj
Reviewed January 21, 2008

WE booked the "W" then I looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor . As they were mixed I felt nervous that I'd booked the right hotel!
We arrived and all the doorman were brill ( Thankyou "TJ")
The hotel is very modern and contempory. You walk through the lobby and get the lift to the 7th floor where the reception is!
We was told that our room was on the 40th floor. We had to put our room card in a slot in the lift then press our floor number. I dissagreed with other reports that some thought this was too much and a pain! I loved the extra security as we were 3 women alone and knowing that you could only use the lift if you had a room key was a comfort!
We had a fab room on the 40th floor overlooking "Broadway" which was great! The room was modern, very comfortable beds with everything we needed and quiet, we didn't have any noise at all!
.I agree with other reports that the corridoors are dark,as they're keeping the flow of the modern feel, and if you suffer from poor vision then perhaps this isn't the hotel for you!
All in all would I go back? Yes I would! My 15 year old daughter would love this hotel ! It's perfectly placed for all the shows which are within mins walking distance!
The "Blue Fin" restaurant is good with live "Jaz music" and the hotel bar is buzzing!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank kim4
Reviewed January 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the W Times Square in December. We picked this hotel becuase it was hip and modern and felt that it would provide the experience that we were looking for, while costing the same as other hotels in the area.

Loved:
- the location in Times Square, within walking distance to Rockerfeller Center (Top of the Rock, NBC Studios, Saks), 5th Avenue, Radio City Music Hall, Broadway , MOMA etc. and many great restaurants (Bobby Van's and Carmine's) and shopping
- the bar on the 7th floor was always busy with hotel patrons and the after work crowd and a great place to hang out after dinner.
- the hotel was clean
- the music in the elevators and in the room (CD)
- the comfortable bed!
- the big shower
- the complimentary Bliss bath and body products!
- the view from the 39th floor of the Wonderful room

After reading the reviews, and looking through the pictures, we were prepared for what we got- it's not luxurious, but it definitely has a young, hip feel to it. This is not a classic hotel- the hallways are black and the reception is on the 7th floor along with the bar- so it's really important to decide what type of experience you are looking for. This hotel may not be ideal for older travellers looking for a contemporary experience and those with kids. Overall, we were very happy with our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrequentTraveller12
Reviewed January 16, 2008

I have stayed in the W Times Square probably 20 times over the last three years, and reluctantly, I have decided not to go back until they renovate or make changes. Here are the key problems:

1. Rooms have deteriorated badly. They have become markedly dirtier, and are fraying everywhere. Desk chairs are broken, and furniture is chipped and worn. Lightbulbs don't work, and walls are scuffed. Hall carpets and walls are dirty, so it is probably a good thing they have very dim lighting. Many rooms smell of smoke.

2. Despite my going there very frequently, and being an SPG premier member, I never receive any benefit from the hotel -- in contrast to the W Union Sq, which upgrades me and provides little comps. Every time I go, it is like the first time I have ever been there as far as they are concerned.

3. Don't bother with the Whiskey, downstairs, which is ten years past its prime.

The best things about the place remain the sushi and food at Blue Fin, and the location. Options have expanded in the Times Square area, however, so I would look elsewhere. If you like W hotels, the W Union Square is the best one they have in the city by a longshot.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank 8Track
Reviewed January 14, 2008

Booked the W for an evening in New York. Went with 3 girlfriends. Hotel was uniquely contemporary with candles, waterfalls and dark walls. Fun to sit in Living Room Bar late into night. This is definately for a younger crowd. (We're 50...more geared towards 25-40's). Hotel room was a little worn. Also, hotel room and bathroom small.
We found service to be very good.

Overall, it was a unique experience, but if you are more traditional, have kids and are 50+ don't think this hotel is for you. The Westin or Marriott, etc are a better choice.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank 65Countries
Reviewed January 12, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night over Thanksgiving. This was apparently our 5th stay under my name as the hotel gave us a small gift marking the occasion (a set of thick cards covering walking tours of different parts of NY -- very neat & useful).

The rooms are small but the interiors are arranged well enough that they are quite functional. I find the W beds to be very good. Not so much for the sheets & duvet -- which are good but nothing exceptional -- but for the firm mattress. We were celebrating our 10th anniversary & the hotel staff surprised us with a corner room on the top (57th) floor. Stunning views! They also had a small plate of chocolate-dipped strawberries in the room with happy anniversary written in chocolate -- a very nice touch.

We didn't stay in the room very much or use the hotel's facilities extensively on this stay. I used the gym, which is small but has well-maintained equipment. (We've eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner at Blue Fin in the past and enjoyed the food. I actually look forward to room service at this hotel as the quality is good and the selection extensive.)

The doormen & desk staff were friendly & had no attitude whatsoever -- rare in a somewhat stylish hotel in NY! The location is a plus or a minus, depending on what one is looking for. It works well-enough for us -- we can walk to the park & get downtown easily enough via cab.

We'll surely stay again, though we wouldn't bring our daughter along due to the small rooms.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple